“Apartment living, great view great location”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #63 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed 2 nights with husband and our dog. Got upgrated to king corner suite.(corner suite has more windows) Nice little apt suite with kitchen. First impression thought I'd perfer more open concept, but after sleeping one night really liked seperate bedroom felt cozy and couldnt hear hallway noise in morning if u had the door closed. Heater in living room is loud but u can turn it off and on. The bedroom heater is quiet. Could hear elevator through bedroom wall but got used to it. Id advice if u need anything or dont like something just talk to front desk as they are very helpful. When we arrived didnt have duvet on bed just blanket and bedspread. Front desk called and asked how everything was and I told them I would like a duvet, 2 ladys came to remake bed with nice duvet :) Good location to walk around everything u need. Good also if u have dog... sunset beach (has dog area) 7 min walk; and nelson dog park 4 min walk. One thing I missed but not big deal was a dog goodie bag. Another hotel chain gives out these when u check in with a dog, its a nice added touch. Parking gate in parkade was broken and that was a concern for breakins. Enjoyed our stay overall and would stay again!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you very much for acknowledging the helpfulness of our staff. We have a great team at the Sandman Suites on Davie and several of our staff had been nominated for the Vancouver Tourism Awards in the past.

In regards to the parking gate to our underground parkade, you will be pleased to hear that the mechanism has already been repaired.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to welcome you back to the Sandman Suites on Davie again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I am not very fond of the Sandman chain but I have to say this hotel met and in fact beat my expectations. Check in was really friendly in a Uber Cool Lobby which was nice. I had a corner suite on the 23rd floor with a spectacular ocean view. My room was clean, well maintained with full kitchen and separate bedroom. The rooms were smaller but perfect size for a couple and each room has a balcony, washer dry, good coffee, great beds so I am not sure what else one needs. The rates were way less than the other main chain hotels downtown.

Yes the hotel is older so the bathrooms are small but shower was strong with lots of hot water, also the elevators are very slow with only 3 serving the floors but IMHO the good far out-ways any negative issues.

Lots of great food places, bars, shopping, etc. and just walk down the hill to English bay....I am coming back!

Room Tip: splurge on the ocean view corner suites with king beds
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Moduline
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on Jan 22nd & 23rd after staying at the Sandman Signature airport hotel. This hotel is not as nice as the Signature, it was disappointing. The suites are very small and need some updating. We decided on an 18th floor corner suite with a great view after looking at many rooms. We asked to be upgraded to a bigger room but were told none were available. We were lucky 13 guests and were not treated as well here as the Signature and only received our lucky 13 gift one of the two nights. The bed was comfortable and the room did have everything we needed including a washer/dryer. It was walking distance to lots of restaurants, shopping, Starbucks and the Liquor Store are very close. We enjoyed the Vancouver Boat Show and a Vancouver Canucks game while here. All the other Sandman's we have stayed at have a nice hairdryer in a bag under the counter but this hotel has one of those tiny wall mounted ones that take forever to dry long hair, ours only went to MED so it took even longer. Also the elevators are very slow.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Summerlovin2014
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay at the Sandman Signature Richmond, which is a more upscale brand within the Sandman hotel portfolio.

I am sorry if our team members did not explain appropriately, that with the exception of our Presidential Suite, all our suites are basically the same size between 400 and 412 sq ft. with minor differences in configuration. We greatly value our Lucky13 guests and hence you were offered the opportunity to view the available suites and choose the one that appeals to you.

The Lucky13 gift is given upon check-in, rather than per night of stay, and is observed at all Sandman properties. However, should you wish to receive an extra bottle of water, please let our guest services agents know and we would be more than happy to accommodate.

Thank you for supporting the Sandman Hotel Group. We hope we be welcoming you back to the Sandman Suites on Davie in the near future.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I spent one night here in mid December on my way through Vancouver. I had some business near by, so I chose this hotel because of location. There are a few things I like in a room. Clean, quiet, comfortable bed and a feeling of safety. This hotel provided me with all of that as well as good internet. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with my mundane questions about the city. I was feeling sick so I wanted to sit in the hot tub or sauna. They have a nice steam room, which was just what I needed. My only disappointment is I lost a ring while in Vancouver. Not sure if it was in the room or somewhere downtown. It was a silver ring with namaste written on the top covering half the ring. The ring is worth nothing really, except huge sentimental value to me. I told the front desk staff who passed me along to the housekeeping staff. I"m sure they would have contacted me had they found it.
I digress...back to my review....If I were staying in Vancouver for more than a day, I would rent a room here as I had a room with a fully equipped kitchen. I love making my own meals even when I travel, as I donʼt really enjoy eating out. I have eaten out far too much in my life, so my food is my fav..even when Iʼm traveling. I had the best sleep because of the comfy bed, pillows and nice duvet. It was divine! A good nightʼs sleep is GOLD when traveling! Thank you Sandman Suites!
Also the restaurant downstairs serves a wonderful Asian Chicken salad. Another bonus is a Starbucks just outside the door to the left as you leave the hotel.

Room Tip: I was near the elevator and I did not hear any noise at all. Handy if youʼre schlepping a heavy suit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Runningalong
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Having to go to St. Paul's quite a bit lately and I stay at the Sandman Suites on Davies St. There are so very polite and accommedating each and every visit. They give great hospital rates and are close to everything I like to do while in Vancouver. Highly recommend them!

Room Tip: Just inform the front desk what you want and you will receive it with no questions.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked this hotel for NYE as the location fit with our plans for the evening. The suite smelled strongly of stale cigarettes, the windows sweat and looked moldy, not very sound proof and the elevators were very slow. If that isn't an issue for you, great staff and great location. I would not chose to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Deceided to take advantage of a promo from Be Vancovuer...$75 Amex gift card for hotel reservation. Great low cost escape for the night. I am doing it again in 3 weeks. While the room was nice, kitchen area nice the bathroon was very very small and in bad need to be re caucked around the tub and shower area...room 1103. Overall the hotel was pretty good but could use some easy quick fixes to make it look as good as the rest of the hotel.

The check in agent was not the most helpful but did get the job done eventually. He never mentioned anything about putting the parking stubb on my dash, found it the next day after finding a 8.5x 11 sheet of paper asking to park within their rules. Why did you ask for licnece plate and make of my vehicle. You need a room key to access the area and you can block off access to the parkade if not paid for....bit confusing adn seeing as I work in the parking business I understand one thing and thats parking.

ANyways overall we had a good time, lots of places to eat around the hotel. .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple