“Modern room with good downtown location”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites
Ranked #24 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Chicago, Illinois
“Modern room with good downtown location”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Our family spent 8-day vacation in Vancouver, and I booked this hotel via expedia.com three months ahead of time. Unfortunately when we arrived the room was not as expected. I am not sure it is a matter of confusion or last-minute room shortage; but the room description I got from expedia.com was not the same as the one given to me. However after a couple of night getting used to the beds I decide to concentrate on my vacation instead of pushing for room change. Overall the staff was well trained and they handled my situation; but I would not recommend anyone booking just one room and expect comfortable bed. Their room size is okay BUT there is no 2QB arrangement. I think you can only get 1KB with one twin-size sofa bed or 2 DB or 1 QB with 1 double-bed soda bed. It won't be comfortable for 4 like my family. The room is modern and clean, but there is no mini-bar or microwave if someone needs it. You do have the typical coffee machine.

I like their security that requires room key to operate the elevator. The lobby was modern and clean. The second floor is their restaurant for breakfast and lunch. The third floor is their garage but I only do same-day return for my rental to avoid expensive surcharge to park my car there.

Adjacent to the hotel with connecting doors at first three floors is some sort of university center. But in late July and early August there was no student traffic. Right across the street is the Dollars/Thrifty car rental, although I like using Avis on Hornby a few-minute walk from the hotel. I did not go up to the Vancouver lookout tower but it is in the Harbor center to the right. Walking further towards the sea less than three-minute you will reach Waterfront station. You can buy a $9 day pass and use the 15-minute Seabus across the harbor to N. Vancouver. Canada-line train connection to YVR/Richmond, Expo-line, and Millennium line are all there. So getting around is really easy. If not for Whistler day-trip I would not need a rental at all. The hotel is also close to Robson street and water-front shopping areas. There is no shortage of decent restaurants and food courts.

The YVR line can also connect you to Vancouver Island via bus 620 Tsawwassen Ferry. The Yaletown stop gets you to Davis Street where you can catch a water taxi to Granville Island, Martime museum, and Science museum. The Gastown steam clock is within 10-to-15 minute walking distance. Canada Place is next to Waterfront station. Walking along the shoreline in that direction leads you to the Coal Harbor Marine dock. You can take the bus #19 on Georgia Street to reach Stanley Park as well.

If you want to avoid paying for hotel laundry, you can also walk to Abott Coin Laundry at 402 Abott Street.in less than 10 minutes. You can do the laundry yourself or the Korean owner can do it for you 80-cent per pound.

Room Tip: If you cannot get a room with two double beds and a sofa bed, fitting four in a room will mos likely...
2 Thank WheelingTraveler
Joanne P, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello Wheeling Traveler -

I am sorry we were not able to deliver the bed configuration you required for your family however I am pleased to hear your overall outlook of your vacation. Based on your mentions of various attractions and neighbourhoods, you took in a lot of Vancouver during your 8-day visit. I'm pleased to see that! It's a great city to visit.

Great travel tips for getting around the city, out to the airport and to the ferry and north shore - thanks for sharing!

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Joanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here in June 2012. We paid 178/night with expedia unpublished rates, We upgraded our room (to a 1 bedroom suite) for I think $15 a night. Becareful of this, they will try to sell you the "club levels" first but they do have cheaper upgrades than those ones. We were on the 19th floor.

Pro's:
- The location was pretty good, we walked a lot and many things were in walking distance.
- Many food and bar options around the area
- Our room was nice, large and we were a corner unit so it was quiet.

Con's
- the parking was expensive, beware the lot across from the hotel will say full but apparently it is not, pull up and tell the attendant you are staying at the hotel. It took us about 5 mins to locate the parking because it said it was full.

Room Tip: High floors have better views
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
GNagra, Revenue Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear KikiMira,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Delta Vancouver Suites. It is always great to know how our guests stay was. Your comments about the parking lot are highly valued and I will be sure to share them with our team to avoid any confusion future guests may have with the full sign being on.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Delta Vancouver Suites in the near future.

Gurpreet Nagra
Burt Lake, Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently spent two nighs @ Delta Suites while waiting to take a cruise/tour of Alaska. We chose it for location (close to our cruise ship dock, as well as to the city center), price, and ease of moving around the city to see the sights. We were not disappointed in anything but the food service and wheelchair access. The room was nice, clean and had an ok view. The hotel is a very nice property, check-in and out was easy, and we were indeed located right in the heart of the cit, close to our dock and to various attractions in Vancouver. The concierge service was excellent, providing us with spot-on info re: what to see, and how to do it. We took the advice, and were not sorry. All in all, an excellent stay.

We did have a couple of issues that stood out, however. The food service was not good. On our first morning, we were eager to get started exploring the city, so we went to the in-house restaurant for what we thought would be a quick breakfast and then be on our way. We got there between 8 and 8:30 am and were immediately seated as it was only moderately busy. It went downhill from there.

We waited over 30 min. before the waitress even acknowledged we were there, and another 15 before we even got coffee and had our orders taken. We both ordered simple breakfasts with eggs over-easy. It took another half hour to be served, and neither breakfast was what we ordered, and the eggs were hard and the plates had obviously been sitting awhile. We were offered and accepted a 10% discount on an already high-priced breakfast, but we were not even tempted to try again for dinner.

The other issue had to do with the configuration of the hotel for barrier-free access. As a Parkinson's patient, I use a wheelchair when traveling, because of safety concerns, to conseve my energy, and to decrease pain. I wheel myself everywhere, and very much appreciate businesses that have put some thought into making themselves "Disabled Friendly." While the Delta in Vancouver fit the bill regard ing our room itself, the rest of the property was hard to access. Doors shut too quicklyl, one had to go out the back and go around the building just to get to the gift shop that was located on street level, but with steps and no ramp or elevator access. To get into the hotel after rolling around outside, I had to again go around and up a medium grade hill to get to the lobby. Corridors were narrow, and the elevators cramped. The afore-mentioned restaurant was so tough to negotiate that I had to be seated near thentrance, even though there was room by the windows, and neithe I, nor my chair are large. Not well-planned for guests with disabilities.

Other than those somewhat annoying but not vacation-wrecking issues, the stay was very good. Because of them, I would not rate it as excellent.

Room Tip: Go high, and ask for the side towards Canada Place.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan M, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing Delta Vancouver Suites and providing your feedback. While I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry to hear of some of the issues you encountered.

I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage team to ensure this does not happen again. I can assure you your experience is not indicative of the service and offerings we provide to our guests on a regular basis. I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to have you in for dinner as I am sure your experience would have been much better.

Thank you also for your comments regarding accessibility. We will certainly review the layouts of areas such as the restaurant and will take your other comments under advisement for any future planned capitol improvements.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise and I hope if you are ever back in Vancouver that we will have the opportunity to provide you with level of service I know we can provide.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights prior to taking a cruise to the inside passage. Nice location near gaslight district (restaurants, night life). Walked to cruise ship with luggage (roller bags). Rooms are large (2 rooms). Ours had a refrigerator and a liquor store is across the street to save a few $. We upgraded for $35 per night to the executive floor (called something else bu same difference). Provides complimentary breakfast in the business lounge with GREAT views of the city from an outside deck. Has a reasonable bar and restaurant. Absolutely no problems or complaints.

Room Tip: The views and breakfast from the upper floors are worth the upgrade cost
2 Thank cyantist
Thanks for the 5 star review!! Our location is definitely convenient for access to many areas of the city. Hopefully you can come back and enjoy the views again in the near future.

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here two nights and truly loved this hotel. It was a great location right in the heart of downtown Vancouver, blocks to the water and only a couple steps from Gastown. We upgraded to the Signature Club and enjoyed ALL it had to offer. The view was great from the signature club floors and the cost difference was worth it for the evening reception and morning breakfast. We loved sitting outside on the 21st floor drinking our coffee overlooking downtown close enough to the water to see the float planes coming and going. Both were impressive and the staff in the signature club was fantastic. The front desk staff was also extremely helpful and so nice. The only complaint that keeps this from being a 5 rating is the parking. It was expensive ($33/night) and difficult to get to the first time due to the one way streets. Overall - we would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for review. I'm sure our colleagues in the Signature Club will enjoy your comments and I'm positive they enjoy the view just as much as you did. Hopefully we see you again soon.

Missouri
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The Delta is in a convenient part of downtown and it was easy to walk to the convention center and the many shops and restaurants. The lobby is small with 3 small checkin "stands" instead of the typical counter or desk. Staff were all friendly and helpful. My room had two large windows but no view - just part of the building. However, it was nice to have some natural light.

The bathroom was huge with modern lighting and decor. The toilet was elevated, like a handicapped size, which could be uncomfortable for shorter people. The sink was shallow with no plug, so don't expect to fill the basin. The sink counter was in the corner and had an interesting curved design which I kind of liked. Ordinarily I want a functional bathroom, not stylish, but this design was fine. The shower was flawed in that the showerhead was the handheld kind on a hose attachment, and the mounting bracket was low (maybe 6 feet), making taller people have to bend down to get under the water. But if you want to remove and use it as a handheld, then you might like it. Towels weren't too fluffy but adequate, and shampoo and soap were quite nice.

The suite part of the room had a chair, lampstand, and work table. I had free Internet, both wired and wireless, which were both fast with no dropout. In fact, this was the best hotel Internet service I've had in a long time. A large TV can be swiveled to face either the chair or the bed. The closet had a safe and the only flaw was that the closet doors were large and swung out into the room, blocking access to the bathroom door (which likewise was large and swung out).

I found the bed to be slightly too firm but probably suitable for most. The pillows were high-quality and I slept well. There were 3 elevators to get to the rooms and they operated fine as long as you have your key card out to slide and quickly punch your button. I didn't make it to the fitness room but my friend said it was ok. We had breakfast one morning which was expensive (well, it's Vancouver after all) but surprisingly high quality - eggs Benedict, omelets, etc. Service was poor, though, which was strange considering it wasn't crowded and it's a small space. Another night we had some drinks in the bar where the service was much better. However, the bartenders had not heard of a gin gimlet and I had to explain how to mix it (and they still did it wrong with too much lime juice).

I took the train from the airport when arriving ($7.50) but because I had a very early flight I took a cab back because I didn't want to risk the train's not running or taking too long in the middle of the night. The cab was expensive ($36 including tip). If this is your first time in the Vancouver airport, be aware it's large with lots of walking. It took over 30 minutes before the bags started arriving. And the lines for customs each way were long. So plan on a good 90 minutes between the time your plane lands and arriving at your hotel.

The Delta Suites were high-quality and I didn't have any of the problems mentioned in other reviews. Lots of hotels to choose from in the convention center area, but definitely take a look at the Delta.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig D
An incredible review; thanks so much Craig. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and location so much. We will pass on your comments about the restaurant and bar to our Food & Beverage Manager. Thank you for the feedback.

As for the Canada Line, the schedule is very regular and applies 7 days per week. The first train from the Waterfront Station to YVR is at 4:48am every day. Trains are every 6-7 minutes in the morning and in my experience are 99% of the time on schedule (track maintenance can change the that). Feel free and check with any of our team members to confirm the schedules. It will save you a lot of money in transportation.

Thanks you again for your comments!
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and it was great. From the moment we walked to the front desk we received a warm welcome and excellent service. The room was great, perfect for a family (our daughter loved her separated sleeping quarter). The room was quiet, clean, comfortable, and close to everything. We loved our stay.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and it was. It did not fact the street and I never heard a peep!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SLDeltaDVS, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed her separate sleeping quarter. We hope to see you in the future.

Salesh