“Fantastic value, great location”

YWCA Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #17 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Guelph
“Fantastic value, great location”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here for about a week in February while visiting beautiful Vancouver with a group from Ontario. This is a great hotel for those looking for superb value at a lower cost - you aren't going to find anything much cheaper than this in a better/safer and more central location. No food is available directly inside, but tons of places to get food in the area. If you're looking to cook for yourself, you can actually get free pots/pans/utensils/dishes at the front desk if you need them! Lots of friendly travellers from abroad, and I had quite a bit of fun meeting other people in the common kitchenettes and lounges! The hotel is about a 5-15 min walk to restaurants, a library, cafes, SkyTrain station/transit, the shopping/entertainment district, a grocery store, and basically everything else you need and want to see. The staff were very friendly/helpful, and the rooms and facilities were incredibly clean. Not all of the rooms have bathrooms - some are in the hallways and with others there is a joint (shared) bathroom between two rooms. I wasn't the biggest fan of this but I could have selected a slightly more expensive room with a private bathroom if I had wanted. My only other complaint is the internet - you do have to pay, and I found that it was pretty slow during my use. Otherwise, a great place to stay for any traveller (especially extended stays) and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Southport
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our room had two double beds, ensuite. The self-catering facilities are clean and well equipped and a real money saver - particularly for those of us suffering the poor exchange rate of the uk pound. The hostel was quiet although we asked to be moved from our first room on the second floor which was noisy from an air con unit on the hotel next door. The staff were very helpful and moved us to the seventh floor without hesitation.

This place is centrally situated but in a quiet area, handy for the art gallery, shops and everything else Downtown has to offer.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor to make sure the air con from the hotel next door does not disturb...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank spannerSouthport
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here twice during the summer of 2012, the first time in a single room with hall bathroom, for 3 nights, then the second time in a double room with semi-private bathroom.

I chose this hotel after reading the reviews here and was no disappointed. I chose it primarily on it's great value and location. It is 5/10 minute walk from the main shopping streets (Robson and Granville streets).
Both of my rooms, were very clean, and so were the hall bathroom, and semi-private bathroom. The staff were very friendly and although I had no need, I heard them giving out advice to other customers on places to go and how to get there etc.
I would more than happily stay there again, and would recommend it to everyone. For the price you get everything you could want with an excellent location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Hobart
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here as I wanted somewhere close to the Train station (which i had to get to at 5am in the morning) and was worried about the reviews on some of the closer budget places. It's a great location, super friendly staff (they upgraded my room for free without being asked), lovely clean hotel and convenient to everything. No problems in recommending. The only issue I will mention for light sleepers is that the walls in my room were super thin ... I could hear word for word the phone conversations taking place in the room next to mine and the doors on my floor were quite noisy when they closed which woke me up a few times during the night. Having said that, for the price, I'd stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Hello, I stayed at the ywca hotel in Aug 2011, and really liked it. Directly across the street from BC Place stadium, walking distance from almost every Vancouver attraction, and close to the SkyTrain which gets you to and from the Vancouver airport. For the budget traveller,you will not be disappointed. Added bonus, they will give you a free pass to the Ywca gym if you ask, and it is not very far from the hotel.I will be staying at the Ywca hotel again in Sept 2012. I live for experiences, and the affordability of this hotel allows you to have extra money to do all the things you want to do in Vancouver! Highly recommended by me.

Room Tip: What else do you need? The money you spend goes towards women's charities.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Y. W. C. A. Hotel is well located, and convenient to anything which one might want to see or do in the main centre area of Vancouver. The room rates for a single, without bath/toilet, are more than acceptable given the high prices which are normally found in Vancouver.

My only complaint is that the internet, for which there is a fee, is extremely unreliable, and even when it does work the signal is so weak as to make it unusable. I was able to pick up a signal from the establishment next door more easily on the two devices I was carrying with me (a mini-tablet and a netbook). Both these devices worked perfectly anywhere else, including on the ship I’d just disembarked, and ships are notorious for bad WiFi signals. My fee was refunded (after a bit of confusion because it had not been correctly entered into the book), but generally in today’s world the internet connection really should be free. All the more so when it doesn’t work very well. The explanation that the room costs were low, so there was an internet charge really does not suffice nowadays. I have stayed at many a place in many a city, at lower prices than the Y. W. C. A. charges, and free, reliable internet was included.

Within three or four blocks one can find a CostCo, a Canada Post main outlet, the Vancouver Public Library (an excellent library, as public libraries go), a pharmacy and the usual supply of restaurants and fast food joints. Slightly farther afield are attractions such as the tower, which gives a very good view of the city and surrounding area.

Public transportation is close (within a block or two), and taxi service is available and will be telephoned for by the front desk staff upon request. Fare to the cruise port is about eight dollars as of this writing; fare to the airport roughly thirty dollars with tip.

The Y. W. C. A. Hotel is close enough to walk to/from the cruise port, if one is not overloaded with luggage. I have done this on more than one occasion.

The room I had was small, being approximately 85 or 90 square feet. It had a twin bed, with more than sufficient covers. There was a small bar refrigerator, which worked well. There was also a desk which was small but more than adequate for my needs. Shelf and hanging space for clothing was sufficient.

The only real complaint is the sink – it needed replacing, with some rust showing around the edges. And, also, the tap is a standard, vanity style for a bathroom sink. This means it is low, and inconvenient for a lot of things, including filling up a water bottle. As the hotel is renovating, I recommended that when changing sink and hardware, a “bar” tap should be installed, which is higher, and swings out of the way. These are not expensive, and are far more practical when the sink must be used for things other than mere vanity type uses. In fact, I have such bar taps installed on my own sinks in my own bathrooms at home precisely because they are practical.

This was not my first visit to this hotel, and it will not be my last. I usually stay less than a week, and as such I do not bother with a room which has private facilities. I have not seen the inside of rooms which do offer private, or shared, bathroom/toilet facilities, so cannot offer comment on same.

On my floor there was a shower room, as well as a room with a shower and toilet. The latter was always free when I needed it, so I never had to wait to use the room. In the room with the shower only, the shower itself seemed to be faulty. There was no hot water, and the pressure was abysmal. I did report this, but the next day it was the same. This could not have been a building plumbing fault, as the other shower, in the room with the toilet, was okay.

There are several full kitchens in the building. I used two of them, in both cases late in the evening. It was empty, clean and in reasonably good condition.

The kitchen has a few dishes, cooking pots and pans, towels and cloths, microwave ovens, full stove/oven for cooking, and the like. Tables for eating are available.

A set of personal dishes (i.e. plate, bowl, cups, glasses, cutlery) can be obtained from the front desk for no charge. It must be returned upon departure. The quality of my set was very good, and it did not appear cheap or otherwise over-used and/or old.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a location in Vancouver which is good, at a price with is affordable. Personally, although I’m sure others stay there, I find it an excellent choice for the single traveller who like privacy without frills.

Recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank RedMtl
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the YWCA Residence hotel 4 night May 2011. Recommend this place highly as it is two blocks from the Skytrain, Chinatown and around the corner from Robson Street. It is low budget (paid $88 for a private room with shared bath), has thin towels and tiny soap bar wrapped in paper--but the staff are friendly and helpful. We felt safe in the neighborhood. No free wifi, but there's a Waves Coffee shop around the corner that opens until midnight. (or you can pay $6 a day for Wifi at the YWCA). The Y also have laundry facilities and a kitchen with microwave/stove/refrigerator.

Liked that there was a cinema in the International Village two blocks from our hotel. (Go down the stairway by the Chinatown/Stadium Transit stop to get to International Village & Chinatown). Warning:We walked 15-20 minutes the first day using the street map to get to Chinatown. We decided to follow the crowd the next day and found the short cut down those stairs to International Village. We found the cinema inside the mall. (5 minute walk) At International Village. there's a large Asian supermarket called: T & T Supermarket. At the end of the day (after 9pm), they mark down the price of the Sushi, ChapChae, Vietnamese rolls--most of the deli-type food...(From $3.99 to $1.99). From the YWCA, We walked across the Granville Bridge to Granville Public Market. (Long Long Walk). We walked across the Cambi Bridge (one block from our hotel) and explored Broadway Street and Main Street.. We liked the small aquabus ferry that you could catch ($2-$4) from Granville back to certain neighborhoods and were able to walk back to the YWCA.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple