Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center
$317
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$195
$448
$389
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Park Inn & Suites by Radisson(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$237
$538
$463
Agoda.com
1,335 results
All reviewsrevolving restaurantrobson streetstanley parktop flooralong robsonwhole foodssmall balconydowntown vancouvertwo double bedswest endan older hotelbit datedcoal harbourlocation is excellentlots of restaurantscanada placegranville island
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Empire Landmark has extremely rude staff, and misleading advertisements. Please look up other reviews if you’re considering staying here! This was not a unique experience.

Some key points:
- Lied about hotel policy prior to reservation
- Refused to give us our room key after charging our card
- Extremely rude management
- Billed us for the wrong amounts, and for additional days

My husband and I were planning a trip to Vancouver, and wanted to stay relatively close to Stanley Park. We have a small dog (a quiet, well behaved housebroken corgi), and we understand that hotel choices with a pet are limited. Because of this, we’re extremely diligent when booking hotels. We called the Empire Landmark a month in advance, to confirm that they were pet friendly, since we had seen them listed on a website of pet-friendly hotels in Vancouver. We called the number listed on the Empire Landmark site. We were told over the phone that it would be no problem, so we asked what the pet fee would be. We were told that there was no fee. Perfect!

We arrive Saturday night after driving from the US. At the front desk we were told by Louie Lee (who claimed to be the manager) that pets were not allowed. We explained that we had called in advance, and asked if they could make any kind of exception. Mr. Lee was incredibly rude, and refused to let us check in, even though he had already taken our credit card and charged us for the room. He asked for the name of the man who we had spoken to on the phone, but it was a month ago and we couldn’t recall. My husband remembered that he had an Indian accent and mentioned that. Mr. Lee said (DIRECT quote!) “No. We don’t hire people like that here.” We spent an hour trying to discuss the situation with him, trying to find a fair solution, especially since our room was non-cancellable (and it was past the 48 hour window anyways).
;
We decided to leave our dog in the car while we tried to figure out the hotel situation, and explained this to Mr. Lee. We made it very clear that the dog would not come up to the room. He wouldn’t agree, and refused to give us a room key. He had accepted our credit card, and charged us for the room, but wouldn’t give us a key! My husband explained that this was ridiculous, all the while Mr. Lee was being extremely rude and condescending. Eventually he gave in, and called security over to escort my husband to the car to make sure he put the dog away. As security escorted my husband, I sat in the lobby and waited. I overheard Mr. Lee talking to another security guard, telling him that he needed to watch us to make sure we didn’t bring the dog into the room, and to keep checking the car, and to periodically stop by our room. We were basically under house arrest, when all we wanted to do was settle down and try to find a different hotel. Security ended up walking us both up to the room and checking to make sure we didn’t “smuggle” the dog with us. It was incredibly invasive.

The room itself was extremely disappointing. They obviously spend a lot of money up keeping the lobby, while leaving the rooms outdated. The carpets were stained and the sink was dirty. The room was tiny and smelled like it hadn’t been cleaned. We ended up booking a different hotel and left the Empire Landmark, which was probably for the best.

At the end of our trip, we received a credit card bill for 3 nights, for 3 different amounts. We had reserved 2 nights, and had only stayed in the room for about half an hour to find a different hotel. We had reserved the hotel in advance, at a locked in rate, so there was no reason for the excess charges. We called to ask them to clarify, and again had to deal with very rude, unhelpful staff. They never resolved the billing issue.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
13  Thank uw_gem
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel is located on Robson Street (very good) and just a few blocks from the waterfront which lowers the price (also good) and still gives a decent view. However, it is an older facility and it shows in many of the amenities (plumbing, heating/ventilation systems, etc. Last year I received breakfast vouchers as part of my reservation and that made for very good value. This year they wanted $16 for breakfast which was ludicrous. And their exchange rate for US funds was scandalous - but there are plenty of places along Robson to eat and exchange funds, so no big deal. I found their customer service to be just fine - and all in all, the value satisfactory. I had a balcony on the 32nd floor and enjoyed my stay. Keep expectations in check and get outside - lots to do, see and eat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank AKTraveler2012
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Beds are very uncomfortable. TVs don't work. Hidden charges and very rude staff. Heating system is outdated and unhealthy. Please don't stay here. Pay the extra 10 dollars and upgrade!!!
My son had a cough after sleeping here from the heating system.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Kate L
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Firstly the staff were very nice and the view was pretty awesome. But the room itself was very dated and worn. The air conditioner/heater work really well but was super loud. There was something wrong with the water coming out of the bathroom tap (it was coming out the colour of milk). We rang reception that night and they told us to run the water through for 10mins which we did but it didn't do anything. We were only there for two nights so didn't bother with trying to get someone to fix it. The gym is limited. The buffet breakfast is expensive for what it is and the food is nothing special but the view is worth going up for. It was clean enough but most of the furniture and bathroom was worn and chipping. In my opinion you don't quite get what you pay for but it's a warm place with a comfortable enough bed.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mim A
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I payed for a cheap room, and got a cheap and dirty room.

I live out side of the city and was having a late dinner, and needed to be there early so I opted to avoid the traffic in the am. I made a reservation through a booking agent -- this always seems to complicate things.

After waiting for 15 minutes for them to look up my reservation as I was not in the system? Then having to go to the back room to sort it out. They finally found it and I got into my room

Wow- a nasty food stain ( I'm hoping ) on the chair. Tow nail clippings on the carpet next to the bed side table. Mini fridge ( would have been a nice touch ) however very unclean, crumbs inside etc, and a spill all down the outside of it- clearly housekeeping did a quick in and out of this room.

.... You get what you pay for.... unfortunate but true.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo