All reviews davie street washer dryer gay district full kitchen stanley park moxies restaurant living room ocean view granville island west end drug store min walk lots of restaurants english bay beach outdoor pool high floor underground parking
Reviewed September 29, 2008

First advice to you: never stay at the Sandman on Davie!

While in Vancouver on business I stayed at the Sandman on Davie in September 2008 and I ended up with over 50 bed bug bites on my face, neck, arms & legs.

The Sandman staff requested I see a doctor at the nearby walk-in clinic, and the doctor there confrimed to me that bed bugs are 'Vancouver's dirty secret', and that I take benadryl & apply creams to soothe the itchiness.

The Sandman staff gave me a change of room and assured me they would properly clean my clothes and provide me with a report of the bed bugs issue in the previous room.

The next day the Sandman staff returned to me my clothes in a bag. The clothes were not cleaned. In fact any clothes that were just recently dry cleaned and laundered were now in a pile at the bottom of a bag. I was not provided with a report.

I got out as quickly as I can (only after having to justify to one of the managers my break in the committed stay at the Sandman!!??)!

Try to imagine how embarrassing it is to have business conferences with red swollen bites that look like big mosquito bites all over your body!

I promised them that I would post negative comments about them on web sites, and advise my employers to break engagement with them. I'm the only one who is committed to my promises in the relationship with the Sandman hotel on Davie...

Last advice to you: never stay at the Sandman on Davie!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank NekkoOttawa
SandmanRichmond, Sandman Suites on Davie Executive General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2008

As shown to the guest, an outside company did inspect the said rooms and they did give a report confirming we have no bed bugs.

All readers please know we have a fabulous new hotel and it is very clean and without bugs.

If anyone has any questions or concerns please call me.

Kind regards,

Susan Anderson
Executive General Manager
Sandman Suites on Davie

Reviewed September 28, 2008

These suites were a low point in an otherwise great trip. The location is yards from the gay quarter with lots of bars and clubs, but also yards from the red light district - being propositioned on your way home from dinner is not fun.

The first room we were shown did not have functional heating. When the manager attempted to rectify this a large chunk of piping came away from the wall. We asked to be moved.

The second room stank of smoke. The hotel management assured us it was a non-smoking suite, but the stench suggested otherwise.

They showed us to a third suite which we accepted out of desperation. It had a toilet unit propped up by folded beeer mats which rocked every time it was used. The french windows did not fully close, leaving us with an icy draft and a lot of noise.

We complained and were offered a small discount of a breakfast in the restaurant. Insult added to injury - we sought breakfast elsewhere.

On departure we complained again and were told we could claim 15% of our next stay. It's an offer we wont be taking up, I was devastatingly disappointed that such a lovely city was ruined by a horrible hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fneepette

I do apologize if we did not meet and exceed your expectations when you visited beautiful Vancouver BC. Our goal is to impress our guests and encourage them to return to our hotel.

All people reviewing this review please peruse our hotel photos. As you will see we are a fabulous new hotel in a great location.

If you have any questions please call me.

Kind regards,

Susan Anderson
Executive General Manager
Sandman Suites on Davie

Reviewed September 23, 2008

This is my favourite of all the hotels i have stayed in in Vancouver. The staff were attentive and obliging, the Hotel Manager was very friendly and personable, offering advice and he even came to our suite to help us operate the washer/dryer.
The lobby is very warm and welcoming, and the Moxie's restaurant is worth a visit.
Our suite looked out over English Bay and the unobstructed view was amazing. The location is great too, Davie Village is always interesting, and it's a short walk to Robson St through the West End houses.
Also, if you like sushi, there are some excellent restaurants just across/down the street, as well as a Shopper's Drug Mart and an internet cafe.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Coopda
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Stayed three nights and overall found it a good place to stay in terms of location and suite facilities and was going to give 4 stars as staff helpful as well but... First room I was given was on 6th floor, on side with no water views and was noisy outside (traffic and some sort of extraction system from next building) and in (ice machine was just outside) and was non-smoking (I had booked smoking), though was told I could smoke on balcony. Complained about noisy ice machine and eventually moved to smoking room on 14th floor, with lovely ocean view and better arrangement of living room/kitchen facilities but right behind the lifts and they were a bit noisy in the night (though better than ice machine). Even on that floor the traffic noise was intrusive when balcony door was open. An odd thing was that the bedroom didn't have any curtains (only nets) - not a privacy issue on a high floor and luckily it didn't get light too early but the promised curtains never did materialise during my stay. I wasn't keen on Moxie's breakfast but as others have mentioned there are plenty of restaurants, supermarkets, fruit shops, bakers, etc very close by.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank KK06
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The location was excellent, it is right next to a busy fruit market and right across the street is a shoppers drug mart. A TON of restaurant within 5 minutes of walking, including an amazing Greek restaurant that you have to wait 45 minutes to get into.

The hotel itself was very good. Everything was fairly new and very clean. The suite I was in had hardwood floor and the appliances look new. They have a tiny washer/dryer in one that is convenient for those staying a bit longer. I stayed with my family so the suite made it feel more like home. The view from the 23rd floor was breathtaking.

If you are looking to take a "Big Bus" city tour, one of their stops is down the street. Also, all the main buses that bring you to touristy places go a long the street as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family