“Nicely updated, great staff, LOUD air conditioners”

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nicely updated, great staff, LOUD air conditioners”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and bar have recently been updated and are very nice. The staff is very attentive and courteous, and I was very pleased. The food at the restaurant/bar is also pretty good for a hotel.

With that said, the air conditioner blower in the room sounds like a jet engine, so much so that another random guest asked me in the elevator if I was having that same issue. Not sure what can be done, but a bit irritating.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Matthew S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here 2 different times (4 nights total over 6 days) and it was a great experience each time. We checked in late (on points) on a Thursday and had an awesome corner room with a view. The front desk was so nice and helpful. We came back (after a Whistler weekend) and had another corner room with a view of the harbor. This might be the best room I have ever stayed in (and I'm old) Everyone was so helpful and made you feel at home.

1 Thank ksols
VanMarriottPinnacle, General Manager at Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We love your review! Happy to hear you've enjoyed your stay with us. Kind regards, Joann Pfeifer, General Manager, Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel location excellent, service at the restaurant, bar and lounge VERY SLOWWWW, The decoration,cleanliness good, the bed wonderful. VERY EXPENSIVE WI-FI. CONNECTION IN YOUR ROOM. $15.95 DAILY. You can connect free of charge for four hours at the lobby but very unstable. .What did the manager say? This is very customary in CANADA!!! A shame for a four star hotel from Marriott, customers paying an average of $250.00!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank miriamr755
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I got a really great deal on a room at the marriott in downtown Vancouver. I was excited to stay, as I hadn't ever stayed at a marriott hotel. It was rated a four star, so I expected it to be higher end.
Check in was quick and effortless, the staff courteous.
The rooms were nice enough...the view to the city was wonderful. It was clean. Nothing that stood out as above average. I had an issue with the bathroom. There was nowhere to do make up properly. There wasn't a smaller mirror and I had to try to lean over the extra large counter to apply it. Very inconvenient! I was far to short to do that effectively..... It hurt my stomach leaning into the counter. I don't believe I have ever been in a hotel where there wasn't a vanity mirror to do makeup! I ended up applying it in the hall with a mirror and terrible lighting..... It was NOT a good make up night for me or my girlfriend. There was no soap dish for soap, things were hard to find....
We called down to front desk to order a cab for 7 and they informed us to just come down when we were ready and there would be one. We went and ended up waiting 10 minutes before one finally showed up. We were a little miffed, as that is why we phoned to order one.....so it would be there when we came down and we wouldn't have to wait, as we were already late. Not impressed by this at all. It was very disorganized outside, as it was very busy with other people coming and going and only 1 gentlemen trying to deal with it all.
We also didn't have an ice machine on our floor, which was a total pain. I completely understand that sometimes you have to go to other floors for ice, but I certainly didn't expect it in a "4" star hotel. So if you don't feel like taking taking an elevator for a few ice cubes, don't stay on floor 12!
Parking charge was over $30.... Just be prepared, as it is a big chunk to pay for an overnight stop!
I dont think this hotel is worth the high prices that are advertised. It's nice enough, but I have stayed in much nicer 4 star hotels in Vancouver.
I think for the deal I got it was worth it, but if I had paid full price, I would have been very disappointed.

Room Tip: No ice machine on 12!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katie154943
Exmore, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Fortunately our room was for only one night. It was barely large enough to accommodate the two of us and our large suitcases. Though the linens were clean and fresh the room was musty/dank. Off-setting some of this the hotel restaurant's food was very good and not nearly as pricey as many hotels. We recommend the west coast chowder. Service was good, too. The location near the waterfront is wonderful and we would recommend a walk there and through downtown. Overall, however, the room is not worth the premium price. Finally, if you are going on a cruise, make your own reservation. There is no hotel shuttle from the airport (taxi is $34 + tip) and the taxi ride to the pier is very short.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very small. Ask.
Victoria
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Front Desk: Valet was very friendly and helpful, check in was smooth and effortless.

Room, first impressions: It's getting tired but yes the carpet in the hallway looked like a vomit explosion and the room carpeting looks 30 years old. View from my room was of a bunch of other skyscrapers, perhaps because I booked with gov rate.

Bathroom: Very clean and updated, nice.
Bed: Very good.
Weird fact: No beer fridge! Strange! Although they had a bottle opener, which was appreciated. Had to cool the beers in the sink.

Location: As with most West Hastings hotels, location is darn near perfect, lots of restaurants and shops close by, easy access to major highways.

Another weirdness: This hotel is VERY TALL, as you can tell by the name, and it did have an appropriate number of elevators for such a size, but the weird thing was, they closed SUPER FAST! So fast that when I called an elevator down to the lobby to go up to my room, this older fellow took too long getting out and the doors shut in my face before I could fling myself in! You have to jump in quick. Nice though when your on a milk run up to the 20th floor with ten other people, the stops are nice and quick.

Value: It's worth it for 200 but not for the 4 I was originally going to pay until I got a gov rate.

Other ammenities: I was only here one night but did note an excellent lounge/sports bar and what looked to be a very good restaurant. There is also a gym, not sure what else. Very well appointed.

Room Tip: the higher the better, 20+ for view, and try to request facing the water.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mr_Jones2
Auckland NZ
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a corner room (719) which was large and had views between buildings to the water. We spoke to others staying there and they were all very happy with their rooms too. The bed was absolutely fabulous for comfort and super king. The hotel is very nicely decorated - not too old - nice restaurant and one of the best locations as just up from the Canada Centre on the Waterfront where everything happens from. No Free Wifi though.

Room Tip: Go for the corner room like we had 719. We found the hotel quiet and well soundproofed
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear you find the location of our hotel convenient for your visit. Many guests tell us how much they love being downtown close to restaurants, attractions and shopping, yet situated at beautiful Coal Harbour. Thank you for staying with us. Kind regards, Joann Pfeifer, General Manager, Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown