All reviewsdavie streetwasher dryergay districtfull kitchenstanley parkmoxies restaurantliving roomocean viewgranville islandwest enddrug storemin walklots of restaurantsenglish bay beachoutdoor poolhigh floorunderground parking
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We ended our honeymoon in the Sandman Suites in Vancouver. I was a bit apprehensive as to what to expect from this hotel as we had booked it at a very reasonable price on Hotwire. I can safely say I couldn't have been happier with the hotel. I went to reception to ask the check in staff about whale watching tours in Vancouver, but as they were busy at the time, the valet staff helped me. The valet staff member went out of his way to get all the information needed, costs, times etc and asked me to come back to him and let me know if we enjoyed ourselves so that he could infom other customers. The rooms were very clean and the spacious (the bathroom was perhaps on the small side) and had balconies (good for all the smokers). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2009

This is the third time over a two year period I have stayed at the Sandman on Davie, and I'll be back. It's a relatively new facility, with good pricing on suites. The standard suite I've booked are not luxury class, but because it is new and tastefully executed, it feels quite nice.

I hope that they will keep it up, but I'm not convinced that's the case. It feels a bit like it's nice because it's new, but the materials are sort of nicely designed economy class stuff - melamine cabinets that look like wood when new, but don't take dings well, that kind of thing.

TV has been a problem on all of my visits - the set in the room often has a loud static hum that the staff is unable to fix. This is so loud at times that it is unwatchable, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that has complained. Since this has been the case for a couple of years, it contributes to my sense that they built a good, inexpensive hotel but may not be committed to upkeep.

Go now, while you get a great value on a really nice suite (TV issues aside) before it starts to run down.

Oh, and avoid Moxie's Grill, the associated bar & restaurant, at all costs. Twenty dollars for a "double" martini that was not perceptibly bigger than the ten dollar single. Ouch! That's thirty bucks for about 2.5 oz. of Saphire, which got warm on the bar while our waitress hung out with customers at another table. I wish I could give Moxie's a negative star. (Nice bathrooms though!)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramatsu
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We had a good experience at the Sandman Suites, but only because they gave us a free upgrade. We had a terrible time getting to the hotel from the airport, with the commercial airport shuttle forgetting to drop us at the hotel and refusing to go back. We got the hotel finally, and they sent us up to our room, but the room was trashed. We didn't even walk in, just from opening the door, you could see that it was in disarray. We went back down to regitration, and they upgraded us to the penthouse suite. That was a very nice room - well decorated with good views and very clean. We later stayed in a regular room, and it was a little dingy and had a hole in the wall. My advice is that if you spring for the room upgrade, its worthwhile, otherwise, its what you'd expect from a budget hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SandmanSuitesOnDavie, Executive General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2009

Thank you for your response. I apologize in advance if there was any mix-up with your check-in.

I am happy to hear that because we did not meet our standards or your expectations the Guest Service Manager gave you a complimentary upgrade to our penthouse level.

Please note that our Hotel is only four years old and an All-Suite property. We have 198 modern One Bedroom Suites, all with private master bedrooms, living rooms, full functioning kitchens and balconies with spectacular panoramic views of the city and some with the ocean. All of our Suites are fabulous!

Please call me if you have any questions at 604-681-7263.

Yours in hospitality,

Susan Anderson
Executive General Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2009

After some earlier accomodation issues, I went back to stay at the Sandman.

What a great decision. I admit I was a bit concerned about some of the claims, but I found the hotel to be very clean and well kept in a great location in Vancouver.

I was upgraded when I arrived and had a room with an ocean view. The views were breath taking. Having a supermarket up the street and Shoppers Drug Mart across the street helped me keep my in room frig full!

Each and every member of the front desk staff went above and beyond to make sure I had a great stay.

Should anyone want a "suite like" hotel in Vancouver. Look no where else.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Stayed here for 10 days in mid/late October, had one of the smaller suites but the size was more than adequate - and the price was exceptional value. Facilities were great, as were the staff. We arrived well before check-in time, having had a morning flight from the UK, no problems checking in early. Location is excellent - know the area well having stayed at the Sheraton on previous visits, but it will be the Sandman on further visits. Does everything it says on the tin and more besides.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple