“Wonderful shelter in a time of need”

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Victoria, Canada
“Wonderful shelter in a time of need”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I come to St. Paul's Hospital for treatment every three months and Century Plaza feels like my second home. The location is wonderful and with the restaurant and cafe on the premises you can just book in and relax.
I look forward to breakfast in Beyond - the beautiful table ware and friendly staff make it such a pleasure to be there.

Room Tip: I like to be on the sixth floor facing Comox St.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The location was great but the heat was stuck on and the elevators were incredibly slow and small for a 30 floor hotel. I wouldn't pay full price to stay here, but was okay with paying a discounted price.

• Stayed April 2011
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Hotel well placed close to all shops including grocery shop! Room spacious and very well equipped, spotlessly clean. The staff really made this hotel special- i was a solo traveller new to everything- the assistance was knowledgeable, thorough and accurate- i had to travel to Vancouver Island early in the morning utilising public transport- amazing directions- did it easily. Felt welcoming and friendly. Firw alarm one evening was well run and calmly managed, cant rate this place high enough- they made what could have been a stressful time into one that i was actually quite sad to leave. Thank you one and all

Room Tip: Suite with balcony
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank P0wens
Cplaza1015, Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the service and your room. We're always glad to be your home away from home while traveling to Vancouver!

Rochester, Washington
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My family traveled up from Washington State for the Cheer Competition at the Convention Center. We received a block rate from the hotel from April 1st- 3rd. t $109 we thought we were getting a great rate, but after checking in (and many families only found out upon checking out) this did not include the $17 a day parking OR the tax on either of these items. What I thought was going to be a $250 bill for the room in fact cost almost $300. Other people who called ahead of time to be sure they had enough money for everything were never informed of the need for paying for parking or how much the tax is and quite a few were scraping by at the end of the trip. Keep in mind this is a group of at least 40-50 families that are booked here.

I also requested a room next to a friend, she did the same, we were put a floor above her. After talking to other people we found out that they "lost" all the requests made reservations were made monthes ago, and I had been told it was still in there Tuesday when I called to confirm my reservation.

The elevators were extremely slow. There was a 30 minute wait at times for the 4 elevators, and only 2 seemed to be running at any time. The gentleman at the door was nice enough to open the smallest last one when lines got too long but it was never working long and there was constantly a line in the lobby.

No free internet in your rooms, that was a $9 surcharge (as well as a .65 charge for any local call? local calls are charged?). I finally was told by someone else that you could get free wifi if you were in the lobby, and that was after asking why so many people were down there with laptops taking ALL the seats available down there.

The pool is on the lower level (LL) there is a way there from the stairs but more people seemed to use the elevators making the wait even longer. Once it picked up people from the pool, it would often open on the lobby and be too packed for anyone to get on. Not that you would want to be crammed into an elevator with wet kids and adults anyway.

The rooms are big, I had double beds and a full kitchenette. Everything is outdated however. The room was sweltering when we arrived, and we had to turn on the air conditioning. You could not set it belove 20C (70F) or it would freeze. When I opened the filter on top of the unit it was clogged with dust! There is no fitted sheet on the beds, just a regular one tucked in, and they have tears in them. The carpets look dirty but not sure if its the color or what. The shower BLASTS you and is set way too high, you cant make it lower. I am 5'4" and it hurt me, my 4 year old was disappointed she could not take a shower, it pushed her down. The shower curtain does nothing to contain the torrent of water either, the floor gets wet no matter what you try.

My real only positive experience was the ONE greeter(?) when you came in the hotel. I saw him a few times through my stay and he was always polite and tried to help me out with anything I asked. There was another I saw constantly around but he seemed to be playing on his cell phone most of the time. The only maps to be found in the hotel to where anything is, is on every floor there is a fire escape route.

Overall, I would never stay here again. I did not try out the spa (I did not like that the one time I saw someone in there you can see them walking around in the bathrobe and slippers from outside the hotel) or did I venture to the steam room (I never found it). With our Cheer Team travelling much of the season, we have stayed in a few hotels and this being the first one out of the country for me, I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, call the hotel directly.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Truckie79
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you did end up enjoying the size of the room and the actual service you received. You are right, the hotel was very busy this weekend due to the cheer conference that was in town. We had a higher than usual amount of families and guests which increased the elevator traffic quite substantially and to add to that, one of our 4 elevators suddenly went down which didn’t help the situation. The amount of heat in our rooms seems to be a concern of many of our recent guests. Our guest room heat is provided by hot water heaters, and I agree, some of the rooms were very hot due to the great weather that Vancouver has so early received this year (we get allot of natural light due to our great location). To solve this issue, we have lowered the water pressure which has reduced the heat dramatically. Guests will still have the option of heating or air-conditioning their room, however. We hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant, and would love to discuss this further with you, given the opportunity.

Woss, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I suppose with the title of my review, you would guess it to be completely negative. While that is not the case, I will say, over all, my experience here was slightly disappointing.

I will, however,start with the positives.

1) The Hotel is close to down town, and so location is fabulous.

2) There was parking, and internet.

3) Staff was friendly.

4) We were able to check in early, having arrived an hour and a half before the normal check-in time of 3pm. That was wonderful!

5) The room was clean, and large and the beds were comfortable.

6) For the four of us, booking through Tavelocity.com, got the room for a failrly decent price.

On to the more negative side.

1) Getting from the parking to the actual lobby was confusing and difficult with all our luggage. Either up (or down, I am not sure, as I said, getting around in there was very confusing) the stairs, or out side (walking down the three levels), along the side walk, and into the Hotel through a side door, or further around to the front entrance.

2) The elevators. Slow, small...and slow, slow, slow. I mean 20 minutes wait at times. I almost wanted to attempt climbing the 11 floors of stairs on a number of occasions. When an elevator DID arrive, it was often over crowded, and not able to hold myself and three kids.

3) Hot water. The morning check out of 11 seemed early, and because of this, we didn't all have time to shower. Even attempting to wash my face, I had no hot water in the sink, even though I turned on no cold water. That being said, my son and his friend were both able to shower around that same time, but I was not able to get any in the bathroom sink at ALL.

4) Though we were able to GET internet in our room, I was disappointed to find a charge for it. I have stayed at many hotels, of higher and lower quality than this one, and have never had to pay for internet before if it was available, in-room. If this is normal procedure, I am not aware of it.

5) We were quite excited to find a pool and sauna were at the Hotel, but it was in the basement,with the elevators not working properly, this was inconvenient, and the sauna had a horrible horrible smell that only increased as it got hotter. Very unpleasant. Also, seeing a room key is needed for access to the pool, I was disappointed to find the pool closed after 10pm. I would have enjoyed swimming after coming back in, but not being so limited on time.

6) We were booked as one adult with three kids. (under 18) It was myself and three boys 17,16, and 16. We had two twin beds and one pull out couch. There was no extra bedding provided for our "third" child, and when I called housekeeping, to ask for an extra blanket, the one we were given was an old, scratchy blanket. I was pleased we were able to get one, in a timely manner, at that late hour (we had just gotten back to our room after a concert, and it was approx. 10:30 pm), but I was disappointed in its' quality.

7) Though the room rate was quite reasonable, I might consider paying a bit more for better quality or ammenities next time.

Over all, though slightly disappointed, I would consider staying there again, mostly due to location and cost. If I was able to shop around on price, I would do so before my next stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank KimH67
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We booked this hotel through Expedia for a decent rate and it was also recommended by a friend. It was a stop over stay before we headed off to Ucluelet & Tofino. The fact that we did not pay full price and that we were just beginning a much needed vacation, are the only reasons we were ultimately not as upset as we could have been.
Here are the reasons we will never recommend this hotel to our family and friends. Not even our acquintances, actually.

1. Poor initial first impression/Lack of welcome: Since we were planning on a week long vacation in a condo, we had more than the usual amount of baggage for a one night stay. While my friend and I organized our belongings (she was smart and made reservations at the Delta Suites!), my husband went inside to find a bellman to assist us. I was surprised that he came back with just a bell cart as there were clearly two bellman leaning on the pillars in the lobby, watching us unload our items. Both my husband and I have spent over 15 years in the hospitality industry (particularly working for 4 - 5 star hotels/resorts companies), so we can be quite comfortable and self-sufficient in a hotel setting that it wouldn't be odd for us to offer the staff assistance with our luggage. No matter where we've stayed, the bellman have never let us take a bellcart when they were standing idle. It felt odd to be pushing our own bellcart and only because the 2 bellman kept looking over and smiling. Perhaps their hourly wage is high enough that tips/grats are no longer a motivation?!!

Even the Front Desk staff didn't offer us any assistance with the cart although it was obviously ours as there were no other check ins while we were checking in. The woman who checked us in simply went through the motions, like she was reading off of a script. I have done her job before and it is not hard at all to have a warm, welcoming conversation while ensuring that all check in procedures are completed properly.

2. Extremely slow elevators: Without exaggeration, we spent 20 minutes waiting for an elevator. We had to let 1 go by because it was already too full to allow a bell cart to fit. Of the 3 elevators, only 1 seemed to be stopping on the Lobby level. After a long drive from the Okanagan to the city (heavy snow, then heavy rain), we were short on patience. Not once did a staff member come by to apologize or explain why only 1 elevator seemed to be working. Perhaps the elevators double as service/staff elevators?! That would explain why the other two were locked on certain floors.

4. Mediocre guest rooms: Although our room was spacious and the full size fridge came in handy, you could hear what the neighbours were up to and in our case, it was a post-clubbing party. It's a good thing we were so exhausted that when we eventually did fall asleep, we stayed asleep! The TV was situated at an odd angle and we think this is to accommodate viewing from both the bed and the couch across from it. Either way, it didn't work well for viewing. The bed sheets were scratchy and the blankets were quite thin. I kept my shoes on while awake as the carpet was quite dingy.

5. Dismal Last impression: At least the woman checking us out was smiling although, although there was no inquiry about how our stay was. Now I'm not sure if the cafe adjacent to the lobby, by the main entrance is run by the hotel, but service was again, poor if non existent. There were no other customers in the cafe. At first I didn't see the beverage menu as it is on a LCD screen that changes every few minutes so of course I asked. The woman behind the counter could barely force a smile to her face no matter that I was trying to be gracious and friendly. It truly felt like I was intruding on her day.

Overall, a disappointing experience no matter how you spin it. Not sure why the quality of service was so poor. Having been in the staff's shoes and having managed staff in their positions, it is abundantly clear when a staff does not care versus a staff who is overwhelmed and therefore cannot meet expectations. As I mentioned earlier, we were often the only guests requiring assistance and they just stood around.

Do yourself a favour and pay a wee bit more and stay at one of the other great hotels Downtown Vancouver has to offer!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry that although we came recommended, that you left disappointed. I agree that the lack of service from the bellman was not acceptable. We have addressed the service concerns that you encountered as it is our aim to ensure consistency with all guests. We don’t claim to be a 4 or 5 star hotel, but we do try to deliver the best possible service and quality. The particular room that you were in, is actually having it’s carpets replaced next week. It was our plan to do this earlier in the year, but we’ve been at such a high occupancy lately, that we haven’t been able to. We are happy that you did enjoy the size of the room and the kitchen. We hope that we can discuss this further with you given the chance. As we’d love to have you as our guest again and be able to offer you the same great stay that your friend had.

larjoy
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Rooms were dated to say the least. Rugs, TV etc are in need of upgrading !! There was a very musty odour whenever we entered the room. Our bottom bedsheet was torn. Wifi was supposed to be in the rooms but never worked unless we were in the main lobby even though we were charged 9 dollars for the service. They first suggested we move from the 19th floor to the 14th so that the reception might be better which we did and it wasn't !!! 17 dollars per day for parking plus HST is a lot although I realize all hotels charge it now. The hotel lobby was clean and the restaurant was nice although we only ate there for breakfast. All in all, disappointing to us both.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the first room you received. Unfortunately, due to the structure of how the hotel was built, wireless wifi is not available in all of our rooms. For the rooms that do not have access to a wireless connection, we do have wired high speed available. I am so sorry for the torn sheet that you saw on your bed, as this is not up to the standards of what we aim to provide and we have since done a complete inventory check and removed any other sheets that have small rips in them. We would love to hear more about your trip and if you have time, please do contact us to discuss further, as it is our hope that you will stay with us again.