The Delta is in a convenient part of downtown and it was easy to walk to the convention center and the many shops and restaurants. The lobby is small with 3 small checkin "stands" instead of the typical counter or desk. Staff were all friendly and helpful. My room had two large windows but no view - just part of the building. However, it was nice to have some natural light.
The bathroom was huge with modern lighting and decor. The toilet was elevated, like a handicapped size, which could be uncomfortable for shorter people. The sink was shallow with no plug, so don't expect to fill the basin. The sink counter was in the corner and had an interesting curved design which I kind of liked. Ordinarily I want a functional bathroom, not stylish, but this design was fine. The shower was flawed in that the showerhead was the handheld kind on a hose attachment, and the mounting bracket was low (maybe 6 feet), making taller people have to bend down to get under the water. But if you want to remove and use it as a handheld, then you might like it. Towels weren't too fluffy but adequate, and shampoo and soap were quite nice.
The suite part of the room had a chair, lampstand, and work table. I had free Internet, both wired and wireless, which were both fast with no dropout. In fact, this was the best hotel Internet service I've had in a long time. A large TV can be swiveled to face either the chair or the bed. The closet had a safe and the only flaw was that the closet doors were large and swung out into the room, blocking access to the bathroom door (which likewise was large and swung out).
I found the bed to be slightly too firm but probably suitable for most. The pillows were high-quality and I slept well. There were 3 elevators to get to the rooms and they operated fine as long as you have your key card out to slide and quickly punch your button. I didn't make it to the fitness room but my friend said it was ok. We had breakfast one morning which was expensive (well, it's Vancouver after all) but surprisingly high quality - eggs Benedict, omelets, etc. Service was poor, though, which was strange considering it wasn't crowded and it's a small space. Another night we had some drinks in the bar where the service was much better. However, the bartenders had not heard of a gin gimlet and I had to explain how to mix it (and they still did it wrong with too much lime juice).
I took the train from the airport when arriving ($7.50) but because I had a very early flight I took a cab back because I didn't want to risk the train's not running or taking too long in the middle of the night. The cab was expensive ($36 including tip). If this is your first time in the Vancouver airport, be aware it's large with lots of walking. It took over 30 minutes before the bags started arriving. And the lines for customs each way were long. So plan on a good 90 minutes between the time your plane lands and arriving at your hotel.
The Delta Suites were high-quality and I didn't have any of the problems mentioned in other reviews. Lots of hotels to choose from in the convention center area, but definitely take a look at the Delta.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites is an all-suite hotel situated in the heart of downtown Vancouver, Canada and within a block of the Canada Line rail system. Our Vancouver hotel's location is within walking distance to many local attractions including Stanley Park, art galleries, theatres and Rogers Arena and BC Place Stadium. The hotel is within minutes of the Vancouver Convention Centre, the city's central business district and government offices. Enjoy shopping the Granville Street mall, Robson Street and take in the vibrant dining scene and nightlife of Gastown and Yaletown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Delta Vancouver Hotel Vancouver
- Delta Vancouver Suites Hotel
- Delta Hotel Vancouver