“Comfortable place to stay with a fantastic location!”
Review of English Bay Inn

English Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We celebrated our 15th anniversary at the English Bay Inn. The host Greg took great care to make our stay comfortable and provided valuable information about area dining and entertainment options, and were given a map of the city. The breakfasts were tasty and timed just right. We were able to enjoy a morning run in nearby Stanley Park and return to a fireside breakfast of fresh fruit and a seafood omelet. After breakfast guests were treated to a bottomless cup of coffee/tea and continued conversation. We can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 28, 2009

...once you get closer, the wrinkles, cracks and crevices appear.

I've waited a bit to write this review as I wanted some time to think about whether or not my initial feelings were correct. But since they haven't changed, here goes. This is the first time I've been disappointed by TripAdvisor reviews. This place is simply overpriced for what is offered so I cannot in good faith, recommend it to others unless they know what they are getting into.

First of all, can someone tell me who is the mysterious Greg??

Secondly, I read the multitude of positive reviews, saw the photos and was stunned by how beautiful everything was; couldn't wait to get there. The outside is lovely but when we walked in, the musty smell hit us full on. The rooms are small (we knew this and are ok with smaller, European sized rooms) but the sliding glass doors in the tub were water-rusted, the bathroom window sashes were completely filled with mold spots, the side bedroom wall had a big scrape from one of the side chairs, there was a gash in the carpet and a layer of dust to complete the ensemble. If the price/room was lowered to say, $110/night, then I would been more accepting and philosophically shrugged it off. Breakfast was passable. Yeah, this is just a place to sleep but for $169/night and a fabulous set of reviews and photos, I expected much more.

To be fair, the dining room is quite lovely and the chintz decorations plus painting encrusted walls were nice to see. If you are looking for an excellent location near the walkways, Stanley Park and Denman Street (has fabulous choices in restaurants; I recommend Kingyo and Banana Leaf, followed by a dessert run to Cupcakes), this is the place. There is also parking - 3 spots around in the back.

I just wish the place would have done the photos justice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Scree
Reviewed February 2, 2009

January 2009
Vancouver, B.C
Written by Annie

My partner and I wanted to be tourists in our hometown. This included choosing a cozy and private Bed and Breakfast in the cosmopolitan West End of Vancouver.
The English Bay Inn, with its lovely antique decor, and charming host Greg, were a delightful find! The service was excellent and the breakfasts sumptuous.
Whether you are a Vancouver resident, or a tourist from afar, we would highly recommend this tasteful abode.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Its always a daunting task for the independent traveller to choose where to stay during a multi-location trip. Personal tastes, convenient location and budget all play a part in your decision. Get it right, and the rest of your party applaud you, but get it wrong and your holiday could be ruined. Fortunately for me, the English Bay Inn was one of my better decisions. We arrived later than planned to find an envelope with a key inside, and an offer to make ourselves at home. How many hotels would trust you like that ? The EBI is one of a few remaining large houses that were abundant in the West end. It sits between high rise buildings like a rose between thorns. A nice quiet area perfectly located to take advantage of all that Vancouver has to offer. We chose the four poster bed and fell about giggling as we tried to climb into it. Breakfast was a time to meet and chat with other guests from all corners of the globe. As a Yorkshire man, my personal taste in breakfast requires a frying pan, various pork products and eggs,but that wasnt to be. My travel companions appreciated the healthier fruit alternatives though. All in all, a very interesting place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2008

We had the suite with a little private sitting room and TV downstairs with the huge bedroom and en suite up stairs with working fireplace. This was booked thinking it was just a bog-standard B&B, I was amazed. It's chinz heaven, very alice in wonderland. It's a gorgeous building nestled amongst swanky high-rises within 2 minutes walk of the glorious English Bay beach.

Breakfast is a formal affair with other guests in the very 'english-manor-house styled dining room, all guests at the one huge dining table. The food was top notch. The hosts were friendly and (as with most Candanians I encountered) enternally helpful.

This was the location for my reunion with my boyfriend after 3 months living in different countries so it will always remain special in my memory. However the big fireplace, the beautiful decor, the great location and the warmth of our hosts make this about the best place I've ever stayed in my life.

Oh yeah and Vancouver is pretty darn cool- in you're British it really worth checking out the British themed bar somewhere around Granville Street, it's hilarious :-)

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank squirrelmonkey
Reviewed October 28, 2008

If you read all the reviews for this place it will sum it up as a place you must stay when in Vancouver, they say it all . Absolutely delightful. First impressions on arrival was it looked really beautiful. It was raining and the owner came out with brolly to help us. This started a lovely overnight stay. The room was really quaint. The lounge very regal and smart. Port or Sherry were available. The breakfast was alsolutely the best and the house manager very friendly and helpful. Its locally sited for Stanley Park, lovely walks by the sea. The local main area and a reasonable walk into the city. I had tried to book this place on my arrival but was unsuccesful but perservered and got it on my way back. I would thoroughly recommed this place to stay when in Vancouver.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My husband and I came to Vancouver for the first time and we were really excited about staying at the bed and breakfast. We chose English Bay Inn because of the beautiful looking rooms and great location. Boban, the owner met me at the door and was very kind, funny and warm the entire time. We ended up staying in two of the rooms, suite #5 and suite #4 and they were both great. The fireplace in suite #5 was very relaxing and kept me asleep all night. Breakfast is fab and was a great start to the day. We ended up calling Boban back for a 3rd night and he was more than happy to meet us back at the b &b for another night of pure relaxation. Boban is an amazing entertainer and defiantly worth a chat with, we will be back again and can't wait to see Vancouver and Boban in the future.

Lyndsay & Kris