“Great location for this quality hotel”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
NW England
“Great location for this quality hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a single night, prior to a seven day cruise and then again, for a further four nights later. We arrived by Sky Train from the airport, a great cheap method of travel and were immediately given an upgrade to a harbour view room. This was on the 14th floor and had a great view of the waterfront, with the ships coming and going and also the floatplanes. The room was excellent, with good furnishings and a very comfortable bed. We ate breakfast in the hotel the next morning and here I have the one and only criticism. In an establishment of this quality and given the cost, I do not appreciate having to queue and wait for a table! The restaurant is clearly not large enough to cope with the numbers of guests. The breakfast was very nice but as expected, rather expensive. We left the following day, the cruise terminal just being across the road from the hotel.
When we returned to Vancouver, we weren't given an upgrade, the receptionist stating that, whilst they gave us it for one night, they wouldn't give it for four! We could of course pay. We decided to look at the room allocated, which was on the 19th floor. It was absolutely fine. It was much larger than the upgrade and although the view wasn't across the harbour, it was across the Vancouver skyline. It was again, very well furnished with a large tv and coffee/tea making facilities. The bathroom was excellent. Lovely towels, toiletries and bathrobes.
This hotel appears to be regularly used by people on cruises. As such, it seems to have a rapid turnover of guests and is therefore busy. It is in a great location, right on the waterfront. It is ideal for cruisers and for anyone wishing to get transport to attractions, such as Capilano, Grouse Mountain etc., as the buses are virtually outside. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms in this hotel are good. If you want a harbour view, you will have to pay to upgrade bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nufcnut
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed our harbour front location and I agree the Canada Line Skytrain service from the airport is very convenient. I would like to thank you for your feedback with regards to your dining experience, please know I have reviewed your comments with the restaurant team and we are looking at opportunities to adjust our hosting procedures as we certainly do not want guests waiting to be seated. You may be interested to know that we will be completely remodeling the restaurant this upcoming winter and feedback like yours is invaluable to our design process. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, I do hope you enjoyed our cruise and that we have the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to Canada’s West Coast. Warm regards, Indu Brar, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lafayette, NJ
Reviewed July 21, 2013

When staying in a hotel that costs close to $500 a night (including all taxes and fees), you have every right for top-notch expectations - and the Fairmont Waterfront, where we stayed for one night in July, fell short on several. First, if you are charging close to $500 a night (our room was $429, and all the fees brought it closer to $499), Internet access should be free, not $15 for 24 hours. And the pretty dated bicycles should be free and available to all guests by afternoon, not just "reserved for our Presidents Club members." A heated pool means that you can walk in without flinching - a good 70 degrees. Theirs was the Canadian version of "heated," probably about 60-64 degrees. The waterfront view from our side of the hotel (for which we paid extra) viewed onto Canada Place and one docked cruise ships, but also the cargo container loading infrastructure that reminded us of Port Authority in Elizabeth, New Jersey. But what really annoyed us most was an incident where one of the party in our hotel room forgot the room number, went down to the front desk to show the room key, and was given a difficult time to be provided the room number. I understand the need for internal security, but the woman at the front desk clearly knew we were staying in the same room, since we had chatted together with her for about 10 minutes on our check-in. When I went down to attempt to straighten things out, I was given that smarmy "I'm only going to apologize not because I'm genuinely sorry but only because you're making an issue out of this" kind of hotel staff apology. What her apology did result in was our decision to stay only one night, depriving the hotel of another $429 (note to hotel management). This was one female front desk staffer with long straight black hair - the others we interacted with fine and professional. Where I give pluses to the hotel: great gym with machines and free weights up to 50 lbs., would be a nice outdoor rooftop pool if warmer, room was clean and comfortable. And if the Fairmont really wanted to make things up to us, a $100 discount on our stay - or a free hotel room in another in the Fairmont chain - would be a good start.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David M
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to submit a TripAdvisor review of our property. Feedback is very important to us as we consistently review our practices to ensure we offer our guests the service and products they deserve. I was very concerned to read your review and hear of your disappointment in a few areas. I can certainly sympathize with your frustration in regards to the room key issue, please know it was not our intention to inconvenience you or your travel companions in any way, but we strictly enforce all security protocol and never give out room information without proper identification. Guest safety is always our priority. Nevertheless, we strive to provide warm and engaging service to our guests under all circumstances and I sincerely apologize your interaction with the above-mentioned guest agent did not meet your expectations or our standards. Please know I will be reviewing your feedback with the Front Office team personally. I appreciate your comments with regards to internet and our hotel bicycles, you may be interested to know that we offer free WiFi, car service and use of the bikes to all Fairmont President’s Club members and that membership is also complimentary, only a few of the perks of our loyalty program. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail, please contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or by email at indu.brar@fairmont.com at your convenience. Once again I am sorry for your disappointment and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and regain your trust. Sincerely, Indu Brar, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stumbled in at 9am after a 14 hr flight with no sleep to drop my bags off prior to the afternoon check in. The staff very kindly arranged my room for me straight away for no extra charge which allowed me to get settled and have a shower. This made a huge difference to my day - thank you so much.

The location is good with a lovely view across the harbour to Stanley Park and North Vancouver with the sight of sea planes taking off and landing. Canada Place and Convention Centre are across the road with Robson Street and Gastown short walks away. Facilities are very good - I used the gym which also has a nice view and the outdoor pool looked great although I did not use it. My room was very nice.

My only criticism is the internet which was both expensive and slow...this could be improved. Otherwise enjoyed my 2 nights there thoroughly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor – your feedback is very much appreciated. I was very happy to read that the team was able to get you into your room upon early arrival; nothing feels better after a 14 hour flight than a nice hot shower. I would like to apologize for the slow internet you experienced; I have asked our Engineering team to investigate. You may be interested to know that The Fairmont Waterfront offers free internet to members of the complimentary Fairmont President’s Club among other great perks like use of the hotel car service and bikes, I highly recommend membership. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us here at The Fairmont Waterfront and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Indu Brar, General Manager
St. Louis
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Clean, comfortable beds, helpful desk staff, great location. I felt it was expensive, but most things seem expensive in Canada! No free internet or continental breakfasts here! Nice pool. Disney uses this hotel for their crusiers. They have an information desk in the hotel the night before and the morning of a cruise. There is a food court downstairs below lobby level...didn't know about it until the 3rd day of our stay. Hotel restaurant is overpriced and not kid friendly. Brunch buffet is very expensive and to very extensive. Steps away from the convention center and cruise terminal No one told us we could easily get city transportation to places like Stanley Park instead suggested a taxi, which was much more costly.LIKED it A LOT, but liked the FAIRMONT AIRPORT HOTEL EVEN BETTER: Bigger rooms, bigger windows, and right on the transportation circuit easy to catch flights in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the port. City views are ok, but port/ mountain views are very nice!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review for TripAdvisor. Guest feedback is very important to us as we consistently review our practices to ensure we offer our guests the service and products they deserve. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, but was concerned to read of your disappointment in a few areas. Please know I have shared your feedback with our food & beverage team for future consideration. You may be interested to know that The Fairmont Waterfront, like all Fairmont hotels, offers free internet to members of the Fairmont President’s Club and that membership is also complimentary. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. Sincerely, Indu Brar, General Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed overnight precruise - Canada Place is across the road, so we were able to leave bags in luggage room whilst we explored! Lovely room (with city view) and facilities, great gym and swimming pool overlooking quay and cruise ships. Small but pretty garden to explore with own beehives (and honey and honey truffles - mmm!)
Didn't eat at hotel (Starbucks across the road!) so can't comment on food, but staff very helpful.
Tip: we decided to do a tour of Chinatown with Ali (Tour Guys) on the Sunday morning (see review) after wandering round Canada Place and watching the floatplanes taking off and landing.

Room Tip: high floor gives a better view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Indu Brar, General Manager
Delta, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Perfect location in Downtown Vancouver...right in front of Canada Place and near beautiful shops. A walk away to different tourist attractions...Olympic Couldron, Vancouver Conference Centre....If you are hungry and want to explore good eats outside the hotel you can try different restaurants or better yet go to a fast food gallery within the area (Waterfront Mall). We attended a conference in downtown and finishes late and had to walk back to the hotel...we had a great time walking...Staff were really friendly and very courteous...Express Checkout was great...plenty of parking spaces within the hotel and connects to the shops too.

Room Tip: Our room had a fantastic view and we were in the 17th floor...facing Vancouver convention Center...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to submit a TripAdvisor review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and our great location for exploring – Vancouver is such a walkable city. Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Fairmont Waterfront and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future. Warm regards, Indu Brar, General Manager
North Yorkshire
Reviewed July 15, 2013

During June 2013, we stayed 3 times at the Waterfront, 4 nights in all. One before heading for Vancouver Island, second on our return and before joining our cruise ship to Alasksa and, finally, 2 nights on our return. First 2 rooms (2122 and 1922) had views over the city - very good, and the third (1003) had views over the harbour and bay area - great (ok, it came at extra cost, but worth it). The location, for us, was superb, eg we could walk to just about everywhere - and they even took our suitcases to the ship terminal. Also, getting to the ferry terminal included the bus company coming to the hotel. For our time in Vancouver, Stanley Park, Gastown and China Town are all closeby. For nights out, plenty of places in Downtown or on the Waterfront. Also had a meal at the hotel which was very good. All staff went out of their way to be as helpful as possible. Stayed at 2 other Fairmonts - this was the best.

Room Tip: When we stayed, rooms to floor 10 had been upgraded. That said, we had 2 rooms above that level an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaleNorthYorkshire
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor, your comments are very much appreciated. I was thrilled to read that you had stayed with us on several occasions and enjoyed our location and views. There is so much to do and see along the seawall! I do hope you enjoyed your cruise to Alaska and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Indu Brar, General Manager