“Only Stay Here If You Love Surly Staff”

Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is a old downtown Holiday Inn with small rooms and limited amenities. When we arrived there was a sign saying no pool, hot tub or workout room as they were undergoing renovations, so I asked for a discount. The very surly staff informed me that the price quoted was a dicounted price. We paid over $200.00 per night and our AAA guide said this was the normal rate. Any time I asked for anything at the desk I was treated like I had asked for the moon and they were only helping me because I would not take no for an answer! The parking is $18 per night extra even though the sign at the parking structure states parking to be $15.00. Stay anywhere else in the city and get a better deal and a nicer room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret32201

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Don't be fooled. Despite the renovations, this hotel is a pit. There's construction on one side of the hotel, so you're likely to be awakened at 5am, as we were. The lobby is frightful. The restaurant is expensive for mediocre food ($60 for a family of four for breakfast). And, the management couldn't have cared less when we complained about advertised amenities that weren't available or the construction. No matter the cost, I wish we had never stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dcpops
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We had a pleasant stay. The hotel was undergoing some much needed renovations. The noise was not significant. Service at the front desk was good. Concierge? Our taxi driver helped us with our bags after he retrieved the trolley from the lobby. We had to push the trolley to the room ourselves. But that was ok considering the cheap price we paid.
Whilst the hotel is not downtown, it is on West Broadway close to their train station. Trains run regularly and are cheap, even cheaper if you are a senior.
Around the hotel are a wide range of restaurants and cafe, including an excellent Chinese restaurant favored by the locals.
Breakfast in the hotel is expensive for the choice of food available. You are better off eating at one of the local cafes for half to one third the price.
If you are into mountaineering gear etc. Just down the road is a huge store with all imaginable gear. Also along the same road are several other smaller but similar stores.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Yes, the HI Vancouver Centre is not in the centre (not even close) but in a centre. Nice enough neighborhood with lots of restaurants and supermarkets nearby. Parking is C$17 per day and that seems reasonable enough although it is not a guarded garage and anyone can enter.

There is construction next to the hotel (did not hear a thing though) and the hotel is under renovation (again, it did not bother me at all). For the price you pay it is not too shabby. The renovated room in which I stayed was perfectly adequate and had a great view (1515). The bed is very comfortable and the shower is good (no Niagara Falls but good). Elevators were working fine and I never had to wait more than 3 minutes so that problem is solved now too.

Staff was very friendly and the room service was excellent. Not overly expensive either. What did surprise me was that the room had no minibar or fridge and no safe. Maybe those still need to be installed.

Recommendation is based on the price I paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room on the 15th or 16th floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Henkybaby
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Arrived here by car and after a looong wait for the elevator at the parking floor it arrived jam packed and we ended up having to walk 4 floors down a grimy escape staircase and out to the street before finding our way back into the hotel... Not a very nice welcome and not a good service for the C$17/day they charge for parking....

Turns out there is only one elavator in use for the whole hotel... this has been since January, and its now June.! Also, while they are at it, no pool and no gym, they are closed while they are being re-built too.

After check-in and grumbling to the hotel staff that they should inform patrons of their renovations on the website so we can make an informed decision on whether to book or not, I was told rather defensively that this is indeed on the website. In that case it must be in the fine print as I dont remember seeing it. And hence the reason for this review to warn and inform other potential guests...

Final point to note. When i asked for walking directions to Gastown, I was given a map and told to take a tgrain a few blocks away, 4 stops down to the town. This hotel might be called Vancouver centre but its not in the centre of town... you have been warned.!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank cmdsea
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I always feel safe by choosing Holiday Inn but this time I am really disappointed. I would never expect this from a Holiday inn. I made a reservation and paid in advance and checked into the Vancouver Canada hotel on Sunday afternoon. On May 8th.
I picked this Hotel because it stated it had an indoor swimming pool. When I arrived in Canada and checked into the Hotel the front desk employee told me that the Pool was closed due to renovations. Me and my friend were very disappointed because we looked forward to using the pool. She did not really care and told us that we should have seen it was under renovation when we booked the hotel. No where did it say that you were under renovation. If I had known this I would have booked for another Holiday inn. I was very tired traveling and just got off a ship and I am not from Canada, do not know the area so we had no car and no choice but to stay at this hotel. Not to mention I had already paid for this hotel in advance. I want to let you know that the hammering started early in the am and I could not sleep in. when my friend took a shower I got in the shower about 15 minutes later and there was very little hot water. I had two minutes of hot water for myself. I would think that the hot water heater in a Holiday Inn would be able to accomodate two people. There was also only one elevator because the other one was closed down and on more than one occasion I had to wait 7 minutes for the elevator to open. Also when I was checking out I called the front desk to complain again about the elevator and told them I was trying to check out and it was 5 minutes til 12 and the elevator was not opening. I had a plane to catch and they never offered to come up and carry my luggage after I asked them where the stairs were located. Also cockroaches near the window. I complained to Holiday inn when I got home and all they did was send an e mail back to me thinking me for my "COMMENT" i Will never stay at ANY holiday inn AGAIN

Room Tip: Your best bet is not to stay at a Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank travelg5z222
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Stay away. The hotel is being renovated while still operating - the whole hotel is filled with fumes of carpet glues, paint, and other noxious construction smells. But, the hotel has only one elevator and it is jammed from 7 - 9 am by guest - 30 minute wait sometimes - and the maids block it from 9 -12. Guests must use the stairs up to the 16th floor. Many amenities are not operating. Stay away.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business