All reviewsdavie streetwasher dryergay districtfull kitchenstanley parkmoxies restaurantliving roomocean viewgranville islandwest enddrug storemin walklots of restaurantsenglish bay beachoutdoor poolhigh floorunderground parking
Reviewed February 16, 2006

I really think the other reviews are being very unfair to this hotel. Sure, it's an old hotel that was recently renovated and it isn't a 4- or 5-star, but if you're looking for that go stay at the Westin Grand and pay $200+ a night.

The Sandman Suites on Davie is a steal when you book rooms on their web site (my most recent stay was < $100/night!) It's hard to find anything decent in downtown Vancouver at that price, let alone a suite in a newly renovated hotel. (And parking is 1/2 the price of other hotels, too!)

If you're price conscious, I highly recommend this hotel. If you're not price conscious, choose the Westin Grand or Sheraton Wall Centre.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank Tyler_R
Reviewed November 30, 2005

We stayed at the Sandman in early November, expecting a nice stay based on previous TripAdvisor reviews. I'm sorry to say we experienced quite the opposite. I was stunned to reread these reviews based on the same hotel. I used TripAdvisor all the time for hotel referrals, and I've never been as shocked as I was with the Sandman.

I have written a letter to Sandman requesting a refund on our room. Here are some of the excerpts from the letter:

Heating. Our suite was absolutely freezing. We turned the heat up as high as possible, and while the bedroom (where the heater was located) stayed warm, the rest of the unit remained ice cold. There was a small vent, approximately 6” x 6”, from that heater that was supposed to warm the rest of the accommodation (see attached picture). It did not. We called the manager who told us there was nothing she could do except send up a space heater. An hour later our space heater arrived, broken and delivering cold air. We let it run for 45 minutes, waiting for it to “heat up”; it never did. The hallway outside our room remained at least 10 degrees (F) warmer than our room. To make things even worse, the heater in the bedroom sounded like a jet engine taking off every time it turned on.

Bathtub. I ran the water in our bathtub, and dirty water came out. I wasn’t alarmed because soon after clear water appeared. I then turned off the water and ran it again to clean the dirt from the tub. However, then a MUCH larger amount of dirt came out of the faucet. It was absolutely disgusting. We continued to clean out the dirt and run the bath, and as we did, the faucet fixture fell apart. Big surprise.

General appearance of room, furniture and fixtures. The rest of room was in poor shape, as can be seen by the other pictures. The desk was completely discolored and the blinds didn’t even close properly, adding to the poor heating problem.

If you want a halfway decent hotel room, even for a night, I highly recommend you find somewhere else to stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed: November 2005
18  Thank HeatherSanDiego_CA
Management response:Responded December 18, 2005

Thank you for letting us know that your stay was less than satisfactory. All our guest comments (positive or negative) are important and assist us in making improvements or recgonizing the contributions made by our team members.

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties and discomfort you experienced. Clearly, the room assigned to you was not suitable for guest occupancy and should not have been available for that purpose. I have inspected the room you stayed in and we have repaired or replaced the items you have noted.

Your experience is not what we expect from ourselves and every effort will be made to ensure that such events do not reoccur.

I understand that we have been in contact with you directly and that satisfactory arrangments for compensation have been made.

Once again, thank you for advising us of your concerns and please accept our apologies. If you need further assistance, I can be contacted directly at sjohnson@sandman.ca.

Reviewed November 27, 2005

I've stayed at higher-rated hotels that did not offer as many amenities as the Sandman Suites on Davie. The view from the top floors is exceptional, the beds are more comfortable than most hotel fare. The kitchenettes are actually equipped with an adequate number of plates, silverware, bottle openers, etc.

If you're looking for a true Vancouver experience, this is the place to stay. Cab rides to Canada Place, Granville Island, Gastown, Chinatown, and the Edgewater Casino were never more than $9 CDN one-way. The amusement of people-watching here rivals even the best in North America or Europe. The bars and restaurants are reasonably priced, and Moxie's Grill has average to above-average fare, although their portions aren't quite "American-sized".

I only had two issues during my three-night stay. I did have problems contacting the staff at the front desk; after a dozen attempts over the span of an hour to ring them (and finding that the voicemail box was full), I finally grumbled my way downstairs to place my simple inquiry at the time. And as a previous reviewer had mentioned, you're not guaranteed to have the toilet secured to the ground, so squat lightly.

Despite two trivial issues, I plan on visiting this hotel again, and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a true "urban adventure" in comfort and style.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank Extraordinary33757
Reviewed November 15, 2005

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time. The staff on reception were always friendly and helpful (although I agree with one review that they could improve their knowledge of tourist activities in the Greater Vancouver area - but that's a minor point).

My room in the hotel was great (although I didn't get a room with a view - only the 5th floor). I loved the fact that it had a washing machine in it and the separate lounge and bedroom was also quite pleasant - made it feel a bit more like a home away from home than a normal hotel room. The bed was almost a little too big for the bedroom! There was heaps of storage space (if you needed it). The kitchen was equipped with a dishwasher and a microwave.

The free internet access is also great - there are only two terminals, but there was only one time when I wanted access and both terminals were occupied.

The location is great. As with a previous reviewer, I didn't really get the gay vibe, but the hotel is surrounded by really good restaurants (esp if you like Greek food) and if you don't want to go too far, there is a restaurant/bar attached (Moxies) which serves great food (I think Moxies does the room service food as well, but i'm not sure). There are some 'panhandlers' around, but no one was intimidating or threatening and I felt safe at all times(and I was a female travelling alone).

The hotel is only a short walk from the main shopping area, as well as Stanley Park. And if you want to take a bus, there is that option as well.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I went to Vancouver again.

4  Thank Namalee
Reviewed October 3, 2005

We stayed at the Sandman on Davie for 2 nights and it was our favorite hotel of the 2 we stayed at in Vancouver and 1 in Victoria. Vancouver hotels are relatively expensive for a U.S. traveler, and we found the Sandman a good value for being a suite in a happening part of town. You have great access from there to many cool tourist areas of the city. Didn't have much interaction with the hotel staff, so can't comment much on that (perhaps because everything was taken care of?). They did let us check in early and held our bags for a short time after we checked out. The Sandman is in the gay district and my traveling companion and I are not gay, but that part of the city hosts a lot of cool bars and coffee shops and has lower crime than other parts. We thought the styling of the rooms and lobby was really cool. Good views from the balcony. Moxies bar (connected to the lobby) was impressive. Even the bathrooms in there are great (flat screen TV's, fireplaces, plants, etc). The bar staff was above and beyond friendly. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to other mid to late 20-somethings.

• Stayed: September 2005