“Slightly tired but adequate kitchenette/hotel room joint, well located”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed December 11, 2011

As a European I can get confused by the use of terms like 'hotel suites'. This is a generic hotel with generic rooms that happen to have a small sitting room/kitchen. It is not luxurious but then neither is the price. Admittedly i had the cheapest room possible. Only one night stay, it was cold as i think the heating had broken, i wouldnt say my bed sheets were spotless either but no complaints otherwise - functional and does the job. Davie street is no cultural gem as some would have you believe - it is a thriving gay part of town which is fun, many average eateries, walkable to city centre and no frills.

its fine for the price

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I enjoy getting to this hotel. This past year I was fortunate enough to visit in March and August. When I called for reservations in August the hotel was nearly full. The young man at front desk took my reservation and then upgraded my room to a luxurious PH Suite.What a nice surprise. As usual the hotel staff exceeded my expectations to make my stay comfortable and pleasant. I love the location of this hotel. With in minutes I can be walking through Stanley Park or the Sea Wall...or convenient to a quick get away to Granville Island. I don't have to travel far to be at some of my most favourite restaurants. I would totally recommend this hotel if you are in Vancouver and want to be thrilled with excellent service and friendliness. Thanks again to the Duty Manager that upgraded my reservation....he went way beyond my expectations to make this one of my best memories of travel this year.

Room Tip: See if rooms with views of English Bay are available...its a real treat.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed November 14, 2011

What an understated gem.We loved this spot and returned to it on our second trip to Vancouver. The value is just great, and even through I really tried to find a hotel offering the same value around the city - I couldn't.
We had rooms on 18 floor and the views are just insane whether you are facing sunset or sunrise.
It is great to have the little kitchenette, and the drugstore across, bakery and fruit shop up the street have enough to get you more than set up for a tasty breakfast.
We did our own thing really, but any time we interacted with the staff we found them to be super friendly and helpful.
For us the location was great. We enjoyed being able to walk anywhere around the city centre. Only the odd time we needed to get a taxi, but that was usually after over-indulging at dinner or at the end of nice long days sight-seeing.
The rooms aren't giant, but the living area makes up for it. Anyway - who if you're on hols you'll be out and about loads.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up floor. The views are amazing and its usually better in a city. We had a larger ro...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights while we were in vancouver for Doctor's appointments. To help save money we wanted a hotel suite with a kitchen. The room was big. It had a separate bedroom, living room, bath, and full kitchen. The only thing which was disappointing was the pool was an outside pool and closed for the season. You have to park around the back of the hotel which was a little awkward to begin with. There are allot of eating options such as Denny's, Indian, Asian, pizza, and pasta areas. Starbucks and Blenz are near by and a supermarket. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Kinda located this hotel by accident when traveling by the seat of my pants once. The room rate was not cheap, but what they provide is an apartment, with bedroom, full kitchen and fridge, washer and dryer, living room, TV, and a private balcony. The room we had overlooked English Bay and the view was spectacular at night. The hotel's lobby is modern and luxurious and the service was above average. The room was very clean, nice comfy bed, well furnished.

The location, as can be said for all West End properties, is fantastic. There are loads of restaurants, shops, boutiques, grocery stores, and attractions within just a few minutes walk. I love the West End and try to explore different restaurants and things to do each time I go. If you can afford it, the Sandman Suites is a good choice. I don't know how the parking is as I took the train up from Seattle. Vancouver is a very walkable city and the public transport is great, so a car is not really needed.

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade and have a view, ask for a room looking out over the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We spent 5days at the sandman in a 1bdrm suite. We found it really comfortable, lots of space for the 2 of us. The kitchen was fully equipped which made it easy and affordable to holiday in Vancouver. The Suites are located in an area with heaps of choice of food, whether you want to cook or buy. There is even a Zagat rated greek restaurant basically next door, but we loved the Viet restaurant next to that. We found the staff really helpful, as we had heaps of questions for them. Natalie (not sure if that's right) was great, gave us lots of advice on getting around Vancouver. The only reason they didn't get the 5star rating was that when we had a shower, the bathroom would heat up like we were in a Sauna! We didn't use the washer/dryer, but it was handy having it there if needed too!!! We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kim A
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have just spent three weeks at the above hotel. This is the second time that we have stayed there. I wrote a review last year praising them them for the quality of the apartment and also the service that we received whilst there. Twelve months later this has not changed and we can thoroughly recommend it The reception is first class and they are extremely willing to answer all your questions and queries.It is a good base to start your sightseeing of Vancouver and is centrally placed to easily get to all the visitor attractions. There are a large number of shops of all kinds on Davie Street and it is ideal for public transport. Well done Sandman.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple