“Faded Glory but comfortable- great location”

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with a fabulous location where you are in the heart of downtown but feel safe and easy to walk to everything, this is your hotel. The name implies a grandiose experience but it wasn't all that!. In its heyday it must have been something but it needs a bit of a makeover. Still I appreciated the original tiles in the lobby (though cracked and worn) the lobby is quite chic without and the coffee bar has a nice atmosphere. The view was great- one side looks straight down Burrard and the other side a view of the water. Bed was large and comfortable, staff courteous, green initiative- refuse housekeeping- get a $5 chit for the restaurant. Only complaint I had was the pool area was scummy and didn't feel clean. The dressing rooms are very nice with chic spa feel- custom products like lotions and shower gels with yummy scents installed in the counter for convenience. It was a great base to explore all the downtown activities and shops.

Room Tip: Hospital located next door, keep in mind ambulance noise when booking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,913)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I used to live in Vancouver and this hotel did not have the best reputation. So, I was rather hesitant to book here but did so as it was a last minute need for one night and because of the very good rate offered on the hotel website. I was very pleased with the hotel upon entering the lobby but was even more pleased with the quality and size of the room. The bed was comfortable, the decor was simple yet pleasant. Very clean. I much appreciated the free internet in the room. Windows open for fresh air. The staff were exceptionally friendly! There was always at least one staff person that greeted me with a smile and hello whenever I passed through the lobby. The reception staff I dealt with were highly congenial and professional. Some of the best I have ever encountered in all my travels.

The hotel location is very good. I walked to the Skytrain station at Georgia and Granville with luggage very quickly and no problems with the rolly luggage. There are Starbucks nearby, grocery store, churches and Robson Street is very near too. One can even walk down Thurlow Street to the beach for a boat to Granville Island or a stroll on the seawall.

Two small issues where that I found the tub faucet handles for the shower rather difficult to adjust to make the shower flow properly. It had to be turned to just the right place to stop the water flowing from the tub faucet and all from the shower head. Also, I had placed the Do Not Disturb sign on. my door and yet the housekeeping person knocked on my door. It was well before checkout time. These were not big issues and did not impact my overall impression and experience of the hotel. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bette M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Century Plaza is one of our "go to" Vancouver hotels. On this occasion we were in town for a wedding at St Andrews church which is right next door. Get a room on one of the higher floors (there are 30) and enjoy the awesome views. The windows open, always a bonus. The toiletries are nice ones and you get lots of towels. Beds are comfy with fluffy duvets and lots of nice pillows. You get actual glasses and mugs and little things of liquid coffee cream not nasty powder stuff. We have stayed in the studio, 1 bed and the executive king suites. They are all good, if you are staying for a special occasion treat yourself to the executive king and enjoy the huge spa bath and balcony. Expedia had a great deal for discounted room rates.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Too bad we could only stay one night in this beautiful hotel right in downtown Vancouver. Right when you walk in, the lobby was very impressive! The rooms were huge with a small kitchenette and a little living area. Bedding was of great quality and the rates were very affordable. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mcorar
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel has a great location, a nice restaurant and great prices. There is no fitness centre onsite. The rooms are large and beds are comfortable. The furnishings are definitely dated and the building is quite old but for the price, it's a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Heli-yes
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved that we had a kitchen to cook some of our meals. There was a grocery store a block away. The customer service was excellent and they went beyond our expectations. They help us with our boarding passes on our return flight. I liked that they gave you a gift if you did not have the room cleaned every day. We had stayed at more expensive hotels on our prior trips and were really pleased that we received more at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Stay on side away from hospital.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

There are several things that make the Century Plaza stand out as a place to stay at a moderate price. First, they offer special medical rates. Second, the rooms are spacious and clean and many of them have a full kitchen. Third, the coffee shop downstairs is one of the best in the city and last but not least, the staff are wonderful.
This was the second time that I have chosen to stay at the Century Plaza after surgery at St Paul's Hospital next door. There were three of us staying so they gave us a large suite with kitchen and bedroom. The doorman kindly offered to return the wheelchair to the hospital when my friends wheeled me from the hospital across the street to the hotel. Shortly after we checked in one of the staff arrived at the door with a big smile and with three down pillows. I had requested down pillows earlier and was told they didn't have any. I said that was no problem, I'd bring my own. They had purchased three new down pillows especially for us. That's real service!
Thank you again for a good post-operative stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business