“SO much better than any hotel”

Greystone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
North Battleford, Canada
“SO much better than any hotel”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband & I stayed at the Greystone B&B from November 11-14, 2011.
ARRIVAL: Not only did they accommodate our very late arrival (12:30AM) but there were fruit & cookies in the room when we got there. After a taxi ride from the airport ($27.00) we were greeted by Graham & shown to our room with no hassle no fuss - just welcoming & easy. Just what weary travellers want?
BREAKFAST: Fantastic hardly covers it. Graham had asked us the night before when we wanted breakfast & when we sat got to the table there was a selection of fresh fruit & berries, yoghurt & cereals along with juices, coffee & tea. After we settled in with that each morning, there was a hot entrée. On the 3 mornings we were there, we had blueberry pancakes, egg frittata & whole-wheat pancakes, with sausage/bacon & fruit decorations. Extremely good.
ACCOMMODATIONS: The pictures do not do the house justice. It is a beautiful old character home amongst several other character homes on tree lined streets. Just walking around the neighbourhood is a treat. Lush gardens & trees with beautiful architecture everywhere. Being from a very quiet rural area, my husband & I were impressed with how quiet it was. You would never know that you were in a large bustling city like Vancouver. The bedroom that we had was very tastefully furnished in a quaint teddy bear them (though not ridiculously so) with a small ensuite bathroom & a deck that lead to the back gardens. As we were there in the rainy season many of the plants were dormant, but the lushness & greenery were so wonderful. The little deck outside the patio doors was so inviting, even upon our arrival after midnight I still sat out there for a few minutes enjoying the peacefulness. I can only imagine what it would be like in the "non-rainy" season. The only SLIGHT issue we had was that the mattress was soft so you tended to slide to the middle! Though this is so minor, I feel foolish even mentioning it!
The breakfasts were served in the dining room on china & with silver bowls & pitchers. Not only did this feel decadent, but the attention to detail, all the whilst keeping within the character of the house & furnishings, shows an attention to detail that in bar none.
We did not partake in the "happy hour" wine & cheese as we were out touring so I cannot make comment on that.
The location was perfect for its beauty, as for proximity to amenities, as we had relatives pick us up & transport us everywhere, again I cannot make comment on that.
IN CLOSING: My husband & I are relative newcomers to the B&B experience, but are certainly sold on it now. You pay much the same as a hotel, but you get a fantastic breakfast on top of that so economically they make sense. Also, the home atmosphere of your rooms makes it more comfortable than a hotel.
We were worried about privacy though, do you really want to have to sit in a stranger's house & make awkward conversation when you are on holidays? That was a question we ( & I think most others) ask. The B&B proprietors very much take their cue from you, if you want to be chatty they will chat, if you don't, they leave you alone. And your room is very much your own, so privacy proves to not be an issue at all.
The "around the table" breakfasts though are wonderful; we met a couple from Australia & another from the USA & had wonderful conversations all 3 mornings, sharing experiences, etc. That is not something you get going down the hotel restaurant.
All in all, we highly recommend the B&B experience & in Vancouver, this will be the ONLY place we stay in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hamilton
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Graham and Lee are delightful hosts! You will immediately feel at home in their comfortable surroundings.A fabulous location in a beautiful neighbourhood. So accessible to many downtown Vancouver sights. Breakfast is delicious and aesthetically inspiring, and a wonderful way to start your day. You will surely find entertaining conversation with hosts and your fellow guests!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RoxyHamilton
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My wife and I recently spent a week at Greystone while visiting her family in Vancouver. It was our second stay with Graham in his lovely house. Besides having very comfortable and charming accommodations including lavish breakfasts, we very much enjoyed morning conversations with an interesting assortment of other guests and our hosts. All in all, a very friendly and comfortable home away from home. I highly recommend.
David Morgan
Encinitas, CA

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank David M
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Coming back to Greystone'Rose garden suite' felt just like coming home indeed! Wonderful location, great spacious suite, delicious and beautiful full breakfasts, guaranteed to start your day with a smile! We particularly enjoy 'Happy hour' with a very relaxed Graham and Lee, providing yummy home made wine. The house and surroundings are beautiful and peaceful and the hosts are terrific.
Thanks for the happy memories,
Martine A

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I regularly travel to Vancouver for work. I am there about once a month. About 3 years ago I started to regularly stay at the Greystone. The place is consistently wonderful. The rooms are attractive and very comfortable. The location is terrific. The house is on a quiet, tree lined street but minutes from main avenues and not far from downtown or the University. Breakfast is always an event. But the thing that has kept me going back are the owners. Lee and Graham are gracious, helpful, and warm. I have watched them turn guest after guest into family. It is a very special place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Greystone B&B for 5 nights and loved every moment of it. Graham and Lee are excellent hosts and have probably been the friendliest we've met out of the many bed and breakfasts at which we've stayed. Their beautiful house and gardens were clean and well kept and the surrounding neighborhood was amazing. The neighborhood is quiet and safe and we were able to walk to local bars and restaurants every night without any worries. Granville Island, downtown and many other great things to see are also within walking distance. We had a wonderful time and are already planning our return trip.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We had an amazing stay at Greystone B & B. Graham and his wife Lee are very gracious hosts. Graham prepares the most wonderful breakfasts which always have a humorous touch to them. ie: fruit cut and placed on your plate in a smily or flower shape.

The B & B is beautifully maintained. It has a gorgeous front and back garden.

Graham was excellent in sensing what our touring needs were and suggested just the right excursions for us. He also knows all of the bus and skyline routes so we were easily able to get around the city by public transportation which is a 5 minute walk from his B & B.

If I go to Vancouver again and need a place to stay, I would choose Greystone B & B without any hesitation.

Judy and Andrea