All reviewsdavie streetwasher dryergay districtfull kitchenstanley parkmoxies restaurantliving roomocean viewgranville islandwest enddrug storemin walklots of restaurantsenglish bay beachoutdoor poolhigh floorunderground parking
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My partner and I stayed in Penthouse #6 for 3 nights over the last weekend in November. It was, without a doubt, an amazing room with a spectacular view of English Bay and the North Shore. From the jacuzzi tub, to the ultra-comfy bed, neat shower and the spacious room with a small kitchenette....it was worth every penny and more.

Price-wise, for this wonderful room, this was much more affordable than any other penthouse suite in the city (trust me, I did my homework). The location could not have been better, as we walked all over the city, throughout Stanley Park and enjoyed all the wonderful coffee shops & cafes that Davie Street had to offer.

The hotel staff were super friendly, real people, with diverse personalities and backgrounds (a true reflection of Vancouver). Housekeeping did a wonderful job each morning - Zoe deserves kudos for keeping our room super clean and neat. The Australian man that checked us in was so nice and helpful. I hope he has a wonderful trip back home this month.

Being from Vancouver, this vacation at home was made extra special by our stay at the Sandman Suites. My boyfriend, from Arizona, was super impressed with the room and location. Without any hesitation, I would stay here again and again. Thank you Sandman Suites and staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rwongcga
Reviewed November 30, 2009

My fiancee and I decided to escape American Thanksgiving by spending it in Vancouver. I decided to stay at the Sandman Suites on Davie based on other reviews. The hotel lives up to the review.
Incredible staff, very friendly, respectful and eager to help. They're also very knowledgeable of the area. I asked the front desk for recommendation and he pointed me to Tojo restaurant (the best Omakase experience I ever tried)
Chris, front desk, was extremely helpful when there were some problems with my credit charges. kudos to him
Definitely would come back to this hotel if I came back to Vancouver again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank heou87
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed at the Sandman Suites for 3 nights in October. The entire experience at the hotel was a great one. The front desk check in was quick and easy with knowledgeable staff. (Though the decor in the lobby is quite strange, but it's personal taste.)
We got up to our room on the 18th floor and the view was amazing! We had the perfect view of the north shore mountains on one side and English Bay on the other (it made for a beautiful photograph).
The room was moderately spaced but was decorated beautifully and everything looked brand new. The bed was extremely comfortable, which is very important in what everyone looks for in a hotel!
The housekeeping service was excellent and fast and very accommodating with when to return to have the room made up.
The only complaint I have with this hotel was the bathroom was fairly tiny...it was clean and everything worked perfectly, just not so spacious.
The spa at the hotel was very nice. The staff were friendly and welcoming and put you at ease as soon as you walk in the door.
All in all, we had an excellent stay and would love to go back again for our next trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Have stayed at the Sandman on Davie 4 times in the last 3 years, my husband and I stay there everytime we go to Vancouver since we first found out about it. This past August we stayed there for our honeymoon, I called to book a couple months ahead and asked since it was our honeymoon if we could have a high floor with a good view. We booked an oceanview room and they assured me that we would have a great view on our honeymoon. Upon checking into the hotel when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised that they had actually upgraded us to a penthouse suite free of charge! They also gave us a gift certificate for the on-site spa. (Unfortunately we weren't able to stay long enough to use it with so much to do, hopefully it will work next time) We were really pleased with the room, the beautiful view, theJacuzzi and the staff as usual! Have seen some negative comments on the location but really the location is great, walking distance to english bay and pretty much anywhere else in downtown Vancouver, my husband and I love our stays at the Sandman on Davie, frequently walking to English bay and Robson Street, plus there are tons of great Restaurants and Sushi places right on Davie! We will definitely be back next year for our aniversary!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jasmine1202
Reviewed October 6, 2009

HOTEL:
Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while on a solo trip to Vancouver and was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews. Upon arrival there and checking it out, the fears were put to rest.I booked directly with the hotel website and was given a great rate as was considered a bit off season, but would have likely paid the regular rate anyway. Check in went smoothly and I was able to check in early as my flight arrived in Vancouver at 1pm and was at the hotel by 2pm. Front desk staff was helpful and informative, offering maps and suggestions of nearby restaurants if needed. Others have commented on the slow elevators-there are three-and all worked quickly and efficiently-never had to wait more that a couple of minutes at any time of the day. There is a Moxies and Spa on site, however, I chose to not to go to either.

ROOM:
I booked a Penthouse Studio, which is top (24th) floor. It had a great view, balcony overlooking the city and part of the ocean in the background. The suite had a jaccuzi tub in the main area along with the most comfortable queen sized pillow top bed, a full kitchen (sink, fridge, dishwasher, sink), and then bathroom with a jetted stand-alone shower. There were more than enough towels, bathrobes, and bath amenities. There was also a flat screen TV which you could view from either the bed, kitchen area, or while in the jaccuzi tub. The only thing that the other suites have that this studio doesn't was the washer/dryer, which wasn't a big issue for me but may be for some.

LOCATION:
The hotel itself is located in Davie Village on Davie Street, which, yes, is a predominately gay/lesbian area of Vancouver with several gay clubs and a few sex stores nearby, however, that being said, it also has numerous great restaurants, grocery stores, and is only about a 20 minute walk to areas like Robson Street or the city centre area one way and about a 30 minute walk to either Granville or Stanley Park the other directions.
It is about a $25 cab ride from the airport or you can now take the Sky Train directly from the airport to nearby Burrard or Granville Stations and then either walk or cab the rest of the way to be more cost effective.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel this hotel to anyone and it will likely be where I stay in future trips to Vancouver!
Of course I can't comment on any of the other rooms in the hotel, but as far as cleanliness and hospitality that I observed, I had no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo