“Just Bad luck”

Ranked #50 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Gilbert, Arizona
“Just Bad luck”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I booked this hotel directly for can$79/nt for a king bed. I noticed there is some kind of renovation going on on the 2nd floor. In the mid-nite of first night stay, the fire alarm went off, we came down to the lobby and found out second floor water pipe breakage triggered the alarm so there was no fire but plenty of water flooding the second floor. The next day the hotel offered free night, and I did receive a refund. This hotel is located in an older neighborhood in a mixed area that you will see residential, used car sales, supermarket and even a funeral home. The hotel is clean and staff were friendly. The bed was fairly comfortable. The breakfast is so-so but free. There are not too many places at that price would offer free wifi, breakfast and parking. I will still recommend this place and think they should get better once the renovation is done (right).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for being understanding in the events that occurred during your stay with us. It was an unfortunate event that occurred at a very unfortunate time for both guests and staff alike, many thanks have to go out to our guests as they were very accommodating during the incident. Our hallway make over is now complete on all floors featuring new carpeting, wall paper and an excellent series of scenic Vancouver photographs that accent the upgrades nicely. I hope that you and all our guests enjoy the .

Sincerely

Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
Kelowna BC, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2014

According my friends and family stayed at this hotel, they were very happy. Nice hotel and with a great location...We will recommend this hotel to all we know who need a place to stay for conveniency. Employees are very helpful and very friendly. Thanks for a very good service...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, we are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My family stayed at this hotel while my brother was in the hospital at VGH, and almost died. We ended up staying there for over a month, spending over $2000 in total. They made a mistake with our bill, overcharging us almost $200. It took me three phone calls, over 40 minutes each to get them to fix the problem. They were so Rude and condescending, the front desk person actually said to me "I think you are a family of SHYSTER's trying to get a free hotel room!!" , After we paid over $2000. We did not want a free hotel room, we wanted them to charge us what they said they were going to, and what we signed the bill and agreed to pay. Nobody signed the new bill, it was basically Fraud on the hotel's part. When I phoned them, I told them that my brother was in the hospital in Vancouver, and my 40 year old husband had died a week before, and he proceeded to yell at me, and be the rudest I have ever been treated in my life. NOT COOl. I will never stay there again. Should not be allowed to be a Best Western, as they normally have great service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jami E
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
I am very sorry that this issue had to come to this level and I would like to apologize for the language that may have been used in your conversations with our staff, I assure you that in no way does the hotel condone such use of language. However the hotel does support its staff, the person in question has been with our hotel for 7 years and it is out of character for a staff member whom receives excellent customer service reviews to behave in such a manner. Our staff did what we could to amend the situation for you only to be met with hostilities and accusations on your behalf. Considering the circumstances that you and your family were in we did everything possible to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible which included several extensions, extra rooms and room moves which appears to have added confusion to the billing situation. We pride ourselves on the level of service we provide however we also expect our staff to be treated in a respectful manner as well. Once again I would like to apologize for the unprofessional response of the staff member in question and I assure you the hotel will invest its time in assuring such an actions are avoided in the future. We have reviewed your bill several times and determined the hotel had not billed you any additional amount, however as a gesture of our kindness we have decided to refund you the additional days you have disputed.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is my favourite hotel to stay at anywhere! I personally love the location and find all of employees are amazing!! Nice, clean, rooms and a very good continental breakfast at a reasonable rate... what more could a person ask for.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of the hotel, and for being one of our most loyal guests over the years. It has been a pleasure having you as a guest of our hotel and we look forward to seeing you for again.

Canmore, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We began staying here because it's close to our daughter's apartment, but we continue because it meets all our needs and the staff is so pleasant. One weekend we were supposed to stay there Friday and Sunday night but spend Saturday in Powell River. My husband got so sick that he wasn't able to travel. The hotel was quite willing to let him stay in our room that extra unplanned night and were careful to check in on him from time to time. The location is so convenient, being close to the Skytrain - a 20 minute easy trip from the airport - and in the middle of one of the up-and-coming areas of Vancouver. The rooms are a little small and dark for my taste, but the price is right and the people are great.

Room Tip: If you don't mind traffic noise, the rooms facing the street are brighter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, it pleases me to hear that we have done all that we could to earn your loyalty and I hope that with some of the changes that are already under way and other improvements the hotel has in store that you will enjoy our hotel even more in the future.

Front Office Manager |
Washougal, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My Wife and I stayed after returning home from overseas, we felt welcomed from the onset. The hotel manager was working the front desk on our arrival, we were able to check-in early as our flight arrived ahead of schedule. We were given a room on the second floor, very clean and quiet. Following a nap we went dowsnstairs in search of dinner, again the hotel manager was very helpful. We came back with full stomachs and slept well in the nicely appointed room. We recomend this hotel to anyone traveling to Vancouver. The location is great, easy to access Skytrain and the bus. The staff is extremely helpful, that stood out to me the most. The cost of our stay was considerably less than if had chosen another property nearby. Please consider the Best Western Uptown for your stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

2 Thank Nelson L
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, I am especially happy to hear that you enjoyed the service that was provided by our staff as we take a great deal of pride in the level of service we provide. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Langley, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2014

About 5 mins from the Rio Theatre, if you're planning a late night, its very convenient. Breakfast is included, wifi, many rooms are updated (some not, but you can request one). Good value for the cost.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Eileen E
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Also all of our Queen and King Rooms have been upgraded.