“Stay Here”

Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver
“Stay Here”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is surprisingly nice. Each room has a nice little balcony so you can get some fresh air. The views are great from the upper floors. The location is fantastic, with excellent restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk, in a very colourful and fun neighborhood. If you spend a bit extra, you can book the 'penthouse jacuzzi suites' which are fantastic. Quite generous, full kitchen for much less than you would expect to pay. I stay here often and am never disappointed.

Room Tip: Book the penthouse suites if you don't mind spending a bit more, it's worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EconomyClassWarrior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
babievi
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Booked this hotel thru a third party site and was quite disappointed. If you wish to enjoy yourself in Vancouver, this may not be the hotel for you. The pictures on the site definitely did not serve justice; the room I got was smaller than shown in picture. With that being said, I worked with what was provided being that the room was prepaid.

The huge disappointment from this hotel is their heating system for guest rooms. The room that I checked into was COLD and shower was COLD. We contacted the receptionist and were offered with a room upgrade. At that point, all I care for is a nice warm shower and warm room. Again it was a disappointment, shower turned out fine but the room stayed cold no matter what you do to the heating system – definitely below room temperature. My friend who slept on the sofa bed in the living room had to wear his long-john when sleeping – sad.

During our last day there an uncontrollable event occurred, which the electricity on the whole block gave out. I am just surprised that there were no emergency backup lights at this Sandman location. In addition I called receptionist to see what are their protocols for guests who maybe stuck in the elevator. The response I got was shocking and it goes something like this “I believe when the electricity is out the elevator will bring our guests down to P1 – parking level 1”. My immediate thoughts was that how the heck does the elevator go down to P1 when the hotel doesn’t even have a backup generator to power the hall way lights – does the elevator free-fall to P1 … (the hotel has like 20 something floors)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sameer V, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Babievi

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I profusely apologize for the discomfort your experienced during your stay at the Sandman Suites on Davie.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback so I can better explain our backup generator power circulation system and our emergency protocols.

You can directly contact me at gm_davie@sandman.ca

Yours Sincerely,

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I do not have any major complaints about this hotel, except that it is a little old. The heating system can use some upgrade (it's either too hot or too cold). The decor and furniture are dated. The TVs can be upgraded to flat screen. I like the convenience of a kitchenette and the in-room washer dryer. The rooms were clean. The services were great. The location is super convenient. Everything are pretty at walking distances: the restaurants, the shops, the water taxis to Grandville island.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TheInterpreter
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Sandman Suites on Davie is in a good location to English Bay. Close to a lot of good restaurants short walk down to English Bay. The rooms are a bit tired and could use a lick of paint and new bedding, but they are clean. The staff were very friendly. If you can, ask for upper floor rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I decided to treat my boyfriend to a weekend downtown and decided to stay at the sandman hotel on the Davie for the great price and location.
Check in was a breeze, no problems there. We also had a car and self parked it down in their gated garage which was quite convenient because the elevtators from the garage went straight to our floor with key card access. Our room was on the 22nd floor looking over the ocean which had a breathtaking view. Our room was extremely clean and quite big with a kitchen and a balcony. We didn't have any challenges whatsoever with our stay, we were even impressed with our heater that looked quite new in our room and heated our room quite fast after my boyfriend was out on the balcony. The king size bed was great to sleep on and there were 2 tvs in our suite that was convenient cause my boyfriend was able to watch the game while I got ready in the bedroom. Check out was also effortless but definitely giving coodos for Justin one of the managers and for Miranda for being so friendly and giving us great suggestions on where to go the next day for lunch. All in all I would recommend this hotel to everyone, great place for long term travellers especially with the kitchen provided

Bothell, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked this hotel for a short stay. we are not very picky when it comes to hotels, mostly we just need a place to crash on the way to our adventures. we in no way expect or need to be "pampered" but we do expect to be treated like guests. hotel in a great location close to restaurants and parks, it was cleanish. i will say though it was FREEZING, the windows let in the cold and the heater took a good long while to get going. When we first checked in the staff was very friendly, even though they did charge us extra for parking, but the night crew had TERRIBLE customer service and even became rude. agian we don't need glitz and glam we just need to feel comfortable and cared for as guests. we've stayed in $15 a night hostels that had more creature comforts than this joint. I'd say all and all stay somewhere else....

6 Thank G P
Sameer V, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us was undesirable. I apologize for the service you received, and can assure you this does represent the level of service we aim to give our guests. I also apologize for the disappointment you felt toward our night staff and the room heater.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback so we can better improve our customer service. You can directly contact me at gm_davie@sandman.ca

I hope to welcome you back for another stay.

Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed January 24, 2013

i was accidently locked out of my room in the middle of the night. My boyfriend is an incredibly hard sleeper. I tried to call up to the room with no luck. I went to the customer service desk and explained to them what had happened. I also confirmed my name, date of birth, address phone number room number when i purchased the night stay, what credit card i purchased the room with, and what travel site i booked with. The night auditor informed me this was not enough, he said that because my boyfriend was fast asleep in the room they could not help me. I asked to speak to a manager and they informed me i could not.they instead made me sit in the lobby for hours until i could wake my boyfriend. When we went to check out my boyfriend very calmly questioned the way this situation was handled and again were given no kind of apology. I've never been treated so terribly, they treated me as if i was a piece of dirt that didnt matter. I've never been so humiliated and disappointed with a hotel experience in my life. We will absolutly never return we also both have large netwroks of friends and families who love to travel and we will let them know this is one company you should avoid at all costs.

6 Thank w s
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to apologize for not being granted access to your boyfriend’s hotel room for an unacceptably long time, and can certainly understand your disappointment and frustrations. Dues to the guest privacy act were unable to provide access to a guest room without having shared with names registered upon check in or by a confirmation by the guest any given time.

I am sorry for the troubles you encountered; our policies are in place to protect our guest staying in the hotel and their confidentiality.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back for a better stay. Please contact me directly at gm_daive@sandman.ca for a special discount on your next stay.