“4-night stay”

Ranked #45 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Alton, Hampshire, England
“4-night stay”
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Our family of 4 booked 2 rooms for 4 nights during our trip across western Canada. I was concerned initially because on arrival it is obvious there is refurbishment going on in the reception and lobby area, but in practice we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As requested the hotel gave us two adjoining rooms on the 20th floor.

Positive points were that the rooms were large, bright and comfortable. We had a suite with big bedroom and adjoining lounge and kitchen. The views across this residential area towards English Bay and the mountains were outstanding. There were minor niggleswith the room - no safe for valuables, so had to use a safety deposit at reception, and fairly limited cutlery and cooking utensils varying between rooms - but otherwise great. Air conditioning worked well but despite the heat in Vancouver - over 30 degrees - it was sufficient to open the windows and get the breeze.

Points to watch out for are that only two lifts were working some of the time so it can get very busy - as when a youth orchestra was arriving during our stay - and the balcony railings on the 20th floor are much lower than would be allowed in the UK, low waist height.

Restaurant gave reasonable value but we only used for breakfast and tended to eat out. In general the staff were very helpful to us with things like booking taxis, maps and directions etc.

Would definitely stay again. Location is a strong point on Burrard St, within walking distance of downtown (tourist info, shops, galleries) and in the other direction English Bay, Granville Island. Ask for a room on a higher floor; lower down you won't get the views and might get annoyed with ambulance sirens from the hospital opposite.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Quickie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Northumberland, UK
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I travelled with my daughter, her husband and their daughter and stayed here for 5 nights in late April 2006. We were very impressed with the size of our rooms and the facilities in the rooms, including full kitchens. There was plenty of space even with a cot. The pool was good - especially the changing area and showers - the best we saw in Canada. There are plenty of places to shop and eat nearby so we did not use the kitchen much but, with a toddler, it was nice to know it was there if needed.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank lucem
Reviewed May 22, 2006

We we not impressed with this hotel. Perhaps the renovated rooms are nice, but ours was dirty and in poor condition. The front lobby was under renovation and smelled like paint, and we had to walk under scafolding to get to the elevator. The carpet in our room was stained, and we didn't want to sit on the furniture without long-sleeved shirts and long pants. The coffee table was sticky. Our kitchen contained no cutlery, pots, or dishes, rendering it useless. Also, we were "upgraded" from the two queen beds we had booked to a "one-bedroom suite" with two twin beds that looked like soap dishes. However, maintenance did come right away to fix our clogged sink. We should have asked them to fix the deadbold while they were there...

The location is great, the rooms were enormous and for the price we weren't expecting a whole lot, but we wouldn't stay here again. We spent much of our time looking longingly across the street at the Sheraton Wall Centre. If you want to check your email at the IGA down the street (since our room had no internet access), be aware! The deli staff are extremely unfriendly and rude, but the password is 2222 and you can print for free.

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2006

We decided that we wanted to take the family - 2 teenaged boys - to Vancouver for some sightseeing and shopping. No big deal...just a few days to have some fun. We were looking for a budget place that would be roomy, clean and close to downtown. The Century Plaza was fine.

After having read the good and poor reviews, we took the time to contact the hotel and reiterate our requests. Of course, they couldn't guarantee the non-smoking, higher level, 2 queen-sized beds, but they said that it was noted and that they'd try. We weren't able to get 2 queens, but the doubles were very comfortable. 23rd floor and no cigarette smoke smell.

The staff were all very helpful and efficient. The room really was a 1 bedroom apartment - very spacious. The furniture and appliances are older, but everything works. Downtown core, so we were close to Robson Street shopping, the IMAX, Stanley Park and Gastown. The pool was alright and the sauna was very nice.

On the down side. Even on the 23rd floor, you can hear quite a bit of street noise, if your stay involves a Friday/Saturday night. Definitely, bring earplugs. Found it to be pretty quiet, however, during the week.

Don't pick this place for romance. Save up a little longer! But, for just treating the family to an outing in the big city, it's ideal.

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank letterdude
Reviewed May 9, 2006

The hotel was great from the moment we checked in. Despite arriving at 2 am, we had a bellhop grabbing our bags out of the car and taking us to our suite. The 1 bedroom suite was just like a 1 BR apartment, with a balcony and a great view of the sunset from the 26th floor.

We had a problem with the internet connection in the room we were staying in, and on the second day, they upgraded us to the executive suite on the 28th floor, which was significantly larger and had an even better view of the sunset into Burrard inlet and the mountains to the North and West.

Both rooms were very comfortable, very clean, lots of windows, great service. We mentioned to some of the staff that we were surprised that the rooms were so nice, since some of the reviews here suggested they were stuffy and old. We were told they recently renovated all of the rooms. While we were there they were performing extensive renovations on the lobby and second floor. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2006

Worst experience I have EVER have with a hotel, and that is saying a lot!
I booked this hotel through expedia and looked at pictures and descriptions and when we walked in, we were so (so so very) disappointed! It was my 3 year anniversary with my spouse. We live just outside Vancouver, and we had saved up money just to spend the weekend away together for something special.
First of all, there was major construction going on and there was a really strong smell of paint and drywall and dust. Within 5 minutes of waiting to check in, I already had a headache and was beginning to get an itchy throat and eyes (I have allergies, but they aren't usually very sensitive).
We got our room keys and went up to the room. The whole journey to our room smelled terribly of the constuction, and then cigarette smoke.
Our room was no better. The smoke smell was disgusting, and there were cigarette burns in the carpets and furniture. I had requested a non smoking because of health problems where smoke gives me a big problem, and this was clearly NOT a non-smoking room.
The room was in pretty poor condition, uncomfortable furniture.. a really noisy, irritating fan of some kind.
To make matters worse, the smells got a whole lot worse because it became very obvious that at least one of the adjoining rooms were smoking marijuana.
By now, I felt completely sick and knew I had to leave. We called expedia and they said that they would refund us for one night, but not the other. In any case, I couldn't stay so I thought we would have to take a loss on the money... which I was pretty upset about because I thought we would just have to turn around and go home, considering we couldn't pay for another hotel stay.
When we went down to the front desk (having only been in the room for about half an hour), the woman waiting for us there seemed like she was already ready to fight with us. I told her we weren't upset with her personally, but we were disappointed by expedia. We found out, though, that expedia was willing to refund us ALL our money if the hotel would refund them, and this woman had refused.
She was rude, in a word. She refused to try and help us in any way, and was quite hostile towards us for no apparent reason. She was unphased by the fact that I was feeling ill (which was obvious) and that we could not stay there for health reasons. She also acknowledged that she was aware of the drug use going on in the hotel, but did nothing to rectify it. She also refused to provide us with a receipt to show that we did not stay at the hotel for the night. It was only when my spouse when back into the hotel to return a parking pass (for which we were also not refunded) that he saw she had written, seemingly for her own records, "Guest did not stay" that my spouse demanded a copy of.
I cannot express how upset I was when we left the hotel. I feel that the manager (who I believe was only "front desk management") could have cooperated with us and expedia and everyone would have been satisfied, but she would not. I do not feel that anyone should be forced to stay in any situation that will affect their health, or subject them to illegal drug use if they object to it.
When we left here, a friend took us to the Coast Plaza Hotel and PLEASE, PLEASE read my review of that hotel if you are going to be staying in Vancouver! They went so far out of their way to make us feel better after our terrible experience, that I am recommending all my friends and family stay there whenever possible!
But whatever you do, avoid this hotel. Even if it looks alright, avoid it on the principle that you cannot treat people this way!

• Stayed April 2006
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
To guests that may be reading this review for the first time. Service at our hotel is paramount and we recognize that to maintain a successful operation, first and foremost, our guests come first.

We've since hired an entirely new front office team as well as having our new management perform regular performance reviews of our employees. We've found this approach to be successful and it has dramatically increased our levels of guest satisfaction.

Since the time of this review, all of our guests rooms and suites have been re-painted and have had their mattresses and carpets replaced, as well as most furniture. All of our One bedroom and executive suites have been completely re furbished and our 70 One Bedroom Suites now boast 42" flat screen televisions.

All of our common areas including our cafe, pool and restaurant have all been remodeled, and we are now proud to be a 100% non smoking property.
Tuscaloosa, AL
Reviewed April 13, 2006

I spent five nights at the Century Plaza with a travel companion for a conference. My stay was fabulous. I was worried after hearing that the lobby was undergoing construction, but I barely even noticed the work being done--it was hidden behind full partitions. The lobby staff were friendly and courteous, they recommended excellent restaurants--three total in fact. So the staff know the area and can direct you based on your needs. While I was talking with the staff I really felt their undivided attention.
Our room was almost like an apartment--the "virtual 360 tour" pictures of the rooms don't do the hotel justice. We walked into a hallway, the bath was on the right, the bedroom (2 doubles) was straight ahead. A turn to the left revealed the spacious living room area, and the kitchen. Our room had a balconey facing west, overlooking the city and one of the bays or inlets. I saw a beautiful sunset against the mountains every night.
The bathroom was a tad small, one had to close the door in order to use the sink, but it was of small consequence. The hospital is right next door, but I only heard sirens twice while I was there, so it was no big deal. The only other negative was that I had to call multiple times to have an iron and ironing board delivered.
I did not visit the restaurant, the spa, or the attached comedy club, but we did order room service one night. The food was delivered promptly, and it was piping hot.
The location of the Century Plaza can't be beat--it is in the heart of downtown. There is a full grocery store with organic food and produce two or three blocks from the hotel. This store was very handy since we had a kitchen with utensils in our room. Robson street is just another block or two past the store, and there is a bus stop close by too.
The room was excellent, the staff were helpful, and the location was great. Stay here if you can! I paid about 80 dollars American a night, thanks to hotels.com. The Century Plaza far exceeded my expectations, given the price. Overall, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business