“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Orebro, Sweden
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have visited Vancouver once every year for the last 20 years and stayed at numerous hotels.
In fact the first time I was in Vancouver was in 1963 at a time when Vancouver was vastly different from today.
Anyway this time I decided to stay at the Fairmont Waterfront, which is a hotel which is very well located if you wish to browse around Gas Town. However if you wish to go to the other end like Granville Island ist is quite a walk and short but nice ferry ride.
I was pleasantly surprised abot the quality and my harbour view. The reception was upstair for gold guests and the staff was extremely friendly. A great lounge and a very nice outdoor swimmingpool added to the comfort of the hotel. It was a place where I did feel at home.
With so many restaurants in Vancouver with food from all parts of the world dinner at the hotel does not seem the right thing to do if your tastebuds crave something different.
All in all a great stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. Our colleagues strive to provide warm and engaging service and I was thrilled to read that the hotel made you feel at home during your stay, as this is very much our goal for every guest. You may be interested to know that we have two hotel cars available for our guests and our Bellmen would be happy to drive you to Granville Island or restaurant downtown. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fairmont Waterfront on next year’s visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Fairmont Waterfront lives up to the Fairmont reputation of excellence and comfort. It is a beautiful, modern hotel, walking distance to the Sky Train, Canada Place, the waterfront, seawall, Stanley Park, downtown Vancouver...well, anywhere you want to go, really. The staff, right from the doorman to the chamber maids (sorry, that may be politically incorrect) were courteous, friendly and attentive. My room turned out to have an amazing view of the bay and north mountains (was listed as a "city view" room), and the beds were out of this world. The restaurant's food was outstanding, and again, service was top-notch and very personal. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. I am a Fairmont member, with the goal of staying in each one in Canada at least once, so I can mark another off the list. Exceptional stay and I was sad to check out.

Room Tip: Despite being on the north (sorry, I get turned around in Vancouver) side, right by Canada Place (wh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor, your kind words are very much appreciated. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay - I am very proud of the level of warm and engaging service our colleagues strive to provide and I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again on your cross Canada Fairmont adventure. Warmest regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Fairmont Waterfront has a great location close to the harbor, Canada place, Gastown, and Robson street. Upon our arrival I asked for instructions on how to get to the hotel parking and was immediately assisted by one of the staff members staying at the hotel doors. The check in was fast (though we were the only ones checking in as it was a late Friday evening) and we got exactly the type of room we booked (harbor view, king, non-smoking, on one of the top floors). The room was of descent size, impaccably clean and comfortable. The best feature of the room was the view of the harbor, Canada place, and some of the highrises nearby. The TV was strange - there was no tv channels available, only pay movies and Internet TV (whatever that means). But we did not spend much time in the room. Oh, and the bed was really comfy.

We used the consierge services for recommendation of restaurants and what to see, and the advices were great! Very knowledgeable and helpful staff.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms are nice, but the view is not panoramic. Pan Pacific Hotel located in front of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I was glad to read that you enjoyed our fantastic location and harbour-views. My apologies for the technical difficulties with your guestroom television, I have asked our Engineering team to look into it further, as we definitely offer a wide range of HD channels, thank you for bringing this challenge to our attention. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit across the border and if I can be of assistance on your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We spent one night at the Fairmont after our cruise and I couldn't have been more pleased! The large room was spotless and the view of the waterfront was spectacular. We arrived early but were able to leave our luggage while we toured the city. As soon as our room was ready, we received a call on our cell phone (early afternoon). We enjoyed the gym with a eucalyptus steam room and the pool area - staff in gym was exceptionally friendly and helpful (Unfortunately, I didn't get her name). At night, we sat out on the patio and enjoyed a glass of wine with friends. The waitress was wonderful! Next visit, I'd love to make use of the complimentary bikes to tour the waterfront/Stanley Park. Our flight was late the next day, so again we left our luggage with the concierge (it was kept in a very secure area) and the front desk gave us a key to the spa/gym after checkout, so we could freshen up before our flight. Every time I walked through the front doors, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed this hotel and all of it's amenities. I would definitely stay there on my next visit to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking waterfront - I think we were on the 10th floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2trvl_8
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. I never get tired of reading such positive guest feedback and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that we offer baggage service directly from the hotel to the Canada Place cruise ship terminal for our cruise guests, which makes us ideal for pre and post cruise stays. Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Fairmont Waterfront and do take advantage of the hotel bikes on your next stay - a ride around Stanley Park is definitely a Vancouver must. Warmest regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I have been a Fairmont member for a number of years and always try to stay at Fairmont hotels if available in the cities I'm visiting. Fortunately most major cities in Canada and the USA have Fairmonts.

When staying in Vancouver my first choice is the Waterfront as they always give me a great room with a harbour view. I can never fault the service from check-in to check-out.

The Fairmont Pacific Rim is also a wonderful place to stay. I love the upscale bathrooms with the "hidden TV" in the mirror.

Of course you must not forget the "Grand Dame" of Fairmonts in Vancouver, the Hotel Vancouver. While you can't always guarantee a large room and sometimes you think you got a closet by mistake, you can always rely on the same Fairmont service as every other Fairmont. Plus you can walk the dogs at the Vancouver property.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I was thrilled to read that we are your first choice when staying in Vancouver. You may be interested to know that we have just completed an ambitious renovation of our Fairmont Gold floors which included remodeling our bathrooms with glass-encased rain showers (and the hidden TV in the bathroom mirrors). Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and if I can be of assistance on your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or by email at ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel for business. It did not start well - I arrived early, just before noon, but was not checked in till after 4:30 (and they wouldn't tell me what the check-in time was, which was not helpful). I was told twice that they would call when the room was ready, but they didn't - when I checked again at 4:30 and found the room was ready and asked why they hadn't called, I was told that it had only become available 5 minutes before - if that was true, it was an awfully long wait, and I suspect was after the official check-in time.

I was there with a conference and many people were immediately checked in and upgraded, and many were made to wait hours, and were left sitting in the lobby while people just arriving were immediately checked in- there was no rhyme or reason to it, and it was quite frustrating. And I find the whole charade irritating - at noon I was told my room would be made up immediately, it was almost ready, etc etc. - all of which was untrue, and it would have just been preferable if they had said - listen - you are going to be waiting a long time, so don't check back with us for hours.

As well, there was a problem processing various credit cards - mine was fine, but my colleague's did not go through, and this happened to a number of other people at the conference - but the hotel was insisting that in each case it was the credit card itself, and not a system problem, rather than advising that this seemed to be a systems problem (I was aware of this from spending time in the lobby, waiting for my room).

My room itself was not great - I had a city view, which is nothing special. The harbour views are beautiful - it is well worth paying for the upgrade. And it was not designed for real work - the "desk" is an old-fashioned one that is too high to work at properly - I had to sit on a pillow as a "booster seat "and it was still awkward to use the keyboard on my computer. Not sure why this type of desk has not been replaced by something more suited to the computer age, but the hotel is somewhat tired and could use updating.

The positives? The food at the conference was excellent - far better and more varied than I expect from hotel food. And when I lost a button one day the front desk sent up a sewing kit for me. And the first night when we went out to dinner the hotel used their car (which was a fancy expensive car) to drive us, which was nice, and meant we didn't need to call a taxi.

I wouldn't stay there again though - I am sure there are better options in a city as big as Vancouver..

Room Tip: Pay for the harbour view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kelly M
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for TripAdvisor. Feedback is very important to us as we consistently review our practices to ensure we offer our guests the service and products they deserve. I was concerned to read your review and hear of your disappointment in a few areas. I sincerely apologize for any delays you experienced upon check-in; this is certainly not the service or lastly impression we wish to provide our guests, please know I will be reviewing your comments thoroughly with our team. We would love to have the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally, if you could contact our Front Office Manager, Krista Thomas, at 604-691-1835 or by email at Krista.thomas@fairmont.com it would be greatly appreciated. In regards to your guest room desk comments, you may be interested to know that we just completed an ambitious renovation project of 178 guest rooms which included among other updates, new desks with built-in connectivity hubs as well as the addition of ergonomic chairs for our business travelers. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once again, and hopefully regain your trust in us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and if ever there is anything else we can do to make your time with us more comfortable in the future; please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

W have just returned from n extended family trip to Canada. We had booked gold club rooms at this hotel as with mother in law, 18 year old student son and 10 year old daughter ,we knew we needed a lounge to hang out in during our 6 night stay.
When we arrived ,unfortunately the gold floor lounge was still being renovated (finished now) which was hugely disappointing.
However the staff and management at the Fairmont could not have been more understandign and helpful.
As soon as they understood our needs they gave us an additional room ,providing us with a suite, where my son could work and we spent a few rainy afternoons lplaying cards and watching films.
Everyone we came into contact with from front of house, cleaning,concierge and restaurant and management were friendly and helpful and genuinely happy! This helped us to enjoy our canadian experience. We took in a canucks game ( great fun) and the hotel left us a present of scarves on the day of the game which was really sweet of them and meant we looked the part! The hotel is conveniently located with a view of the harbour and the gold floor rooms have been beautifully redesigned and are spacious and very comfortable. Never had a tv in the bathroom before! WOuld really recommend and speak to the Management if there are any hitches and they will resolve them. Fairmont president club ( free to join) offers benefits too

Room Tip: Do cal if you want adjoining rooms, some harbour view rooms have a very industrial harbour outlook.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family