“Excellent value”

YWCA Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed September 1, 2009

we only stayed one night, but wished I had booked for longer. Very clean rooms and well equipped for budget accomodation. If you are thinking of getting a private room in a hostel, this is the best option. We had stayed previously in HI Vancouver Downtown, and this was a much nicer room. We were really high up and got great views of the city, plus hotel extras like towels, bathroom, and tv.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 26, 2009

When returning to the hotel in the evening, as soon as my friends and I walked into the lobby the front desk lady rudely yelled out at us asking if we were checking in. She then also bluntly asked what room we were staying in and then proceeded to ask us if we were all staying in the room together. It was just my friend and I staying in the hotel room and the other friend who was with us was just grabbing some items from us that were in the room. The front desk clerk very rudley asked us if my friend was also staying with us. When my friend replied that she was not staying in the hotel room the front desk clerk asked how long she was planning on staying up in the room for and that if it was for very long then she was going to charge her for it. My friend told the front desk clerk very calmy that she did not intend on staying for very long. The front desk lady then yelled out very impoilitely to "give me your i.d". There were no manners used, no courteousy. It was the most awful customer service I had ever seen. My friend then gave the lady her driver's liscence and as we were waiting for the elevator to reach the lobby, my friend made us laugh (may I point out that it was not loud whatsoever) and the front desk clerk once again barked at us that they have a NO NOISE policy. My friend and I turned towards the front desk clerk and told her that we had no intention on causing any problems at all, we just wanted to go to our room for the night. Her last comment to us was that she could "call the cops on us!" The hotel still has my friend's i.d, they never gave it back to her.
This was by far the most disgusting service I have ever experienced at a hotel. I would never expect anyone to speak to me the way that the front desk clerk did that night, especially not someone who works in a customer service industry. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would highly discourage people from using the YWCA of Vancouver.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank VancouverLife
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for one night before our road trip to the Rockies. This place was excellent value, clean and with friendly and helpful staff. For the price, the rooms were fine, with lots of space. The bathroom on our floor was nice and clean and never busy.

This place is in a good location and close to everything. For the one fantastic summer day we had in Vancouver we walked from the hotel through the city and down to Stanley Park, exploring everyhting on offer. This day was one of the highlights of our trip.

The hotel reception staff are very helpful and there's lots of information available. There's two computers as well with internet access (you have to pay) although they can get a little busy. In the hotel is a small coffee shop and next door is a pub where you can get a drink and where we had a nice lunch.

And also, Vancouver is a fantastic city so get out there and see it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This place was perfect for us. Yes, not luxurious by any means, but for the price and the location I don't think anyone could argue with it.

We had a room with a shared bathroom, which was a little odd, and if I went again I'd probably spend the extra and get the ensuite. I found it a little frustrating sometimes when the room next door decided to shower at 5 am - it was a noisy shower and inevitably woke us up.

The cafe downstairs had nice coffee and muffins etc, which was a nice and cheap way to start the morning. I walk a lot so found most places easily accessible on foot, although less energetic folk may prefer to use the buses/taxis were are both very reasonably priced and efficient.

The front desk staff were wonderful and couldn't have been more helpful - especially when the padlock on our case broke and they helped us to remove it!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twinkly
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Vancouver is faubulous! I was considering moving there, but didn't. The relationship I had there ended. I was actually there in the early 90's I think it was.

Anyway, if you don't like rain--it was the rainy season when I was there. Don't remember when exactly that was, but probably can find out for anyone interested. Vancouver IS the rainforest. So it rains quite a lot. The city is right on the Pacific with a mountain range lining just above the ocean. Breathtaking scenery cause you have the mountains and the ocean, obviously. (I will never be a travel writer!)

The people are so friendly and helpful. Canada is bigger than the US as a land mass; and there is a much more sparse population. So plenty of land for everyone. It doesn't feel as crowded as the US would seem. And everyone says, "ay?" at the end of their sentances. So cute.

So, GO, GO, GO to Vancouver! Also a ton of Sushi restaurants because it is close to Asia. Was the place to go for sushi in the 90's. Now Boston seems to rival my memory of how very many sushi spots there were there.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2009

If you are looking for a great budget hotel, this is a great place to stay. Very friendly staff, clean hotel. Six of us stayed in one room with 5 beds, a private bath. Good location, a little far from the HOHO stops. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed here after dropping off rental car, so we were delighted at how easy it was to get around from the YWCA to see so much of central Vancouver - Downtown, Yaletown, Gastown, Chinatown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, etc. Room was compact, but clean and well serviced. Staff were always friendly and helpful. Only quibble with room was that we'd opted for a shared bathroom (between us and next room). Next time I'd go for a bathroom down the hall - more to choose from if someone's in one, and less noisy when your neighbours are having an early shower, etc.! Alternatively, you can pay more and get an ensuite, but I think I'd be happy with the shared one down the hall just as much, and a lot less cost.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple