Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had a four night stay for a conference. First off the staff were the best. Everyone pleasant, helpful and approachable. Really speaks well of the management. Had access to the Concierge lounge which was spacious and had a nice breakfast selection. All in all a great stay and the location is great for either a convention or to explore the downtown area. It’s about two blocks to Canada Place for cruisers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was a disappointing experience. There are many good things about this hotel, but unfortunately there are also some bad points.

First, the good points. As others have said, it is centrally located and very convenient to the convention center, Canada Place, shopping, and Stanley Park. Getting to the hotel from the airport is a snap. The Canada Line is located right outside the doors of the airport and 20 minutes later you arrive at the Waterfront Station which is a 10 minute walk to the hotel ($6 cab ride if you prefer). There are six elevators and I never had to wait long. The food, both in the restaurant and room service, was excellent. Service was very nice. Housekeeping was timely and delivery of ice and chocolates at night was appreciated. I was pleased with the TV and the numerous HD channels provided (NFL Sunday).

Now the bad points. The room is very small. I was provided a room on the 26th floor, which is one of the concierge floors, but was disappointed in the size. The king size bed and desk pretty much take up the room, and putting two small arm chairs and a table makes it crowded - couldn't cross the room without moving something. Also, as others have noted, the air conditioning is ineffective and loud. Light sleepers may have a problem with the noise of the fan when it comes on. As a Platinum member, I don't get charged for the use of the internet, but every day you have to go through the same process to sign in. I'm sure this process is beneficial to the "bean counters", but terribly annoying to the customer - could be an easy fix. The bathroom was actually a decent size but with both a small shower and a bath tub, which may sound nice, but the shower was pretty small. I personally would prefer a larger shower and skip the tub, but that's just me.

All in all, it's a good hotel, and if the price is right, I'll consider staying here again, but only for short trips.

Room Tip: North side provides a view of the harbor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank 48traveler
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nothing different compared to other Marriotts around the country (which is a nice branded hotel to stay at, don't get me wrong). So, I mean in terms of service it gets probably a 3 stars...However like mentioned by previous reviewers, the location is great! If I were someone who does not like to try new things, I would definitely book here again during my next visit to Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a conference and got a reasonable conference rate (~ $220/night with taxes included). As others have mentioned, it was just a few minutes walk from the convention centre with many restaurants nearby.
While the desk staff was very pleasant, the bed was comfortable, and I was upgraded to a room on the top floor which was nice. Bathroom was roomy with both a standup shower as well as a tub. Exercise room was nice although it got very crowded by 630 AM (presumable due to east coast travellers not quite used to the time change). I don't think there was anything though that made the hotel stand out compared to other higher end business hotels. The carpet and couch had a bit of a gaudy look to it in my opinion (see pictures) but that isn't a dealbreaker.
Would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Spent the weekend here for my 6th wedding anniversary and was very pleased. I used Marriott Rewards points to book and noted the occasion and, I have to say, the hotel really came through. There was a a welcome from the GM waiting for us in our room with some extra goodies... if the GM reads this, please know how much we appreciated it. Thank you. Got the trip off to a great start.

The location was great. My wife and I tend to walk ourselves into the ground on trips anywhere, but even someone who doesn't walk so much would have an easy stroll to Gastown and Yaletown. If not, quick cab rides to each of those.

The room featured the usual Marriott amenities, so it was very comfortable, but the view from our room, with very nearly floor-to-ceiling glass was great. For people in their first time in the city, that was really nice. If only the weather had cooperated so we could have seen the mountaintops.

Still, I've stayed in more than a few Marriotts and definitely rate this one a cut above the others for location and service.

Room Tip: High floor. Maybe a room facing north.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spent a week in BC consisting of two separate stays at the Pinnacle. Location is great and was within walking distance to most things we did. The location off the waterfront and close Stanley Park was nice. Our first room was a suite on the fifth floor which was a nice upgrade. The suite had a separate bedroom and two terraces. There was not much privacy with the terraces due to the downtown location. It was also very noisy outside on the 5th floor (but fine inside). The terrace had lots of weeds, something I don't mind but if Marriott is reading it looks kind of bad. Our second room had a waterfront view, which was nice, but not something I would have paid extra for if I wasn't upgraded. Otherwise typical Marriott room, you know what you are going to get. The Concierge Lounge was on an upper floor and had great views. The breakfast and snacks were fine, good enough to get our day started. It was very crowded though and one day we had to wait for a seat.

Room Tip: Rooms X19-21 and x01-02 face the harbor will have the best views, I think.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I gave this Marriott a Very Good rating because of it's close proximity to the Convention Center. Otherwise, it's just slightly above Average.

The location is great for walking to a conference, to the waterfront, to shopping, and to restaurants. I did not take the Skytrain but I think it's close by as well.

There is a Starbucks directly across the street.

I'm a platinum Marriott person but my room was nothing special. It was actually small for Marriotts. It did have a desk and two chairs but everything was very close to the bed.
The bathroom has a tub and separate shower. A large person would have a hard time in the shower - it was very small.

Nice flat screen TV with lots of channels including many American stations.

Wireless internet was very good.

Gym is nice. Lots of cardio equipment and some free weights. Also a few weight machines. Most of the cardio equipment has a personal TV. There are two spin bikes and some weighted balls. There was also a pool.

I ate once in the hotel restaurant and it was good. Had the clam chowder and a caesar salad. Also had the ice cream for dessert but I was not impressed. Strawberry was okay. Chocolate tasted chalky.

I had access to the Concierge lounge and it was just okay. For breakfast they had scrambled eggs and some oatmeal plus fruit, muffins, toast, juice. Nice fruit.
At night they had some type of fried appetizer and some cheese, crackers, and vegetables. I've had much better spreads in the lounges.
They put out desserts at 7:30 pm but I didn't think they were that good.

Concierge was helpful on the weekend when I was looking for recommendations for walking, food, and shopping.

They did bring me a bottle of water and 2 mints each night which was very thoughtful.

Room Tip: Each floor is small so none of the rooms are far from the elevator. My room overlooked the main roa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business