“Excellent, would recommend to anyone”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #62 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent, would recommend to anyone”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Great location on Davie amongst the cafes and restaurants, with no one looking in your window because it doesn't have any close tall buildings. Good sized suite with separate bedroom, bathroom, good kitchenette with dishwasher, washer-dryer. Free wifi is fast and consistent. Right in the heart of the gay area so the staff are gay or gay friendly, but you don't have to be gay to stay here of course!

The only negatives that I can think of are that the washer-dryer takes over half a day to do a single wash-dry load, and the bathroom is rather small so maybe not the best place to stay if you are obese. There is a nightclub along the road a bit, and we could hear the music in the distance in the early hours of the morning, but it wasn't loud enough to wake us up.

But really, this is a great place to stay and we will use Sandman again in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AUandUKcitizen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Prince Rupert, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2011

On the way to Mexico I stayed here, and was on the 12th floor, and it was nice, clean, and spacious with a cute kitchen with all the modern amenities. I was even able to throw in a load of shirts before my trip... in the room washer and dryer. It was a very comfortable space, and VERY clean. I was pleased. But the club life does come alive, so if you are on lower floors, and a light sleeper then maybe bring earplugs.. but truly it's not that bad. I AM a light sleeper and didn't wake, once I fell asleep. On my way back I stayed in the suite, and was this time on the 23 floor and it was alot quieter. And I really enjoyed myself, again, very clean and conveinent location. Tons of PRIDE businesses and clubs in the location. A place to truly be yourself, in all it's forms. smile. Again. did my shorts and last minute items from my Mexico trip in the room washer and dryer, and came home with NO laundry. Perfect. And reasonably priced, about 110 or so a night. Only crapper is, even though I PAID cash for my room, and they could OBVIOUSLY see i didn't have a party and break the place apart, they held my card to the balance of the room, for FOUR days, before releasing those funds. Something I find inconveinent, and unfair since THEY got there money. But all HOTELS do that. Something I don't know why... or how come, when it's paid for in cash... and no damage is DONE. But overall it is a good hotel. And i suppose they shouldn't be held accountable for something ALL hotels do. So if you need a hotel... go to them, and if your part of the 'pride' community, then they are a good choice, with friendly, open minded staff, that don't judge at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nadia K
Athens
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed at Sandman Suites in Davie Village for two nights!

The room was clean and well appointed and the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

The best thing about this hotel was its location! it was right the middle of Davie st, which was always full of activity, very safe(yes it's in the gay district, but it was a friendly and cosy atmosphere), walking distance to everything downtown the beach (English bay and Stanley Park) within 15 min walk, Yaletown(the historic part of the city within 15 min, just a 10 min walk to the ferry for the superb market at Granville Island, 20 mins walk from the famous Robson str and the 250 store mall and thePacific Centre.

The price was fair enough for such a hotel...as a drawback, one should consider the high costs for using the parking facilities.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jefito
Ilorin
Reviewed January 16, 2011

A suppossed refundable sum of USD306.12 was deducted from my Visa account since 1st November 2010. Despite several calls from Nigeria the money was not refunded. The manager has refused to answer my calls again. I sent email he did not reply. They are fraudulent. I stayed in room 1405 of sandman suites.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
We are sorry that this guest feels that we lied to him about the charges. This guest has stayed with us by booking thru a third party site. The credit card submitted to the hotel was only pre authorised but not charged. In view of the repeated calls and emails on this we have called and spoken to the company that our credit card transactions go thru and asked them to verfy that there has been no charge on the credit card and have also asked that they verify any pre authorisation limit held be released. There is no charge to the guest from the hotel and we do not have a way to further help this guest. Messages left had no call back number or email hence no one at the hotel could call the guest back on this.

Please call the hotel again and leave a message with phone number for any of our managers we will call you back.

sincerely

Cyrus Merchant

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Had a nice high floor suite with amazing views over Vancouver, everything was up to our expectations, had daily dinners at the downstairs restaurant (also when we where staying at another hotel previously).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LeoRaeves
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This review is long overdue. We chose Sandman on Davie for the location and price, and we were surprised beyond all expectations. The entire staff was very friendly and professional While checking in, a member of the staff showed us several rooms so we could pick the one we liked the best (must not have been full, but a very nice gesture!).

The hotel looks a little older on the outside, but our suite was a one-bedroom king bed facing the bay and mountains. There was a full kitchen (fridge, oven/range, microwave, large sink) and plenty of dishes. The entire suite was hardwood floors and the balcony was amazing. There were flat screen TVs in the living area and bedroom, as well as an office desk with Internet connection (wireless or LAN).

My partner and I got married in our suite and the commissioner actually said she would buy the suite if it was a condo. We walked to Stanley Park and rented bikes, got beers and appies along the way. There's also a liquor/beer store, grocery store, $1 store, and many convenience stores within easy walking distance. Also, a lot of restaurants and bars. We stayed 4 nights and were sad to leave.

The staff remembered my partner (husband now) and me and were very warm every time we met.

The view of the mountains, bay and cityscape, along with the staff and location, made this the perfect place to stay for our trip (and well within our budget) and we WILL stay here the next time we're in Vancouver!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scdupont1
Penticton, BC
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We booked 2 nights at the Sandman on Davie through our travel agent. She got us a great deal for the kitchenette suite. We stayed in room 809 which was a corner unit. 95% of our stay was positive.

The positive:
- CLOSE to everything you need! 24 hour Shoppers Drug Mart across the street, stores, pub, Starbucks and much more. Also close to Stanley Park and all other tourist attractions.
- BEAUTIFUL suite. 1 queen bed in a separate bedroom, nice kitchenette, washer/dryer, balcony which we couldn't stay off of... the view was superb! The suite was CLEAN and furniture was new.
- RECEPTION was very helpful! I called from the road (we traveled 5 hours to Vancouver) and asked if our room was ready at 12. She said yes, come whenever you like. So we did. We checked in around 1:30. Quick and easy check in. Very helpful.

NEGATIVES:
- The hot water was non-existent. I complained at the front desk and they said they would let their maintenance people know. We had to run the water for 15 minutes in the shower to get a warm shower. The sink in the kitchen rarely got luke warm and the sink in the bathroom didn't even get warm once. We tried several times a day.
- It can be noisy. If you stand on the balcony, you can hear roof-top furnaces running VERY noisly... but there is tons of hussle and bussle. If you want extreme quiet, don't stay here. You couldn't hear from inside the rooms.
- Ice Machine on our floor was VERY loud. TV was distorted (they need to upgrade them), no dish soap in the kitchen... only dishwasher detergent.
- I was charged for an extra movie. BE CAREFUL! The remotes are tricky! We accidently "purchased" an extra movie. When I brought this up an checkout, the front desk clerk gladly removed 1 day of parking instead which was a better deal.

This is a GREAT choice if you have kids and need an affordable central location. It was perfect because we ate meals in the hotel room instead of spending the money in restaurants and saved our money for attractions and souvenirs.

If you are considering this hotel and need questions answered, please let me know.

We will definitely stay again!
Thank you Sandman on Davie for the excellent customer service!

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family