“Don't like clubbing, don't come here!”

and 1 more site!
Hostelling International Vancouver Central
whistler
“Don't like clubbing, don't come here!”
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I stayed at this location yesterday and I was very disappointed by the service. My room was located directly above a nightclub and the bass noise was unbearable. I could hear all the lyrics from the songs and the bed was vibrating due to the noise. Even with earplugs I could hear the noise until 3 in the morning. Unless you are in a room way above the nightclub or you are going clubbing, don't even consider staying here. Otherwise the room was nice and we had breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank coucoute

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I recently stayed at HI Central (Vancouver) for a night. The reservation staff (particularly a man called Harold) was RUDE to say the least. He messed up my reservation and then later after several frantic phone calls arranged a room for my stay. While I agree that human errors are normal it was his rude and arrogant behaviour that was insulted by. The goof-up with the reservation came up just on the morning of my arrival and I had no time to change to another hostel. Moreover they had my credit card details and refused to give me a refund so that I could book another place. I wish he was more courteous and treated customers with respect. Although he shouted at me boasting that he had spent "n number of years in the hospitality business" and that he knew his job extremely well, I was left wondering what kind of an asset he actually is to the organization given his sharp tongue and rude attitude!

Regarding the hostel itself, its very close to downtown Vancouver (10 mins walking). The Granville Road is being dug up so its very dusty and unappealing right now. The hostel room is just basic and decently clean. The bathrooms were a bit dirty and ALWAYS occupied (particularly in the morning) when everyone is taking showers. If you like noise at night, this is the place for you. If not, god save you! Try to get a room on the 4th floor where the noise is still bearable, if you're on the 1st floor dude, good luck sleeping. I was on the 4th and had a tough time with the bass reverberations the entire night. The hostel hallways were lit very dim and smelly. On one of the floors the water pipe was leaking creating a puddle of water ruining the already tattered carpet.

The hostel is located close to several adult stores (I mean these stores are literally right, left and center!) and one can see hookers lurking in the dark alleys and street corners. If this is your idea of fun then there's not much to say, you'll definitely have fun. But a red light area is not upto everyone's tastes, not mine definitely. I felt very uncomfortable particularly late at night walking. Also, the streets nearby (Helmcken, Seymour) have plenty of homeless people and look like a downtrodden street in Detroit. In short, if I knew about all these issues before I made the booking, I would not have stayed here.

Will not recommend to a friend, particularly a female solo traveler.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank solofemaletourist

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2008

Two girlfriends & I started our trip here in Vancouver and were very pleased with the HI Hostel. Staff are extremely friendly and informative. Always willing to help out - especially Mark, Darren and John. Hostel hosts different events daily so good to get to know other travellers.
Good common areas, yummy breakfasts. Very clean rooms and bathrooms - was excellent to have a sink in our dorm room also.
Bathrooms seem to be cleaned 24/7 which was lovely.
Noise from the club below didnt bother us but could see if someone was travelling alone and wanted to get an early night, this would be a problem.
Will definately be back!

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean bathrooms, central location.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I stayed here with my boyfriend, and we called ahead to see if we'd have to book two beds or just one. The person on the phone assured us that since we'd both be sleeping in the same bed, we only needed to book one for a dorm room. Unfortunately, when we arrived quite weary from our long trip, they told us that the person on the phone had unfortunately told us the wrong thing and we were relegated to the "emergency room, " which really sucked. The emergency room is located right above the nightclub and it's LOUD ALL NIGHT LONG. It was really terrible, especially because we were so tired and we just wanted to get some rest. Although the staff was mostly pretty nice, the next morning we slept rather late and when we left for the day, we asked that our sheets be changed. The staff member at the desk then was very rude to us and said, "YEAH, that's generally how hostels work!" But when we came back, they in fact had NOT changed our sheets.
There are plenty of good things to say about this hostel, however. I never had to wait for a bathroom, it was very clean, and the atmosphere was friendly. The staff let us keep our bags there for the day even after our stay was over when we had an afternoon still in Vancouver, and they were generally pretty courteous with some exceptions. The location is also really great, but I would say they need to get their act together with the reservation system. Honestly, I don't think this hostel is as great as it's made out to be. I've stayed in much nicer ones.

• Liked — Location, easygoing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Screwed-up reservation, very loud room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed at the HI central in August and really couldn't complain about anything there - given the price which was $100 for a private room on the 4th floor - clean - but 'shabby' - in need of some TLC - the bar noise wasn't too bad - I did not spot a single mouse - or evidence of any mice anywhere (I suspect then this problem has been cleared).

On the Saturday the finale of the International fireworks competition the noise from the bar/club below was loud and permeated through to the fourth floor - but it wasn't terribly intrusive - I was up late getting back from the fireworks and Granville Street was heaving with clubgoers and police - but it was OK.

I didn't use the breakfast facilities - I took the view that I had a week in Vancouver and I needed to make the most of each day - so I was off each morning by nine - breakfasting at different locations (White Spot, Tim Hortons, Pacific Centre food court etc) and ready to be away all day - I think the earliest I got back in the evenings was 9pm and for a hostel - I was very comfortable - I had a TV in my room with sufficient channels to keep me watching something - and a shower room etc.
The waste bin was emptied every day but Sunday and you don't expect the rooms to be cleaned every day staying in a hostel (stay in a hotel for that). I have stayed in the Downtown Best Western and the Century Plaza on previous trips to Vancouver - however - value for money wise the HI Central has got the hotels beat.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — being on granville street
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Kofu, Japan
Reviewed September 25, 2008

This place was my very first hostel experience. I loved it! The staff were very nice.. quite easy on the eyes, too.. (if you know what I mean). :) It was very clean, someone was always constantly cleaning.. I loved it.. ! And will be going back in the future...

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Kitchener
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed for a week and were satisfied with these "typical" budget hostel accommodations, but the hostel also has several negative points that need to be mentioned.

PROS: Very central location downtown that is walking distance to almost everything. We had a great private room (not cramped) with a large bathroom and clean shower (no tub). The hostel is very safety conscious in the evening especially since it is situated on a rowdy party street (Granville Street). They keep the doors locked on popular party nights to keep rowdy drunk clubgoers out - you flash your card to get in. There is plenty of local information available as flyers and handouts in the front lounge which came in very handy (i.e. closest grocery stores and cheap or vegetarian restaurants, etc). The laundry facilities onsite and wireless internet (available in a lounge area) for people with wireless capable laptops was very handy. Free breakfast. 24 hour front desk. Tidy common areas including a TV and seats.

CONS: The club below the hostel plays pounding music from the late evening until 2am which can still be heard with earplugs in and is worst on the lower floors. Luckily the club does not appear to be active every evening but watch out for partier Fridays when cops were lining Granville street due to the club crowd. The food preparation area is too small to accommodate many people at once so you are likely to have to bring your free breakfast (plain cereal, toast, fruit, etc) back up to your room to eat. The room was not vacuumed and the bathroom not cleaned during our week-long stay and the garbage in the room was not emptied daily so we emptied it ourselves into a hallway garbage can. The building wastes energy because you can't turn the radiator off so when you turn the Air Conditioner on it's fighting a concurrently running radiator! We sometimes had to open our door to get ventilation and overheard others complaining of the lack of heat control. We saw no evidence of any pest/mouse problem at all in the building and storage areas are available downstairs for food. The street itself is very seedy with a lot of panhandlers, homeless people, etc. But like everywhere in Vancouver you can walk two blocks and the neighbourhood changes to something nice! :) This hostel is a good choice for people who want to be right downtown but if you are a light sleeper try the Vancouver Downtown hostel instead which is several blocks south-west.

• Liked — Central location downtown, handy flyers and front desk information, great price, better than average private hostel rooms
  • Disliked — Loud music emanating from the club below at night, poor climate control in room, seedy street
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple