“Suites with everything”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #62 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A nice building at the west end of Vancouver and near the downtown.The suites are like studios even with a washing machine and a microwave oven.There is a nice restaurant called Moxie's near the reception.A little slow check-in but affordable prices.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were greeted by a very efficient and friendly person at reception and he allocated a room on the 20th floor which overlooked the ocean. The room was very well equipped and clean, but perhaps a little dated. The bed was very comfortable.

The only issue we had was that the room was next to the lift shaft and this was exceptionally noisy. As it was quite warm during our stay so we put the air conditioning on to try and drown out the sound of the lift going up and down. The air conditioning was also very noisy so it worked quite well.

The hotel was in a very good location, particularly to access what Davie Street has to offer and English Bay.

I would recommend this as a good place to stay, but make sure your room is far away from the lifts as possible or bring some ear plugs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the lift shaft
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank darwin1905
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in early July. Enjoyed having a suite to stretch out in with the kitchenette and balcony. Location was good being in the heart of Davie Village and a manageable walk to most landmarks in downtown. Room was a little dirty and could have used an update but overall was good value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I would like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced in regards to your room cleanliness. I can promise you that this does not represent the high level of service we work hard to provide our guests with.

I welcome the opportunity to contact you directly to see if we can offer further resolution and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2012

To rate Sandman Suites on Davie as Very Good is being overly generous. To rate the hotel as Average would be unfair. Very Good Minus or Average Plus probably best describes this moderately priced hotel.
My husband and I stayed for two nights. Our suite was more like an apartment. It had two old style TVs and a kitchen equipped with electric range, full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, electric kettle, coffee maker, washer/dryer combo and dishwasher. Furniture was a bit tired looking, but comfortable enough.
The washer/dryer proved to be a frustrating appliance. Following the brief and cryptic instructions provided, we were unable to get it to do what we wanted. When we programmed it for Dry Only, the machine immediately filled itself with water and started to wash! After several failed (and wet) attempts, we admitted defeat and simply hung our clothes out to dry.
Housekeeping standards were not fantastic. There were finger marks on doors. Floor tiles in the kitchen area were grimy. There was a small, though offputting stain on the bed cover. There was a larger, more offputting, crusty brown stain on the bed base. I prefer not to speculate on the origin of this stain, focusing instead on the spotless sheets and blankets, the comfy mattress and very comfortable, plump pillows.
For breakfast, my husband chose the hot food option. He reported it was just OK. My continental breakfast was a small offering, to say the least. We were charged extra for a serve of yoghurt.
The staff were pleasant and friendly but strangely ill informed. Their knowledge of the hotel and its surrounds ranged between vague and clueless.
Sandman Suites on Davie is in a convenient location. It is a reasonable option for a stay in Vancouver. With a few improvements, it could be a great option.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julietheoracle
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel May 30, 2012 until June 2, 2012...stayed in room 910. Great room, excellent value for the costs. I will stay here again when coming to Vancouver. Location was central to attractions, shopping, cruise terminal. I loved this neighbourhood, nice people, friendly shops, comfortable feeling. Got on the bus, had no change (they do not take bills) and the bus driver realized we were tourist and said not to worry about the buss fare, next time remeber to get change. We would have been kicked off in Toronto lol. The room was clean, comfortable, and had everything needed to cook meals. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom adequate. The only problem we had was the tv in the bedroom did not get good reception. They did come up and fix it though. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. For once I got exactly what they said I would get. The staff were terrific, from the front desk to the cleaning staff. The stay here set the tone of my 14 day cruise to Alaska, great way to start my trip. Thanks.

Room Tip: We had room 910, wasn't the greatest view, but also wasn't the worst I have had. Had a few b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sharron D
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for the outstanding feedback you provided regarding your stay. We are lucky to be located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, and are glad you had time to enjoy the amenities offered.

Your comments are much appreciated and I am sure your fellow Trip Advisor members will find them very helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back with a great smile

Sincerely

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed here for two visits of three nights at either end of an Alaskan cruise. The elevators are slow and we started timing our wait for an elevator from our floor - 15th - to the lobby. 7 minutes wait, on several occasions. One elevator seems to be permanently out of use and the other two are busy and slow.
The suites were adequate and clean, if a little tired in places. Staff polite but I did not find any of them particularly welcoming.
On returning to the hotel from our cruise we had a 6 hour wait for our suite.
Breakfast at Moxie's was penny pinching and it is the only restuarant we have ever encountered where a request for brown bread/toast was met with an additional charge.
We would not choose to return to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dunmag
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was so happy to receive a total escape package (massage and facial) with hydrotherapy tub as a gift. Unfortunately, the facility, service, and treatment all fell short of creating a satisfying and relaxing experience. The washrooms are outside of the main spa area. When the receptionist showed me to the changeroom she gave me a robe and keys (making my hands pretty full) but didn't open the door for me - leaving me to fumble in the hall trying to get the locked door to open. Once in my robe I was shown to the hydro tub room. The tub was nice but the shower in the room was broken so I had to walk back to the bathroom to shower. No hooks by the showers so it was awkward, especially with other ladies there, trying to get ready. The towels were on the other end of the washroom as well and I'd left mine in the tub room. So I put my robe on to get another towel. It made my robe very wet and I walked back to the spa lounge to await my treatment. I had made my appointment with a specific practioner who was recommended at the time of booking but was instead with a different person. The massage was not very good at all. She didn't seem very experienced or know how to drape the bedding. I had to ask for pillow adjustments. She didn't massage my hips at all because the draping was so poor - it was an area I'd said could use some attention. She didn't ask me what type of facial I wanted/needed nor did she examine my skin at all. What a disappointment!

• Stayed: June 2012