“A wonderful place for a walk, candy for the eyes everywhere you look.”

VanDusen Botanical Garden
Private Tour: Gardens of Vancouver
Ranked #8 of 348 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This beautiful garden has 22 hectares of plants and trees.
Maui, Hawaii
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“A wonderful place for a walk, candy for the eyes everywhere you look.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I admit to being a gardener so gardens are the places I tend to visit the most. What I really liked about this garden were the educational shelves with plants, their names, and locations in the garden along the path to the entrance. It was great to be able to identify what we were seeing once we were in the garden. The day we were there, it was also pointed out the Giant Himalayan Lilies were blooming and where we could find them - apparently they take a long time to bloom, so we were fortunate to see these easily 8-10 foot or taller stalks of lilies - too tall for me to get in one picture unless I stood a far distance away. Not all the paths are paved, so decent walking shoes would be recommended. There are lots of paths to choose from or you could just find the great lawn and just sit down with a blanket and a book. There is even a maze good for grown-ups and kids alike - I admit we asked some kids to help us find our way out. Most of the plants and trees have "name tags" which was very helpful in many instances. There are some very interesting sculptures and pieces of art work placed around the park. Many of the sculptures were conversation starting and/or thought provoking especially unexpected ghostly ones. I loved seeing yellow peonies and a False Acacia tree for the first time! There is a nice gift shop and Truffles Café at the front of the park. If you like ginger try the ginger lemonade, it was very refreshing. If I lived in Vancouver I would have a yearly membership to this garden, there is so much to see, and I can imagine it is very different with the changing seasons.

1 Thank Canrej

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“secluded wonder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

no crowds mid week, take your time and enjoy. don't get lost in the maze and bring a blanket for a quiet snooze

66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Luscious vegetation, exquisite gardens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This botanical garden is a jewel in Vancouver. Our visit took place during a glorious spring morning, so everything looked especially bright. The air was filled with different aromas from the vegetation and flowers. It is very well kept, and very esthetically planned.
We took a walk of about 1hour and a half to see the highlights of the garden and take amazing photos.
I thought that people that live nearby and can visit often are very lucky.

1 Thank Lavivita
Dundee, Scotland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I liked all the different layouts of the gardens, wandering around was so peaceful and the plants were lovely.

Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Looking to spend time outdoors, visit the gardens. Summer is of course a nice time to walk around however if in Vancouver during Christmas, a trip to the garden in the evening is a must. Fantastic light display