“A great Weekend”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“A great Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We recently stayed at The Waterfront Location on the November !st weekend and right off our stay was great the due to staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a surprise from my Wife for my Bday, The staff made this Birthday Weekend amazing, Namely, Miss Wuest at the Check-in made it that much more enjoyable. The rooms were very clean and comfy. The location was very close to all the Downtown interests, a beautiful 20min or so walk from Stanley Park.A glorious view from the many angles of view from the large window. We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FWsocialmedia, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for not only posting your review, but for celebrating such a special occasion with us! I'm so glad the service we provided was of such high caliber, especially Miss Wuest. I hope we can welcome you again! Warm Regards, Indu Brar, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the Fairmont Waterfront. Although I was mildly alarmed about an email alerting us to room renovations whilst we were staying, I did not hear a thing.

Location and Getting there: Took a limo there as there were 5 of us but it is connected to the skytrain station at the concourse (ground) level - Expo and Millenium Line. I understand the Canada Line from the airport is also connected but via another tunnel. As I did not use the Canada Line, I can't vouch for this but on the Expo and Millenium Line, the station is literally a couple of minutes walk underground from the Fairmont. As there was a cold artic chill when I was there, not being exposed to the elements was a real bonus. Took the skytrain 2 stations to Granville to shop at Pacific Centre. All underground so did not have to get out to face the cold.
As others have mentioned - the big bus hop on and hop off main stop and free bus to Capillano is just metres opposite hotel.
I did not walk so much as it was soooo cold but I could see pacific centre from the hotel - I guestimate about 5 blocks and 5-10 minutes walk.

The room: Just renovated room. It was modern and luxurious, lacking for nothing. Had 2 rooms - Water/Harbour view and City View Fairmont Gold room (on 8th floor). The kids were impressed with the tv embedded in the mirror in the bathroom. Nice size. Bathroom had no separate shower cubicle but rain shower was incorporated in bath which was fine with us. I liked the Nespresso coffee maker but for 2 days the only coffee pods in my bar counter were decaf. Good thing on the last day I got another flavour. Would be nice of they put different flavours to choose from every day (once again I guess I could have called but I never got round to it). Thermostat and heating worked like a dream (thank goodness as it was below 0C outside). Beds were super comfy.

Views: One room overlooked water. Some buildings blocked a total water view but I could see the water place starting its run to take off (but building - Pan Pac obscured it's take off). Beware light sleepers, the plane can be a bit noisy and it can start early i.e. 5am. But the bed and room was so comfortable, my wife who woke up went back to sleep promptly. The city view room overlooked another building (you could see people putting in laps in the indoor pool in that building). I think the Pan Pac which was built before may have better harbour views if that is what you're after.

Toiletries: Very nice toiletries though I do agree the Rose scent may not suit all. Abundant quantities. Did not have a sewing kit in the toiletries (which would have been useful as I popped a trouser button - I guess you could have asked for it and they would have brought it but I never got round to it).

Room Service: The food was from the restaurant and I was really marvellous, Took about 30-40 minutes to come which I thought was perfectly acceptable. It isn't really a full 24-hour menu (the late late night menu is very limited). So long as you order before 11pm, you can get the full range. A bit more range in the late late menu would be nice for travellers like me who wake up jet-lagged and hungry at 3am (the 2 pot noodles I bought helped us get through to 6.30 when breakfast was on).

Fairmont Gold Lounge: My first time using a Fairmont Gold Lounge and after this, I wonder why everyone doesn't upgrade. It comes with free internet (not an issue as you can get free internet by joining the President's Club anyway) and breakfast and snacks and drinks. The breakfast was buffet and had 3 hot items and cereals, fruits, pastries, etc. The range was slightly larger in the main breakfast buffet in the restaurant downstairs but the Gold Lounge selections were more than adequate (even for my 3 kids) and the quality very high. I'd much rather prefer a range like this of high quality items than lots and lots of low quality ones. The whole family thoroughly enjoyed breakfast. The canapés in the evening were a meal in themselves - once again the quality was very high and food yummy (after trying the food in the food court nearby, I decided to skip that and have the canapé selection in the hotel).

Staff: The staff and the Gold Lounge and reception were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was very helpful and thoughtful too, getting information for our transfers to Whistler and information for Whistler.

Overall: Great value for money (I paid in advance for their 2nights for 3 scheme) and truly excellent hotel, well located with wonderful renovated rooms and staff!

Room Tip: Go for the Fairmont Gold rooms, you won't regret it.
1 Thank snowbunny35
Dear Guest, I'm absolutely thrilled you had such a spectacular stay. It sounds as though you were able to experience everything that Fairmont Gold has to offer. It truly is a hotel within a hotel and I will share your feedback with the Fairmont Gold team. Please let me know at indu.brar@fairmont.com if your travels bring you back to Vancouver and The Fairmont Waterfront! Sincerely, Indu Brar, General Manager
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront hotel this past weekend with my mother. Here are some points that I noticed from my stay there:

VALET PARKING
We had driven up from Seattle and arrived at the hotel shortly after check-in time was—at around 4:30pm. When we drove up to the driveway, which is situated across the street from Canada place, we opted to have our vehicle valeted—the fee for valet parking is the same fee for self parking. The front door man took quite a while to help us with our luggages, which was fine because the driveway was a bit congested right when we entered.

CHECK IN
Check in was done at the same time my vehicle was being taken to get valeted. The front door man asked what my last name was, and quickly ran to his station to grab a small envelope with our room keys—that was really impressive and such a streamlined type of process. We literally dropped our car and received our room keys all at the same location. The Front Door man assured that our luggages taken earlier would be transported to our room but at the meantime we are able to walk to our hotel room.

HOTEL ROOM
We walked to our hotel room, which was on the 14th floor (1405 specifically). The room was a 2 queen standard room. It had all of the amenities that any other Fairmont hotel room has. The view was nice (especially in the morning time) and clear. The waterfront was right there! The bathroom was pretty small though—compared to the Fairmont Pacific Rim which is located a block away. I was missing a rain shower head and a slightly larger bathroom space. However, their Rose 31 bathroom toiletries were great as always. The bed was really comfortable too! it had a pillowtop mattress which ensured me a restful and extremely comfortable slumber. The mini bar was only accessible through a physical key, which was handed off to us upon checkin.

ROOM SERVICE
Holy crap, $40 for an entree for room service. No thank you. That is too much for something that you are eating in your own room. Instead I walked over to a nearby restaurant (the Cactus Club) and ordered 3 dishes that was just over $40. It just seemed like a rip off

CHECKOUT
I tried to do the express checkout through the phone—the instructions given to us was to dial "0" to checkout of our room. I called 3 times but no one picked up. It was only 9am so I'm sure there were supposed to be staff at that time to answer the phone. instead, I opted to do another option—the email option. Which seemed to work fine.When I went to pick up my car, they previously suggested I call up at my room so that my car would arrive at the driveway by the time I reached the 1st floor.

All in all, the stay was pretty comfortable, but there were slight imperfections that I noticed. None the less, it was still pretty good. I know that the area is close to cruise ship ports, and many people stay here before or after the cruise. Maybe you should too!

1 Thank Jerome B
FWsocialmedia, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay, especially that you appreciated the curbside check-in we offer to our Fairmont President's Club guests. I was disappointed to read that your In-Room Dining and Check-out experiences were not quite as flawless. I will review our menu pricing to ensure our guests are receiving the best value for their dollar and will also follow-up as to why the phone was not answered when you attempted to check-out. Thank you very much for your feedback; I hope to see you again! Warm Regards, Indu Brar, General Manager.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

On a recent return visit to Vancouver my daughters and I stayed again at this wonderful hotel. They are redoing the rooms and we were in one. Beautiful decor and the staff were terrific!
Thank you for making this stay even better than our last.We were made so welcome and greeted warmly throughout the hotel. Also, the staff went out of their way to store a special Christmas gift for the gals' Dad,then made sure we didn't leave it behind.

Room Tip: If you can ,stay in harbour view room in one recently done over. Fabulous!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
FWsocialmedia, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest, We have completed renovations on a great number of our guest rooms and are continuing to renovate the remainder; booking a Deluxe or Fairmont Gold Room ensures a renovated room. I'm so pleased you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back! Warm Regards, Indu Brar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. The room was beautiful, clean and updated. We had a great sleep in the comfy bed. The location is great right downtown across from the water.

We ordered the breakfast in bed one morning and for the price it was not great. I expect to pay more at a Fairmont, but also expect more. Neither of us finished the breakfast. The next morning we just hopped across the street to Starbucks.

Overall a fantastic hotel with amazing staff!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I very much appreciate the time you took to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. While I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, I am very sorry that your breakfast did not meet your expectations. I will have our Executive Chef review our offerings to ensure all our guests are receiving the best service possible. Please email me when you return at indu.brar@fairmont.com; I will be happy to help with your reservation. Sincerely, Indu Brar, General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Right on the Waterfront and a gorgeous view to see North Vancouver and the mountains, this hotel was in walking distance for where I needed to be. The room was spacious, and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The amenities, and the heated outdoor pool was great to swim on a cool November night. Definitely will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room viewing to the north. Large windows and a spectacular scenery.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
FWsocialmedia, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest, It sounds as though you had a chance to experience most of the hotel and downtown Vancouver! I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. Warm Regards, Indu Brar, General Manager
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

November 11/2013 we had our third visit to the hotel (second time on the Gold Floor)....the staff outdid themselves again. One of the staff on the
Gold Floor even remembered Heidi's, our dog's name. We chose a corner room (Highly recommended) and overlooking the water. We loved to be able to take the few steps to the Gold Floor Lounge....pickup some food & snacks and take it back to our room to relax and have solitude & quiet (which you may appreciate after being in downtown Vancouver).

We both really appreciated the food in the Gold Floor Lounge...the first morning breakfast was goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes and maybe spinach, omlette...plus sausages and bacon...not to say mention the various smoothies...yoghurts...several bowls of different kinds of fresh cut fruit...muffins....pain au chocolat and delicious coffee. My husband needs to be gluten free and the staff so kindly went to the main kitchen to get turkey sausages and also yummy gluten free muffins...what more could we ask for.

I had a short meeting booked with someone...it was lovely sitting in the lounge..being served coffee and a quiet time to talk. In the past we have met in a coffee shop...forget about quiet..just not possible. This was a gift to us both to be welcomed into the Lounge.

I regret that I can't locate the names of a few special staff on the Gold Floor Lounge:.....Victoria, the manager and assit. mgr...all went above and beyond to help us....EVERY one of the staff were exceptional....they gave us more than we could possibly ask for or imagine.

We are so looking forward to our fourth visit.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room...pay the extra for the Gold Floor...it is worth the treat.... sign up for...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FWsocialmedia, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest, We do our utmost to offer amazing service and amenities throughout the hotel, but we truly go above and beyond on Fairmont Gold. It makes me incredibly proud to know that our Fairmont Gold team is making you feel so welcome and comfortable. I will share you comments with them, as well as our Executive Chef; she should know how much our guests appreciate our meal offerings. Sincerely, Indu Brar, General Manager