“Beautiful Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We attended a wedding at the Fairmont Waterfront and thought that the hotel was beautiful. There is one restaurant which is open, not very cozy, but great buffets with large and delicious selections. The hotel is located on the water, but it was easy to walk all over Vancouver from this location with restaurants and shops just 2-3 blocks away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
USA
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I spent a wonderful week alone in Vancouver. I had never been there and truely did not know what to expect. We stayed at the Fairmont hotel at Canada Place. The hotel was very high end and had a wonderful pool, hot tub and exercise room. Overall the service was very good unless you had a problem. We found them to be very poor when dealing with any problems. As would be expected at a high end hotel, everything cost extra, and was far overpriced. Though it was a nice hotel, I would not stay there again due to the prices and the service breakdowns when presented with problems. Our friends that stayed across the street at the Pan Pacific had a much better experience and I wished we had stayed there instead.

The city overall was an unexpected surprise for me. There was so much to do! I could have spent the whole week just exploring Stanley Park. It was beautiful. We were lucky to be visiting in the early summer when the outdoor activities were at the peak. I found myself walking all around just exploring the beauty. There were hundreds of amazing restaurants withing a couple of miles (we walked everywhere). Gastown was full of those wonderful restaurants.

Though we went as a getaway without our kids, I found myself noticing how family-friendly Vancouver is. There is a plethora of activities for families and I cannot wait to bring our children back there in the future. I am already planning our next trip! Don't miss visiting Vancouver-it is a beautiful destination!

1 Thank beckee13
travelersabcd
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Fairmount Waterfront was a perfect location. We were only there for one night so we wanted to capture as much of the city as we could. This was a great location without having to drive. You can get on the "train", walk or we even borrowed a bike from the hotel and rode along the waterfront and around Standley Park. Restaurants and shopping are so close and it was a safe environment. The hotel had spectacular views as we watched the cruise ship depart, a platoon plane land and just people watch. Easy to find and the accomodations were wonderful

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
Reviewed October 8, 2009

From the bell hop to the reception desk to the restaurant servers and room service people, there isn't a nicer bunch on the planet. The place was a bit pricey but worth every penny. I came down with a cold the evening of my arrival and by the next evening didn't have the energy to even leave the room. I called room service and explained I was not feeling well and asked to have a meal from the children's menu delivered to my room. They went out of their way to see I had tea and any thing else I needed. I felt safe and cared for in an unfamiliar city. The bed was very comfortable with lovely bedding. The restaurant was expensive but the service was great. There is a small mall with a food court accessible by elevator from the hotel where there is fast food and an American style dinner. The service was uniformly good. There is also a tunnel connecting the mall to the new convention center across the street. As a woman travel alone I was comfortable walking in the area. The seawall is just past the convention center and the view of the water and the mountains is wonderful. I would definitely stay here again if I received a discounted room rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank travelersWisconsin
Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The service was perfect! We were welcomed as soon as we arrived and given valuable information about the hotel and surrounding area. When we arrived in our room, we were in awe by the views. We would like to find something to suggest that they improve other than the cost, but in this case, this is an excellent value and I would go there antime. They make you feel special. Other hotels should study them and try to mimic the way they treat guests

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
North Barrington, IL
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We were seeking an upscale hotel for a night before a train ride and three night stay in Whistler Canada. Booked the top of the night room, which was supposed to have a harbor view. Upon check in we were offered a room with no view on the third floor. The hotel is on a busy street, so passed on that. Was told our room would be ready in about an hour and left our cell phone to be called when it was. No call. Stopped back at he desk in an hour, and the room was ready. Our luggage was brought up from having been checked with the bell captain. Zippers that were not open when we claimed our bags at the airport were partially or fully opened, and the contents of the luggage were messed up. The room itself was, disappointingly ordinary. For $350US per night, a disappointment. The area surrounding the hotel was full of people begging for money -- even coming up to you at Starbucks or as you sat in a nearby food court. People in the street were also aggressive about asking for money. Did not feel safe in the area. The hotel was filled with many people on tours or cruises.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teeitupbarrington
WaterfrontVancouver, Director of Operations at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
I apologize for any service concerns mentioned as it is not indicative of the high service levels we aspire to achieve. I am very concerned about the allegations that our Bell Team opened luggage without permission - no concerns were ever brought to the attention of our Security or Front Desk teams in this situation. I can assure you we have a great team demonstrating the highest level of integrity with an unblemished record.
Pan-handlers are unfortunately an issue for the city of Vancouver, like many urban areas, and is not isolated to The Fairmont Waterfront specifically; I can assure you we are working with the Downtown Vancouver Business improvement Association to address the homelessness issue in our city.
ca
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We bought a "Day after cruise" package through Holland America and so got a good deal on the room. The hotel is very nice, with clean comfortable rooms.

My issue is that with any lodging--especially a 4-5 star location such as this--local calls and internet access are typically included in the nightly rate. Not here! $2 for a 60 minute local or toll-free call and .49 per minute for internet access in the "business centre" kiosk! Absolutely ridiculous! As we were travelling from the US, our mobiles were on international roamng so we were stuck with the fees. For the toll-free call, we finally opted to go downstairs and use one of the pay phones since it was (truly) free there!

Interestingly, I had something stolen at this location as well (not from the room). I only mention it because a previous review mentioned it as well. First experience with this while travelling.

2 Thank evilipoo