Stayed here for 4 nights in a private room with ensuite in Mar 2012.
1) Our longhaul flight landed early moring and even though check-in wasn't until afternoon they let us check-in early which was a major bonus.
2) The room was generously sized for a hostel - we were surprised.The room and common areas were very clean and the free breakfasts were decent including some pastries, cereal, milk, toast and muffins. Communal kitchen has microwave but no stove.
3) HI is surprisingly quiet given the location and pretty easy to come and go from. The staff called us a cab to get our train upon leaving.
4) The HI activities including Granville Island tour was excellent as was the Canucks NHL match - we bought tickets at a discount from front desk and a group goes for a beer beforehand and to the match, we met lots of people through these tours.
1) There is no view to speak of from any of the rooms or common areas - we personally had a dreary view of a barbed wire fence overlooking some old rooves.
2) The area is central like the name suggests although its on the dodgier end of Granville Street its safe enough if you ignore the Spoonman and people asking you for Whiskey money. Girls will probably feel better in groups of 2 or more.
3) Like other people have said - the common areas are very cramped and oddly shaped. They had to work with what they had here and not much can be done about it - we were okay because we had a private room but don't know how it would fly if you were in a bunk room.
Overall, we'd stay here again for sure. I'd say in summary this is a good 25-30 yo hostel and Samesun is better for 18-25 yo because of the better common area and vibe (I've stayed at both).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Smack dab in the middle of Granville Street's pub and club district, we're one of the newest Vancouver hostels -- and if you're angling for access to all the partying and good times you could want, without compromising on security, comfort, and cleanliness, then we're where you want to be!If you're looking for the fun of a hostel, but still want privacy, you'll love our ensuite private rooms (cable TV included!) and our two-bed dorms. These are our most popular room types, so make sure to book in advance! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hostelling International Vancouver Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International Vancouver Central Hotel Vancouver