“Great hostel”

and 1 more site!
Hostelling International Vancouver Central
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed there two nights for a city trip. Went earlier than the check in hour and our room was ready for us. Friendly staff, they know the city and respond well to request. We had private room with big bed and our own bathroom. Room was nice. Furniture was a bit "oldish" but otherwise a lot of space and handy. Unfortunately we were located in the third floor and the lift was broken, but it is no big deal. Breakfast is decent, but nothing amazing. Location of the hostel is just perfect.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed both in HI and Samesun right across the street so I can compare. I must say I liked Samesun much more. HI is much older building, rooms were not that clean, overall character was quite poor. They have a lot of activities though as every HI. I appreciated an elevator as I had a lot of luggage, breakfast was very rich, wide choise-I liked that. Location is good, staff just average, someone can use ISIC discount. If you can choose,stay in Samesun, it's more lively, more fun...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maiklcz2
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I originally reserved to stay here for 4 nights, but immediately checked out the very next day. The main reason was the absolute rudeness of one of the housekeeping ladies. I attempted to contact this hostel to complain about it, but nothing was ever resolved since I never received an answer to my complaint. I tried to leave specific details of the situation here on trip advisor, but they weren't happy about the specifics and asked me to modify my review. So I can only say the place needed serious cleaning and was super dirty. Very unfriendly staff except for one lady who worked the night shift the day I arrived. (She was friendly). There's no a/c so the room felt like a sauna which made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in January, and would have liked to stay longer. It is in a fantastic location, really close to everything. Offers a wide variety of activities to keep you busy. Good common areas, and great continental breakfast included in the room price. The hostel was only half full, but instead of cramming everyone in the same rooms to minimise cleaning effort, they only put 1 or 2 people in each room, giving you a bit more privacy and space, which I thought was really nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Room was incredibly cramped and not really cleaned properly. On arrival, we were informed they didnt have our reservation. Good breakfast though; cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels, breads, scones. Good location, close to shopping and bar/clubs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tbyrne87
Reviewed November 3, 2012

the people at front desk are so bad at customer service one in particular so rude. Dont even bother about asking for help and ideas walk across to samesun hostel for that. Apart from the rude staff who are always on face book and their phone the hostel in awesome location clean as bathrooms are nice clean and private and hostel is quiet to. also good security on doors all rooms include larger lockers

Room Tip: was in 4 bed girks good size
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
VCTHostelManager, Manager at Hostelling International Vancouver Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with customer service at our front desk. We strive to give excellent service to our guests, but it sounds like we failed badly in this case. I've messaged you privately to discuss this further. Glad to hear that you did find us clean and secure, and that you liked our location. Kind Regards, Keith

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here late August for my final days of my cross Canada trip.
Must say I can't complain about much, but the room sizes are just unacceptable. Having stayed in many hostels this surprised me.
The lockers are tiny as well, and due to small room there is no other storage cabinet.
Did also not like the sink in the room which was dirty most of the time.
However, did love the rich breakfast and the atmosphere.
The location is excellent too, right in the heart of Vancouver's night life, within easy reach of all downtown attractions.
Staff are helpful, knowledgable and friendly.
Make great recommendations as to what to do. The hostel also organises its own events which are great because some of them involve going to the Hi Downtown which makes it easier to link up with people. The pub crawls are fun and so are the day trips!
Would recommend and will return, but hopefully they will get new carpets and increase room sizes.

Room Tip: Try to get a private room, as they are much bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo