“Not fancy but excellent”

Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not fancy but excellent”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This may be the best Residence Inn we've stayed in, at least in comparison to US versions (it's also more expensive than most, but that's Vancouver). Rooms were excellent, with full kitchens, and the assistance provided by the desk staff was consistently excellent. Breakfasts were full and varied, although, as is often the case with Marriott breakfasts, you could never predict whether the oatmeal would be runny or the bacon fully cooked. The staff who worked the food area, however, were excellent. The location is a distance from the commercial downtown but close to to the West End and Yaletown, and a short walk to the acquabus to the Public Market on Granville Island. Overall, we preferred the greater informality of this Marriott to the fancier ones in the heart of downtown and will stay here again on our next trip to Vancouver.

6 Thank Steven S
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Steven,

We love being the best Residence Inn you've ever stayed in! Thank you for recognizing our breakfast gatehouse team - and for your feedback on breakfast. We hope to see you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Kind Regards, Suzanne Allemeier, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have been very fortunate to travel extensively over the last 39 years both for business and pleasure. I had the privilege to enjoy hospitality of some of the finest and exclusive hotels in the World, including the Canadian Pacific Hotels: Chateu Frontenac, Banf Springs Hotel, Jasper Park Lodge (the ultimate Log Cabin experience in Canada). I also repeatedly stayed in Marriott Hotels in Montreal, Toronto, Hong Kong, Paris, New York City, San Francisco and others too many to mention here. On my previous visits to Vancouver I was a guest at the Pan Pacific Hotel and Fairmont Downtown. Earlier this year we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai and 5-star Hilton in Beijing, China.

I chose this lengthy introduction to put my review of the Residence Inn by Marriott Vancouver Downtown in proper perspective. I was a guest in many Residence Inn properties all over United States, but this Vancouver Inn is in a class by itself. The very spacious suite, fine furnishings, incredibly comfortable King Size bed with superior linens, plentiful plush towels, comfy robes, fully stocked deluxe kitchen, refrigerator and microwave oven, 46" flat screen TV, panoramic wall to wall & floor to ceiling window - all this for a price of an ordinary room in other fine Downtown hotels. The modern spacious bathroom deserves a special mention.

The fine experience in Residence Inn by Marriott Vancouver Downtown begins with friendly, attractive, solicitous, very professional Reception Staff. We were greeted by Eri who thoroughly explained how to park our car, get the elevator from the garage directly to our floor, the complimentary breakfast, gym and pool hours and location, Over our five day stay we experienced unfailingly superior service from Eri's collegues at Front Desk: Mike and Bruno. All three of these fine people did everything to insure a most satisfying stay and even anticipated many of our needs. By the way, the pool, hot whirpool and gym are state of the art and sparkling clean as every other space in this wonderful Inn.

In summary, Residence Inn by Marriott Vancouver Downtown is the best and only hotel I will book for my future visits and will highly recommend to friends and coworkers. The breakfast buffet served in several spacious rooms is very good, The dining rooms staff is again very attentive, friendly and efficient. This Inn even offers a food shoppping service: just fill out the provided form for juice, milk, fruits, bread, cold cuts, etc, and they will buy your groceries at the nearby supermarket and add the cost to your bill. Havng the kitchen with a refrigerator and microvawe oven allows guests bring they "doggy bags" from restaurant meals.

Finally the large yet cozy lobby offers two large screen TVs, two long coffee tables each surronded by a couch long enough to sit six people comfortably and three armchairs. There are also three complimentary computers

Room Tip: I relied on Front Desk staff (Eri) to recommend the best suite to fill our needs, e.g. close to elev...
Green Features: Superior. Up to the highest standards available today.
1 Thank MichaelStrohbach
Dear Michael,

This is the kind of guest experience we live for! Thank you for the amazing detail. Our hotel team is extremely engaged in providing the best possible service and watches the reviews we get on TripAdvisor avidly, and this one will be their proudest moment yet.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

My 5 year old little girl amd I had a perfect weekend at this beautiful, funky hotel. Everything was excellent from the friendly and prompt check in, to the tasty and plentiful breakfast, and of course the refreshing pool. It's so centrally located that you can walk everywhere! I can't wait for the next weekend visit!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank heather f
Dear Heather,

I love hearing stories like this. I grew up in hotels and as a child always loved their magic myself.

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Found this hotel because they have 5 Green Keys. It is AMAZING! Mike at the front desk was lovely, the room was impeccably clean and we loved the little kitchen. The breakfast was perfectly cooked and eating outside on the terrace was the perfect start to our day. We left feeling relaxed and recharged. I especially liked the Green Key signage and environmental awards sitting right in view as people check in, and appreciated the environmental efforts of the hotel including well placed and well marked recycling stations everywhere.

Green Features: I especially liked the Green Key signage and environmental awards sitting right in view as people check in, and appreciated the environmental efforts of the hotel including well placed and well marked recycling stations everywhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks, Christine, for the great review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I love that you enjoyed your breakfast on the patio, and thank you for recognizing our Environmental Program. We've just added an Electric Car charging station in the parkade, too!

New York
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were fortunate to have a full balcony view with table and chairs overlooking the city and mountains. Wow! The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly, each and every one of them. The parking is really easy, and much less expensive than everywhere else. The place was very quiet, almost no noise to speak of. The maids were even kind and considerate. The room was pretty much spotless and the bathroom was huge. You don't normally see such high quality rooms in the chain hotels.

Room Tip: Balcony views are great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear SailorBoy55,

Thank you for recognizing the great service our team provides - we know its the difference between a good and a great hotel experience! Hope to see you on your next visit to Vancouver.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn a couple of weeks ago for three nights. We traveled with our infant son and dog. While I can confirm all the positive reviews (clean/remodeled rooms, kitchen area, nice decor, free breakfast, convenient location), it was missing something... I know, how about good old customer service?! While I can appreciate it was a dog friendly and understood why we paid an additional $75 fee for cleaning, I wish they would have given my dog a treat, provided a water bowl, etc. I'm not sure why management can't buy doggie treats in bulk for $30 and hand out a treat for four legged guests. I also wished they provided some sort of booklet of things to do around the area. On the day we checked out we found a playground attached to a dog park a block and a half away from the hotel. I wish we would have been told about that or that they could have placed a binder in the room for places of interest. These little things go a long way. The nightly rate wasn't cheap so I expect a little more in terms of customer service. Prior to our stay in Vancouver, we stayed at a Kimpton hotel in Portland with comparable nightly rates and superior customer service.

We've traveled to Vancouver numerous times and stayed at other hotels. I really liked our renovated room and the fact that it had a mini kitchen with brand new appliances, however I thought it was overpriced and can use some customer service to make us feel a bit more welcome. I would consider staying again if we found a good deal on the nightly rate.

P.S. Parking rate was really reasonable ($19/night) however there was a $3.99 parking tax fee so we paid about $24/night for parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank seattle2sf
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and location, but am sorry to hear you were disappointed in our information and guest services. We do offer maps at the front desk and our associates are all "local experts". We have individualized recommendation cards from each associate (including me!) on our favourite local sights and eateries. We also have a local information channel in the rooms (we try to minimize paper/booklets etc, as part of our environmental policy). Thank you for your suggestion on services for pets - we will create a recommendation card for our four legged guests in light of that.

York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrived early (10:30 am) on July 21st and our room was ready and check-in was fast! We had a room on the 14th floor in the back of the hotel overlooking the city. It was very spacious with a king size bed small kitchenette complete with a good sized refrigerator, microwave,coffee maker, hot water maker for tea, plenty of pots/pans dishes etc. if you wanted to cook a meal. There was a large desk and a very nice bathroom with shelves above the toilet to put your personal items along with drawers under the vanity. The shower was great!

The buffet breakfast was wonderful! There were always some kind of eggs, potatoes and either sausage or bacon and usually pancakes or french toast. There is a "make your own" waffle station complete with strawberry or caramel sauce (whipped cream), oatmeal, cereals, yogurt, fruit, breads, croissants. I especially loved the chocolate croissants! And, juice, coffee and tea are provided. Coffee and tea are always available to guests the entire day (and hot chocolate).

If you walk out the door and turn left on Hornby Street and walk to the end, you can get the Aquabus (for a fee - $9? round trip) to Grandville Island where there is a wonderful market and nice shops.

Vancouver is a very walkable city and we walked everywhere and saw every part of the city. We did drive to Stanley Park on the last day since we were leaving to go to Whistler.

We highly recommend this hotel!! You won't be disappointed!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful description of our suites, breakfast and location. So glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Vancouver.