“Great Place to Stay”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is centrally located; as such it is easy to walk from the hotel to various meeting locations and to a large selection of restaurants for dinner in the area. The room was nickel and spacious, and the staff responsive and courtuous.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We spent 3 nights here after a fantastic 3 weeks trip through BC, We had a grat room overlooking the harbour and Canada Place.
Room was good size, clean, silent. Breakfast was not complimentary, but good quality. Friendly staff.
Location great, no nose from street or harbour. Sky train station very close. Pool overlooking harbour, great! Hot tub good size.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank constantiae
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor, your kind words are very much appreciated. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and our water-views and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We popped up to Canada for a quick 3 day weekend in September with our kids to visit our good neighbors to the North and give our kids a whirl around Vancouver. I have to say it was unexpectedly one heck of a fun trip.

Not only was the hotel better than expected, but Vancouver had a ton to offer for families and we had an absolute blast! I am super picky and my kids ( spoiled rotten) get bored easily,and this town did not disappoint!

So more about the hotel.

I'm going to break it down to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly; as I sometimes tend to do.

The Good

The hotel was impressive. Huge lobby of typical marble title etc. Still, it was tremendously open with glass windows on 3 sides with views of the harbor just across the street.

Herons restaurant sits just a few steps above the lobby in an open area, where you can see the lobby as well as the street outside, I'm not doing it justice here, but just trust me. It felt very elegant, yet, inviting to the happenings outside too. Kind of a best of both worlds.. Not cramped up and closed up from the fun hustle and bustle, that many larger hotels tend to have.

We booked 2 rooms through our President's Club membership. BTW... this membership is free to anyone, and it's a wonderful advantage. They are very generous with their upgrades and other amenity certificate awards for their members. I highly recommend joining the "club" before you book your trip so you get credit for your next visits upgrade possibilities.

Anyway, we booked 2 rooms and we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a full 2 bedroom suite. This was heaven for our family with 4 kids. The bedrooms flanked the center living room area.

The view was quite breathtaking. And I must admit I did not expect that in Vancouver. We had a panoramic view through the 3 rooms that included the gorgeous harbor, the Vancouver Convention Center, the city, and Stanely Park.

The Convention Center is quite an attraction in itself, and the view of it could not be better than from our suite. We had a view overlooking the roof.. ahhhh, but not any old roof! This is a six acre "living roof" that houses thousands of indigenous plants. It was quite amazing to look at, and my kids were continually fascinated.

The harbor sites also included regular landing of sea planes. This also was quite spectacular to view from our suite.

We did feel a bit indulged, and I'm remiss for posting so late, please forgive me Fairmont, as I have been swamped with the necessities of life, and and had to forgo my TripAdvisor "duties" for a while.

So, here I am back typing away, and I must say this hotel was worth every penny and more.

They went the extra mile on almost everything.

We had slippers brought in and of course the traditional robes that Fairmont bestows on their guests. The toiletries in the bathrooms were all high end.

The hotel staff really outdid themselves by including all kinds of sweet treats for the kids. Everything from board games, to movies, to cookies and much more. The Canadians really know how to host their loyal hotel patrons.

The Heron Restaurant was especially kind to our children and gave us a great breakfast buffet. I'm not a fan of most buffets, in fact I skipped the buffet on this trip, but my children and husband thoroughly enjoyed it.

The location was excellent. We hopped around town, walked a few blocks to the Historic Gas Town. Super fun!!

We checked out all kinds of museums and did 2 days of the Hop on Hop off Bus called The Fun City Bus! We loved it! The hotel is right across the street from the main hub for the sight seeing tours. So it was "easy peasy" to get around.

OK.. The Bad?

Well here is the bad about the hotel:

The concierge staff was horrible! They did not help out with decent info at all. In fact one of them gave me false hope for about 5 minutes that we could book a football game,and then said she was wrong, and then gave me hope again that she could book a live play or musical suitable for our family, and then again, said she didn't find anything, and then ... she told me something to the affect of "Madonna is in town, that's why nothing else is going on. "

Seriously?

Two questions:

Why would a qualified concierge not already know what was happening on the weekend?

Why would she have to look up items like a play or football game? As if she didn't have the question ever asked of her before.. Seriously? What a waste of my time, not to mention the fact she kept getting my hopes up.

I could have looked up that "stuff" myself in less time. Geez.

OK.. and then the next "guy" that we asked for help at the concierge stand, sends my husband and kids off to a restaurant down the street, and says that they don't take reservations but it will be no problem to get in. Wrong again! There was a huge line! Huge! I guess, Madonna's fans were hungry too? So, wouldn't a professional concierge call to confirm, and not send a family with little kids trekking down the way, and again wasting our time? Hello????

And that is it.

Nothing horribly ugly at this hotel.

Believe me if there was you would hear about it from me right here.

OK. Maybe the concierge ordeals were pretty ugly. But I'm going to pass them to the just "really bad" classification, since everything else was so extreemly lovely.

Lastly, this hotel was so top notch in everyother way for us, I would hate to ding them so harshly for a few lame employees. Really Fairmont. I would seriously consider retraining the concierge staff. Or hiring new people ... professionals that do a little homework before their shift starts so they don't waste people's precious time. Just because I walk up with a baby stroller in tow, does not mean my time isn't valuable, in fact I think the gal who gave me the " Madonna's in town" excuse would be flabbergasted to know that I am one of the largest woman owned business owners in the entire San Francisco Bay Area, ranked in the top 20 out of the 100 women that receive the award. But the diapers sticking out of my purse may have made her feel that my time was worthless, at least that's how she made me feel, as she barely apologized and actually laughed about not being able to find any entertainment for us. I didn't think it was funny at all.

If you liked my review please check that little button that says so, it just makes me feel good to know I am actually helping my fellow TripAdvisor pals. Thank you and take care!

Marin Momma signing out.

P.S. Please forgive any typos.. I whisked this one out.

Room Tip: Must get the view room(s).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MelissaBradley

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your incredibly thorough and kind review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor; I recognize how busy a professional working mother’s schedule can be and your time and comments are very much appreciated. I was thrilled to read that overall you and your family enjoyed both your time in our beautiful city and your stay at the hotel. I have to agree that Vancouver is surprisingly full of fun activities for families and I hope you had a chance to borrow the hotel’s bicycles (we have children’s bikes as well) for a trip around the Seawall and Stanley Park – a real Vancouver must! I was very disappointed to read about your concierge experience, this is definitely not the guest experience we are renowned for providing. I would like to sincerely apologize that you were made to feel that your time was not valued, please know I will be reviewing your feedback with the concierge team personally to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back once again in the near future. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

For our stay in Vancouver,we booked a harbourview room for ourselves and another standard room for our daughter 10-18 March 2013 at the Fairmont Waterfront.On arrival,to our great delight we were greeted with an unexpected and amazing upgrade to a two-room suite on the 11th.floor with spectacular views of the harbour and Lions Gate Bridge.It did not take us long to settle down and make us at home, spreading ourselves in the spacious accomodation and making use of all the modern facilities such as large flat screen TV in every room,powerful showers and complimentary tea/coffee.The large suite also allowed us to receive our many friends and family in great comfort.We could not have made a better start to our holidays!!!

The feel-good factor maintained itself throughout our 8-day stay as the staff was everywhere welcoming,helpful and friendly.The location was perfect for a stroll along the seawall on its doorsteps or shopping along Robson and the sky trains and sea bus can be caught without going out of the hotel.There is also a food court and shops in the concourse indoors.

A holiday to write home about and remember.Thanks to Fairmont Waterfront!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest, I was thrilled to read your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor and I am so glad that our colleagues made you feel welcomed and that we were able to play a part in your memorable visit to Vancouver. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fairmont Waterfront on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My best friend and I came for one night to attend the Bob Seger concert. We were given a beautiful view room overlooking Coal Harbour. The large windows were like a virtual reality tv screen. We sat and had tea in our room in the morning while watching the boats, float planes, and people walking along the paved walkways, etc. The beds were very comfortable, too.

We decided to stay another night and were given the same very reasonable rate to stay again. Because my friend signed up for free for the the President's Club, free bicycle rentals were included (if they were available and not already signed out), free wifi, and because one of the hotel's cars was available and the night wasn't busy, the concierge gave us a ride to the concert in a BMW for free! The water cooler by the elevators has cold fresh , iced water with slices of lime, orange and lemon in it. So refreshing! I will come here again. Because we took the Helijet, a free shuttle took us right to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for your review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope the Bob Seger concert was also a success. I was thrilled to see that you were able to take advantage of the hotel’s car service, you may be interested to know that we have added another BMW on site so that we are able to extend the service to more guests. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for your next trip to Vancouver! Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Loved this Hotel amazing views of the Harbour,Please upgrade it is worth it, could see the cruise ships come in on the morning from my window,
Check in was very smooth and quick, before travelling I joined the Fairmont president club -
Breakfast was especially good, would return again

Room Tip: Join the fairmont president club - great rewards and benefits
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Waterfront hotel in Vancouver. Everything about this hotel was superior. We were upgraded to a harborview room on the nineteenth floor. Beautiful, we are from central Alberta so the water was a wonderful change from the snowdrifts in our yard at home. The staff at the hotel were terrific, very efficient and so friendly and helpful. They seemed to know what we needed before we had the chance to ask. We ate at the restaurant twice, both meals were served with style and smiles. The food was excellent. We ordered room service as well and the meal was hot, well presented and the table set up beautifully. We used the bikes one morning and enjoyed our tour around Stanley Park. I required a wheelchair during our stay and the hotel graciously found one for me. We will definitely be back to enjoy British Columbia hospitality.

Room Tip: Definitely reserve a waterfront room if it is available.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lms973
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to use the complimentary hotel bikes – I truly believe that the ride around the seawall and Stanley Park is a Vancouver must. I was however very concerned to read that you required a wheelchair during your stay and I do hope that you have recovered from your injury. Thank you again for your kind words and if I can ever be of ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager