“Very few negative things to say”

YWCA Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, BC
“Very few negative things to say”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I stayed there for 3 days when I arrived in Vancouver, before finding an apartement.
It was very safe so I could leave all my stuff in my room while visiting accomodations all day long.

The hotel is well situated as you can walk in Downtown Vancouver and there are two Skytrain stations close by : the Stadium-Chinatown station on Expo and Millenium lines, and the Yaletown station on Canada line (the one that links Downtown Vancouver to the airport).

I had already been in a hotel with a shared bathroom, so it didn't bother me. There were two bathrooms on my floor, one with shower only and the other one with shower, washbasin and toilets. I never found any of these unavailable in 3 days. However, I couldn't figure out how to get hot water in the showers (but then it's my fault if I didn't ask).

Rooms are clean and there was a washbasin in mine.

The staff is very nice and helpful. You can ask them anything about visiting Vancouver or living in Canada, they'll answer eagerly even if it has nothing to do with your stay at the hotel itself.

There's a locked storage room if you need to leave heavy things for a few hours after check out.

Finally, I thought wireless internet was included in the price of the room, but actually it's 6 CAD a day (24 hours from the time you buy it).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mmmarrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The place is clean. The bathrooms, toilets and kitchens are very clean and cleaned on a daily basis. The staff were always warm and welcoming and have alot of information on hand. Coffee is always available although there are not much breakfast choices from the cafe. The location starts on the main drag, Robson St. It was a clean and safe area and also close to the GM Place. This is THE ONLY place to stay if you are on a budget but want a clean room and safe location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank deezerness
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Every year my dragon boat paddling club uses this hotel to stay at for the RioTintoAlcan Dragon Boat Festival. The hotel is great for large groups, especially teenagers.

Stayed June 2009
Adelaide
Reviewed March 9, 2010

The YWCA Hotel in Vancouver was our first stop after flying in from Australia. We hadn't slept for over a day, but managed to easily get to the hotel from the airport on the new Canada Line and the reliable SkyTrain - which has a stop a short walk from the hotel.
We were on a budget, and happily used the Internet facilities at the public library a few blocks north on Robson. The IGA Supermarket also helped us keep the finances under control. (But, there are so many good eating experiences nearby - Nuba on Hastings is a MUST!)
We had a few nights out, and we were happy with the after-hours hotel security. The hotel is not in a bad location, but Vancouver does have a big homeless population. We were let back in the hotel quickly by the helpful staff.
Quiet and clean rooms, central location, and cheap! If I ever end up in Vancouver again, I know where I'll go.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
vic, australia
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel september 09.I was pleasently surprised,very clean, no noise,great hot showers.Security was excelent.About 4 blocks walk from the train station.I felt very safe and there is a coffee shop at the front door,priced around $90 australian it was great value.I would stay there again, no worries

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I absolutely loved this hotel and would not stay anywhere else when next in Vancouver. I was in the city last month for the Olympics and my 8 nights at the Y were heavenly. My room had a double bed with private bath. The room may have been on the smallish side, but the way it was laid out made it feel larger than it was. The Y just did not have a hotel feel to it--I felt like I was at home.

The hotel is superbly run--it's squeaky clean and the staff could not be better or more welcoming. Barb, the manager, is simple amazing and the rest of the staff, from the front desk to the housekeepers, is also fantastic and caring. The coffee bar right off the lobby was most convenient and the location of the hotel (directly across the street from BC Place) could not be better.

On my last day there, I was worried about my flight home getting cancelled due to a snowstorm in New York City, so I booked a single room with hall bath for one night. I have to say, though I much prefer a private bath, this room was quite nice. It was their smallest type of room, but again, there was something about the layout, that made it seem larger than it actually was.

I could go on forever about how great the Y is, but ehe bottom line here is that Vancouver is a wonderful city so why not complement the city by staying in a wonderful hotel (at a price that can't be beat!)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank nycbee
Grand Forks, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stay in this hotel atleast once a year for conferences and have also stayed here for concerts, theatre and other performances, plus vacations. It's conveniently located in downtown across from BC Place, within walking distance of GM Place, Vancouver Public Library and Queen Elizabeth Theatre. There are restaurants and small grocery stores nearby. The only drawback, is it's a bit noisy & busy on the streets after a concert or game, but it subsides usually by 11pm or so and isn't an everyday occurance. This is to be expected for a large city. Private rooms for solo travellers or rooms for sports teams, family, groups, very affordable, clean and safe.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business