“Great Experience at the English Bay Inn!”
Review of English Bay Inn

English Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great Experience at the English Bay Inn!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the English Bay Inn March 2013 for 3 nights. Location is great - steps to Stanley Park and easy access to all of the sights. The inn had recently undergone renovations. We flew in quite late the evening of the first night, and Greg the manager of the inn went out of his way to make special arrangements in advance to allow us to 'check in' when we arrived after midnight.

The accommodations were lovely. We stayed in room '4' which was very clean, warm and cosy. There were fresh flowers in the room when we arrived as well as fresh towels and toiletries, which was a really nice touch. The bed was very comfortable (we like firmer!) and pillows were great (I'm a bit of a pillow snob). Showers were hot and water pressure was good!

Greg was absolutely amazing! He prepared the most delicious three course breakfasts each morning and went above and beyond to ensure that everything was done to our preferences. Greg convinced me to try the eggs benedict (which I haven't tried in years and thought I didn't like)....needless to say, they were amazing! Greg was very kind and and provided great advice with regards to things to do in see in Vancouver as well as great places to eat!

We couldn't have asked for a better stay and were very sad to leave to check into a chain hotel at the end of our stay. We would definitely recommend the English Bay Inn to anyone!

1 Thank efraser7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were greeted from Greg the B&B manager in a very welcoming and friendly manor when we first arrived at the Inn. Following which we were served light snacks, port and sherry.

With their perfect location, finding a restaurant was a breeze, as we were surrounded by a wide variety of restaurants.

Our night was very peaceful in the "Amazing Grand Bedroom" which was very clean and accommodating. A flat screen TV, robes, and toiletries made our stay even better.

Breakfast was UNBELIEVABLE!!! Fruits, Coffee, Juice, Tea, Cinnamon Bun & Eggs Benedict (to die for). Greg was a great host and his hospitality coupled with the newly renovated Inn, puts it at the very top of my list.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My fiance and I just stayed here over the weekend, and it is the best!! I normally don't write a very long review, but this place definitely deserves it! They have just finished renovating and it is everything that we could ask for: beautiful, clean, elegant, and very warm and cozy. The location is perfect. It's nested in a residential area in downtown Vancouver just 1 block away from the beach, restaurants, boutiques, and stores; so you're far enough away so that it's quiet, but close enough so you can walk anywhere.

I'm quite obsessed with bathrooms whenever I travel and I always look at multiple traveller photos to make sure they look like what they're supposed to. I was pleasantly surprised and excited when I walked into the bathroom and found it extremely clean, everything was brand new with fresh towels and some travller toilettries as well! We also found soft robes in the closet for us to use.

Greg is an amazing host!!! He was so warm and welcoming during our stay and made us feel very comfortable. He attended to everything we needed, even though he didn't have to. He is so funny and charming and kept us all laughing, talking and entertained by the fireplace until we had to leave for dinner. The next morning he served everyone breakfast in their gorgeous dining room. The table was set perfectly, he served us juice, coffee, fresh fruit, baked pastries, and smoked salmon eggs benedict. The quality of the food was superb, and I felt like I was dining at a private 5 star restaurant.

This was our best B&B experience and we will definitely come back again. I highly recommend this B&B, it is truly a hidden gem!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived at this charming five-room home and immediately felt at ease.
The manager, Greg, is cheerful, well traveled and thoroughly acquainted with the highest standards of hospitality. His blend of merry innkeeper and hospitality professional strikes just the right note for this intimate and warm home.
We found the two-floor suite immaculately clean and elegantly furnished -- I understand the entire BB has been entirely renovated.
The carafe of port wine, a bouquet of roses and irises, and chocolate set out before the fireplace put us in the mood for a cozy, romantic evening after dinner at the Fish House restaurant just a three-minute walk out the front door of the house.
A copious breakfast of fresh berries and melons, scones and eggs benedict was a sheer delight.
For it's hospitality, generosity and elegance, the English Bay Inn is an outstanding BB.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was looking to surprise my husband with a great B&B for an anniversary getaway, and after doing a ton of research I finally decided on EBI based on all the fantastic reviews...

First off, my initial impression was fantastic based on Greg's level of quick communication and accommodating my requests. Our Saturday arrived and we finally had the true pleasure of meeting Greg and checking into this beautiful Bed and Breakfast.

We were shown to our room (we chose the upper suite) and it was absolutely gorgeous! A whole sitting room on the lower level to ourselves and flat screen TV, and up the stairs to another sitting area, fireplace, big comfy bed, and beautiful bathroom with a big jacuzzi tub. Everything was so warm and welcoming, with soft lighting all throughout and quiet classical music playing in the dining/welcome area.

Honestly what really makes the entire experience so memorable is Greg. He was so attentive and helpful, you can tell he really loves what he does. He cooked an absolutely fantastic breakfast for us...a beautiful fresh fruit plate to start, fresh fluffy cheese scones and fresh baked cookies, and home made smoked salmon or turkey bacon eggs benedict. Accompanied with tea, coffee, and orange juice, and fabulous conversation at breakfast!

All in all our weekend getaway was so fun and romantic, we couldn't have asked for anything more...well other than an extra night or two! We cannot wait to have another excuse to head over to Vancouver and stay here again alone or even with some friends! Greg was what really made it over the top and now he has gained us as lifelong customers!

Room Tip: The upper suite is so private and roomy, was perfect!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First, future travelers should know that this B&B will be closed for remodeling (new carpet, new bathrooms, the works) into early 2013. We were the last guests of 2012. Be sure to check the B&B website or call them for details. Fortunately Greg, the manager, will be managing the remodel and isn't going anywhere. I mention this because...

This is one of the cleanest, best maintained and all around best managed B&Bs we've ever stayed in, and we travel a LOT. It is as immaculate as my OCD Polish grandmother's house. I challenge you to don your white gloves and just try to find a speck of dust. Greg confirmed with me prior to our trip (a comfort) and is completely put together (unlike a lot of other B&B owners, namely in Portland), cooked a far too generous and tasty breakfast for us every morning, called the cab company to pester them to be on time top pick us up, and was terrific yet unobtrusive friendly company.

In addition, the bed was very comfortable, many rooms have fireplaces, and it was cozy, worth mentioning because the almost constant early winter rain put a premium on coziness. The water pressure and temperature were terrific and the sherry quite tasty.

The West End is definitely the place to stay, location wise. It's near Stanley Park in an absolutely quiet neighborhood, but just a few blocks from Denman St., which has terrific food of countless ethnic varieties, and easy access to buses that take you everywhere. I slept like the dead for the first time in months, and that never happens for me in B&Bs or hotels.

Room Tip: If it's within your budget, ask for the two-floor suite that's just off of the dining room a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anysteph
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a charming little guest house in a great location, a block or so from the seafront. Nestled among more modern apartment blocks, the English Bay Inn looks like a little ginger bread house on the outside, and the interior takes you back to a bye-gone age. With fires burning in the hearths, the inn is warm and and cosy no matter what the weather.
Greg, the host, adds some va va voom with his infectious enthusiasm for almost everything and his passion for welcoming guests. Quite apart from his delicious breakfasts (warn him beforehand if you don't want it rich), he is full of very sweet gestures. We had mentioned it was my boyfriend's birthday, and came back in the evening to a birthday cake and card awaiting us in our room. Upon leaving, as I was gluttonously pilfering the little chocolates from a bowl in the living room, Greg noticed and almost emptied a full box from his store cupboard into my pockets.
For great conversation and a very warm welcome, you can't beat the English Bay Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple