“Comfortable, quiet and good value”

Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Victoria, BC
“Comfortable, quiet and good value”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Absolutely recommend this hotel if you’re looking for somewhere in the vicinity of Vancouver General Hospital. Our room was smaller than at some other Best Westerns we’ve stayed at but didn’t feel in any way cramped, and we had everything we needed – very comfortable bed and pillows, good wifi signal, microwave and fridge (both available on request) and free underground parking (for Vancouver, that’s a bit of a find). The rates are very reasonable, especially for somewhere so close to downtown.

I was a little worried that being on the ground floor, our room might be noisy, but we heard no sounds from inside or outside the hotel. The room had a double door off the corridor; the space between the outer and inner doors probably absorbed any sounds from guests using the corridor. And our window was actually well above street level, providing privacy and quiet. The ground-floor rooms overlook a back street that has virtually no traffic.

A continental breakfast is included. We try to eat gluten free, sometimes a challenge with hotel breakfasts, so we were pleased to find the selection included oatmeal, yogurt, egg patties/omelets, bananas and apples. Also discovered a gluten-free bakery called Mygoodness just a two-minute walk away at 235 East Broadway, and around the corner from it, the Wallflower Modern Diner at 2420 Main Street, which has gluten-free options. The Salt and Pepper Grill and Bar next door to the hotel serves tasty food and gives a 10% discount on presentation of your room key. And there are countless restaurants and coffee shops within easy walking distance.

The Kingsgate Mall is just across the street from the hotel. It has a supermarket, pharmacy and numerous other stores.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tripsterchick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Close enough to Vancouver General hopsital that we could walk there. Also right across from a little mall with a grocery store so location was great. Man at check in totally hates his job. We requested a fourth floor room, he wanted to put us on third floor. My husband said as long as it's quiet. He didn't respond, we found out after we got the key that he did put us on the fourth floor so I don't know what the problem was. We did have the smallest room on that floor because of the design of the hotel. We had to rearrange the furniture just to get by the bed. Parking is tight but secure. Breakfast room was also tight. If they took out a table, it would be better.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine, there are no doors on the room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I usually use Priceline to score 4 star hotels in Vancouver; and, during this time of the year, you can usually get a great deal.

I tried a couple times to score a room for the 70-80 dollar range with Priceline. Then I thought about it: Yes, the 4 star hotels generally have beautiful rooms. But they are downtown and I would have to pay for parking and internet. That would bump up my daily room price to 120 dollars a night (including the taxes and fees of PL). That's 30 dollars toward a good meal in Vancouver!

So, I decided to look elsewhere. This Best Western is in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood - filled with great restaurants and shops on Main, Broadway, and Kingsway. I am kind at the phase of my Vancouver traveling, that I'm not too interested in going downtown. From this hotel, you can walk Broadway and catch the 99 bus to Kits, or Granville or you can walk to the waterfront.

The best perk is that it comes with free parking. The first morning, I woke up, looked out my window, and saw a classic Vancouver smash and grab-broken car window. Their parking is very secure but small.

Free internet!

They also have a nice free continental breakfast - my only complaint is that the coffee in the room tasted better than the coffee they served. Luckily, there is a good coffee shop on Main street just one block away.

I would also suggest getting a room not on the first floor. We paid their rockbottom internet prices, so I wasn't surprised that we were on the first floor. It wasn't too bad until the Saturday night-hustle woke me up a couple of times. But, our room was clean, and that is the most important to me!

Room Tip: Try to get a room NOT on the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KimbertEyestain
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Got a standard room for 75 dollars per night. Thought that was a great deal. As others have mentioned, get a room facing the side street, and on the fourth floor with the high ceilings. Location was OK, but hotel was great!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Erathge
Hartlepool
Reviewed January 23, 2012

In my opinion the BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel is a hidden gem. A great hotel just outside the centre but bus stops right outside if you don't have a car but you can easilly walk into the centre between 25-35 mins depending how energetic you feel. Everyone who worked at the hotel was really nice from the front desk to the cleaners. The rooms are comfortable,clean and quiet. Yes sometimes the breakfast room is crowded but just take it to your room or sit in reception. Also some people say the car park is small but never had any bother getting parked but there are plenty of street parkingplaces available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank willchaffey
Prince George, BC, CANADA
Reviewed January 10, 2012

If for some reason you are needing to stay near the hospital, this is a good location. The room was very nice and comfortable. The breakfast was very good. Near lots of shopping. It's only a 5 min drive from the hospital. They give a very good rate as well if you are there because of treatments, check ups or whatever. Not far from the sky station

Room Tip: ask for room on the quiet side, sometimes it's good to get the top floor as well so you dont hea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank missingthebuffet
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am very glad we could make your stay in Vancouver as comfortable as possible. Considering the circumstances its always nice not having to worry about what your going to be walking into when you are coming to Vancouver for a medical trip. I am glad that you found our rooms to your liking and we hope that next time you stay with us you will get to enjoy some of the enhancements we have on the horizon.

Dave Stevens
Front Office Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before moving to downtown to start a Canadian Rockies tour. This hotel was really nice, the room was comfortable, clean and modern. I was on a 3 month trip so I knew what a good room was when I saw it.
The bathroom was also nice and so was breakfast. The location was good, I was in the area sightseeing and the places I were going to were right around this. It felt like a safe area, not that I was out too late as I was exhausted from flying in earlier that day. I even had a local woman point out places to visit as we were waiting for the lights to change right outside the hotel. So the people were also very nice here too. Vancouver was a lovely place and so pretty, thankfully so was the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Toni F

I am quite happy to hear that you had a great time in Vancouver and were able to experience some of the local hospitality that Vancouverites can be known for, and I am equally as happy that your enjoyed our hotel.

Dave Stevens