“Web Site photos are what will be not what is”

Georgian Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #23 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I booked this hotel originally in April for about $248 CAD per night. The only reason I booked it was because my parents who were arriving on a package deal on a cruise where staying here. After trying to get my brother in law in a month or so later he said they were giving out good prices so I rechecked and found the price had dropped considerably so instead of me paying $480 for 2 nights I got the rooms at $350.

I thought it was a credit crunch thing but clearly they are renovating. The web site photos are clearly what the hotel will be and not what it currently is or rather some parts of the hotel are renovated. The room was lovely which is really what counts I suppose. The hotel is , to be honest, OK for a one or two night stay but I would be sorely disappointed if this was my only hotel stay in this city.

Some people only want the basics, then this is fine. I want a hotel to make me feel special. I don't mean in a grovelly way, but I stay in hotels to get something different, to enjoy the facilities, to sit in the lounge bar, to watch the people. The lobby felt like a car park payment area and is in fact where you pay for the public parking next door too so not far off.

Pros:

Nice small gym with modern equipment. This is a plus for me.
Friendly Staff
Nice room
Very comfy bed (Huge Plus)
Iron and Ironing board in room (Huge Plus even if not used)
Tea and coffee making facilities (Huge Plus)

Cons (Not really many):

NO lounge area. This is a big negative for me as the 5 of us had nowhere to sit and chat when the rest of my party arrived without going into their bar and spending money.

The attached restaurant is nice enough with basic fare burgers, and fried food, not very imaginative. The caeser salad was nice enough if a bit overpriced once you had added protein. $6 for 6 prawns on a $10 plate of romaine lettuce is a bit steep.

So basically I think the hotel during it's transition phase is OK if you don't want any services from a hotel apart from a room and gym and can get the price I paid about $135 CAD a night. Any more an look elsewhere.

If I had this trip again I woulds have booked into the Hermitage before my cruise, I am staying here for 1 night after my cruise as it is more modern, is an apartment and is in a slightly better location for around the same price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed June 1, 2009

My wife and I arrived to be greeted by a plywood front facia and orange barriers at the entrance. Upon entering (no doorman), I finally found the "front desk" in an obviously temporary room. The entire area was dirty due to the construction obviously going on, and the girl at the desk apologized for the mess, but said they were remodeling in anticipation of the Olympics next winter. I asked about our room and she checked us in without any further discussion of the accomodations or rate discount due to the construction. We went to our room, dragging our own bags (no bellman), which was located down a hall with no wallpaper and workmen coming and going. The room was rather small and not nearly as inviting as the pictures on their website. The bed looked very "lumpy" and needed a new duvet, at the least. In fact, virtually nothing on their nicely done website photos really resembled what we actually observed there. We had a view of the side of the colliseum across the street and not much else. As this was a trip booked for a special occasion, and I had called and talked to their reservationist about the accomodations (who did not speak of the view, lack of staff, or the fact that extensive remodeling would be going on), I was very disappointed. After discussing this with my wife for a few minutes, I got on the phone and found a great room at the Westin Bayshore (actually for less money and for a much nicer room and facilities) and then promptly checked out of the Georgian Court. The clerk asked us why (as though there should be any question), and when I told her, she asked if they could offer anything to encourage us to stay. I told her that the reasons we were leaving should have been addressed before we got here, and at the least, some consideration should have been offered when we arrived, not only after they knew we were unsatisfied and were going to leave. I would not recommend this hotel, which could have ruined our trip except for the great people at the Westin Bayshore, which I would recommend highly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NMTraveler48
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We booked this hotel through Expedia, and boy am i glad we did. It is at the bottom end of the main down town area, close to the Junction of Beatty and Robson, and directly across from the BC Place.
We asked for a room at the front and on the higher floors by email before arrival, and this was arranged. It also coincided with our wedding anniversary and a large bouquet of flowers was arranged for my wife on the day we arrived.
The staff were knowledagable, helpful and friendly. Whilst we were there the world Fireworks championship took place, and the guys behind the desk told us the best place to see the event .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank egglestn
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I stayed here for a few days with my brother. I booked it due to its location (my friend lives across the road). It's ok and not far from downtown. The rooms were clean but it looked a fair bit older than the photos on the website (and that is on top of taking the website pictures with a pinch of salt!). The rooms were quiet and had all the needed amenities. The staff were friendly.

Overall a pleasant stay. Just not as 'nice' looking as it seems on the website.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two nights on our way back from Whistler. The hotel is in a central location, and I agree with some of the previous reviews, if you venture a bit further to the wrong direction, you can end up in dodgy bits. But if you take all the right turns, you are very close to Yale Town and Robson streets etc. The hotel itself is in a nice neighbourhood, and i never felt unsafe around there.

The check-in staff were very friendly and helpful, and voluntarily give suggestions in nearby eatery during the check-in, as we arrived during lunch hour. The room was spacious and nicely decorated. The Aveda toiletries were a nice touch. The double beds are a bit small for two people (if you want to be cozy), we ended up sleeping in seperate beds, but the beds are very comfortable. The wireless internet is complimentary, but we found the internet speed to be very slow at times. Only other criticism is the doors to the corridor seems to be very thin, and we were woken up several times by inconsiderate travellers talking very loudly in the corridor and slamming doors in the middle of the night on the 2nd night.

There is underground parking within the hotel, and they charge $13 per 24 hour, which seems to be a lot cheaper than some other hotels in Vancouver area.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Whateasy
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed here for three nights and was very pleased, especially considering the amazing price I paid through a third-party booking site. The room was comfortable and well-equipped. Nothing spectacular, but clean and thoroughly decent. As a tea drinker, I really appreciated that it was fully stocked with tea and a kettle in addition to coffee and a coffeemaker. The location was great for me - 1 1/2 blocks from SkyTrain to get out to the 'burbs where I was attending a workshop for parts of the weekend. But also easy walking to other things. I appreciated the free wired and wireless Internet.

The one drawback for me was that the enormous windows - wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling - looked into an office building that was very close by. This meant that I had to keep the curtains closed while in the room, especially during working hours. This was a shame, since the windows were so nice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank illyBritishColumbia
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in August 2008 with my girlfriend during a three week summer holiday. We were driving around BC so the basement car park was great and reasonable value compared to the rest of our trip.

We had a standard double room overlooking the BC Stadium and had a large (comfortable) double bed, dressing table, sofa, large mirror and built in wardrobe. Throughout the room and bathroom all the fixtures and fittings were relatively modern and clean.

We found this hotel and good base from which to explore Vancouver for a couple days and reasonable value compared to what else was on offer. The breakfast in the ground floor restaurant provided a typical hot and cold buffet set up. We only had it once as not use to large breakasts!

If in Vancouver again we would consider this hotel again due to it's central location and reasonable value.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GingerTravellingScot