“Things That Go "Bump"...”

Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
St. Augustine, Florida
“Things That Go "Bump"...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was my first time staying here.

The positives:

Nice bar/restaurant on site
Attentive staff
Very nice, clean room
Great location

The negatives:

Concrete on the balcony was filthy and had moss growing on it
Renovation construction started very early in the morning, and it was noisy before 8:00am

When I reserved this room, I reserved a room with a balcony. When I checked in, I got to my room and discovered it did NOT have a balcony, despite balcony rooms being available. The staff got me into a balcony room in short order, but it never should've been an issue.

The morning construction was another story. Banging on the walls at 7:45am was rather unwelcome. As someone who travels on business, and does business from his hotel room, I had to contend with the incessant banging while on the phone.

If I stay here again, I'll call first to find out if there is any construction and/or renovation going on. If there is, I think I might choose another hotel. If there's no construction or renovations happening, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whitehorse, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

as we stayed there in march the hotel was undergoing construction @ the time. we go to vancouver to see medical specialist so we are always there for @ week @ a time every 6 months now. the staff was very rude @ the front desk<< on the website it did not say anything about renovations which they tried to tell me it did. one of the main reasons we booked a room there was location & the swimming pool which was closed.. only 1 elevator was working and when it did show up 20 minutes later it was full of the construction workers so we had to wait even longer.. not to mention if u take the stairs from the 9th floor with a 3 year old & a stroller u always got to move the workers ladders out of the way..... i was just gonna book here again hoping the pool is open but after reading the reviews i will pass and stay elsewhere. also it sucked waking up @ 5am to listen to drilling & banging.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank unhappymomma
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Nice rooms good staff, not good business ctr, have to pay to acess internet. Wi-Fi did not work in room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Nord2010
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Since I read all the reviews before my trip, I did not have high expectations for this hotel. Howver, I picked it because the location was very important to me and I only stayed one night. I am happy to say that the room was quiet, spotless, yes somewhat dated, but acceptable. I did not see any sign of renovations, although the staff warned me of pool closures and gym closure. The restaurant breakfast was very reasonable, and for the first time, I saw fresh berries and lots of frest fruit on the buffet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

The place was undergoing renovations. But other than the fact that pool & fitness center were closed, there was no impact on our stay. We requested a room with a view of the downtown and they gave us what they could with an angled view of the Granville bridge. The hotel is a little dated, but still felt clean and well maintained. We had their buffet on both days which was decent. The fresh fruits in the buffet were the highlight for us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

reserved with some trepidation, given reviews. The hotel is very well-located, a 3-minute walk from the Skytrain, and thus has very easy access to downtown, the airport, bus to ferries at Tsawassen. The room had been fully renovated and was impeccably clean. Both elevators and working and I had no problems accessing my floor. the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. My room on the 6th floor had a wonderful view of the Burrard Bridge and Stanley park and distant mountains. there was some very muted power-tool noise during working hours, but absolutely no problems or noise between 5PM and 7:30 AM. the pool is still out of commission. As to complaints about the restaurant: frankly, anyone expecting gourmet food at a hotel restaurant is usually barking up the wrong tree ! There are many restaurants (Asian, Italian, vegetarian..) and coffee shops in the immediate area of the hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

HI Vancouver centre... is not center at all, but 4 underground stops from there, at least change the name! Hotels is an ugly '70 or '80th building, reception, restaurant and rooms as well. Breakfast was not a pleasant experience, croissants were at least 2 days old, and even if u r "b&b" they ask some 6 bucks extra for it! Rooms are and looks old. They say they r under renovations, meanwhile better to remove Hi sign, not to disappoint usual Hi customers, not expecting luxury service but for sure something better

• Stayed July 2011