“An old and tired hotel”

Ranked #67 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
London, Canada
“An old and tired hotel”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed here on two occasions, having booked the rooms at the same time through a travel agency. The first night the room was so small that we had to stack our suitcases on top of each other and it was still difficult to make one's way from the bed to the bathroom. The second night we were given a much larger room, however we could not use the air conditioner, because when we turned it on it rattled the piping system so bad we were afraid that it might fall out of the ceiling. When checking in, be sure to leave your luggage with the bellboy before parking your car. Otherwise you will have to carry it up the ramp and a short flight of stairs before you reach the elevator that will take you to the lobby. On the plus side, the hotel is located close to Coal Harbour and numerous restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
dundee scotland
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Empire landmark isn't the fanciest hotel in the west end of vancouver but it is comfortable, near the waterfront / harbour and has plenty of places to eat around about it. (also has a revolving resturant on site). The room is a good size, the bed is comfy and the room and bathroom are clean. Considering how expensive hotels in the robson street area can be its a good price. Its a wee walk to downtown (took me about 20 minutes but i walk slow) with plenty of shopping to be done along robson street and the balcony views are good. My room was on the 25th floor and the view (especially at night) was great. (Balcony itself a bit dingy but since your sitting on a chair and not on the floor of it don't think its a big problem) I enjoyed my stay at the hotel very much and while some things do need a little undating it is still a very good hotel for the price, i happy with my room, the balcony and the staff service in the hotel.

Room Tip: Best to try to get a corner room as the balcony space you get is bigger, some rooms having small bal...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank alinissa
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the price and the location. Honestly, a 4 night stay on Robson street can easily cost a small fortune in which I would prefer to spend shopping or doing activities. This hotel with the combination of a BCAA (AAA) card is a budget lover's dream! (....for the location that is)

This hotel is a little bit of a walk to the more 'desirable' part of the Robson and about a 10 minute walk from the closest sky train, however there is a bus stop directly outside the hotel that does take you to the sky train and nearby destinations.

The Empire Landmark is a tidy hotel, it is not a place to stay if you wish to stay in a luxurious hotel.. it is simple, has basic necessities and is fairly clean. It is a little bit 'cozy' in the rooms with its late 90's decor and tiny little balcony that has a breath taking view (though I strongly recommend wearing shoes here, rather grungy!).

I found the beds were not exactly the most comfortable things I have ever slept on. Also, the bathrooms were ...interesting, they weren't huge... not too small either. However, it lacked something I find rather important (especially in a 'cozy' space) and that is a FAN! Yikes! Instead of a fan it has a heat lamp contraption; perhaps I am not well 'cultured' but call me old fashion, I really appreciate a fan!

We found that the walls were quite sound proof, which was nice. However, the doors on the other hand were not.. you could clearly hear everything going on in the rooms as you walked past (such as our neighbours, rocking out to Hanson in their room 'mmm-BOP' haha).

The TV was nice, new, and large! Though I'm not sure why but I found it hard to use the remote control... you had to angle it juust the right way to change the channel.

Parking! It is pretty inexpensive to park your car ($15/night). I do not recommend doing this if you have a large vehicle. The corners of the parking garage are quite tight. Also, it is kind of dingy in here.. I would not feel comfortable venturing down here by myself...especially at night, though it is monitored by security it still gives me the creeps!

Staff were extremely helpful! The service we received was fantastic from the front desk staff and they were very knowledgable of the area. Generally all staff throughout the hotel was very friendly and kind.

THE RESTAURANT! Goodness, the gimmick of the rotating restaurant with a great view is the only reason to eat here! Our service was great but yet the price of our dinner in correlation to the taste of our meals just didn't mesh.. It was hard to justify paying so much for what we got, the portions were good--just over priced as my boyfriend and I both ordered simple pasta dishes. Perhaps the features or the breakfast is more worthwhile but I know we were not going to venture back to try.

Basically, if you are willing to walk a few minutes to prime destinations and you just want a basic, tidy room for a decent price than this is the hotel for you. If you are searching for luxury and/or a 'wow' factor than perhaps you better keep looking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We got into Vancouver really early in the morning . We went to the Hotel to drop off our luggage and request an early check in . They were so good to us and managed to get us into our room by 10 . I was so grateful as I was wiped . We were here 3 nights and one day I just wanted to veg and told the cleaning lady we were good and didn't need anything. She really wanted to get in and do her thing : ) . We went out for a short while around 2 and came back to a refreshed room ! I was very pleasantly surprised . This is what I call great service . Great big comfortable bed . Very reasonably priced . I had read some of the other reviews and was a little concerned all for naught . When I go to a hotel I'm looking for friendly , efficient service, affordable rates , clean room and comfortable bed . I got all these here !

Room Tip: We booked ahead and I mentioned we'd be there for our 30th wedding anniversary . They gave us a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tazzmanazz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at Empire Landmark for two nights after returning from our Alaskan Cruise.

I would not recommend staying here. We stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel on our first night before our cruise and I would recommend staying there. They are only a few blocks apart, but miles apart in cleanliness.

We found the Empire to be in a great location and the restaurant on the top floor is incredible.
The room was plain and boring. The bed was uncomfortable and the sheets were very low quality and so scratchy! The pillows (only 2 for the queen bed) were lumpy. We did find a backup pillow in the closet (??). The bathroom seemed old and not the cleanest. There was an old used washcloth on the shower rod when we checked in....

Overall, definitely visit the restaurant on the top floor for the views, but stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 26th floor. It had good views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in April. First, the pluses... It is on Robson street which is a great shopping area with tons of shops and restaurants. The revolving restaurant on the top floor offers the most breathtaking views of Vancouver. It was awesome! The rooms were clean with comfortable beds, a balcony, and updated amenities.

The minuses were the services offered at the hotel. There was no free wifi, not even in the lobby. If you happened to forget a toothbrush or razor, the front desk did not have these. They directed you to London Drugs a few blocks away, and that pharmacy is very expensive. The staff were begrudgingly helpful. They answered all of my questions, but had a bit of an attitude about it.

I think that this hotel would be great if you are in Vancouver for sightseeing and are a no-frills traveler, but if you are there for business, you should look somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank unlsweetie
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2012

As others have noted, good views. Overall the hotel feels a bit tired. The downstairs coffee bar looked OK but was closed (on a Thursday night in May). Four elevators provided better-than-average service.
Parking garage was drab and a little intimidating at first, but in the end proved satisfactory.

Room was reasonably spacious, bed seemed fairly new and was comfortable. Bathroom looked exactly like what I had in my apartment while I was at university in the sixties, but it was clean and functional.

Location is hard to rate. It's not far from anything good, but it also isn't close to anything good. Minimum 5-block walk in any direction before things get interesting - which they do in pretty much any direction.

We don't do hotel breakfasts, so we walked downhill two blocks to WE Coffee, which served us good coffee and pastries. The menu also has waffles, but we saw no evidence that they were trying to sell them at 8 a.m. On a previous visit to another nearby hotel, we had a good basic egg-based breakfast at "X The Spot", Robson & Denman.

Until they renovate some more, this is a 2.5-star hotel. If you can get a good rate, maybe, but otherwise I'd put some effort into looking at other downtown hotels to see what you can get there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business