“Best location, Best views”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is a great location, nearby to everything. You can walk to Stanley Park, Gastown, Yaletown and everywhere inbetween. If you are not up to walking, they will drive within the downtown area in their BMW. We had a lovely room that looked out over the water to the mountains beyond. We go to Vancouver often and always try to stay at this hotel. The staff is always friendly and accomodating and the restaurant has great food. There is no better way to start the day than waking up with a view like nowhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,479)

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Waterfront for a three day Vancouver add-on to a week's snowboarding in Whistler. On arrival, we were upgraded to a deluxe room with a two window corner view over the harbour... Fantastic!

View aside though, the room was a bit tired, and constantly cold... Even with the air con on 30 degrees! Despite having to ask twice, there was never any milk to go with the nice coffee machine or tea, so we gave up on that!

The Herons restaurant was nice but very overpriced. Rather than spend nearly $30 on breakfast, it's far better to cross over the road and go to Bellaggio Cafe under the Convention Centre... Much better atmosphere and great food for 1/3 of the price!

My biggest problem, however, was the $45 bill posted under the door for 3 days wifi use! Fairmont need to wake up to 2013... I don't expect to have to pay for this in a cafe, let alone a five star hotel! To be fair, the hotel did drop this to $15 after I complained.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank KnutsfordBoy
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the harbour views from our signature guest room, but was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on a few points of your stay. Please accept my apologies that the requested milk was not delivered, this is certainly not the level of service that we strive for and I will review your comments with the In Room Dining team. I truly appreciate your feedback on both the guestroom décor and internet; we are currently undergoing expansive guestroom renovations that will see ten floors of the hotel completely refreshed and I look forward to launching the refreshed product in April. You may also be interested to know that high speed internet is complimentary at all Fairmont hotels for members of the Fairmont President’s Club, I highly recommend joining online. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us here at The Fairmont Waterfront, I do hope you enjoyed the snowboarding. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband, dog and I planned on 5 nights in Portland right after NY...we realized we were too tired to do the six hour drive so instead took advance of "Take The Elevator Home" promo. at the Waterfront Hotel in Vcr. We live in Victoria so it was only a short ferry ride away - we have many friends who stay here and rave about the hotel. This was our chance.

When we drove up, the Bellman handed us our room keys and advised we had no need to go to check in - what a treat to begin our stay.

We took the first load of dog dishes, mats, towels up and on entering the 3rd floor room we heard jackhammers. We knew they were renovating but I was not thinking "jackhammers". My husband and dog waited in the room while I went to the desk to explain our noise complaint. They advised they would change our room to an upper floor and offer us breakfast coupons, which was a generous, welcome and unexpected offer.. So back to the room I go and up to the corner room on the 17th floor..the view was wonderful but we still had background music of "jackhammers". We went down to the desk again and they said they would call around to other hotels in the area to see if they could accommodate us. By this time we were tired and could not face packing up and moving so we said we would try it out as they thought the jackhammers may end later that afternoon.

Saturday my husband left early to help his brother move and I went to the desk again...they said they would offer me (again very generous and kind), entry into the neighboring Fairmont Hotel, a day at the spa....I appreciated the offer but I did not want to leave our dog in the room for the day while I went to the spa.

The reason for the holiday as that we were both very tired....I wanted to spent the three days in the room...reading, swimming in the outdoor heated pool and using the gym ...it turned out I went shopping instead...fun but not what my poor old body wanted and I did not have the use of our vehicle as my husband needed it to help his brother.

We stayed the night of Jan. 4 and 5. The jackhammers went on and off from 9:00 AM - 5:00..but I must say....I believe the jackhammers were going to end last Sunday by 5:00 PM...so please...DO NOT STAY AWAY from the hotel because of our experience...this was a one time construction of the 8, 9 and 10th floor, I believe)....renovations have to be done to keep the hotel up to date and unfortunately noise is part of the process.

We are both disappointed as we left the hotel a little more tired than when we arrived.

Now..end of "disappointments:.

The room was large and comfortable...even a little hallway so there was NO noise from people coming and going to their rooms....bathroom was roomy...love the high end toiletries with no parabens...the bed was unbelievably comfortable...we had the best sleeps...even Heidi slept well.

Every staff person we met was exceptional...so friendly (I have no idea how people knew our names & Heidi the dog, when they had never seen us before). I think every time we met a staff member and we had Heidi in tow..they would ask...."do you have enough dog dishes"...."is Heidi's bed OK?"....".would Heidi like a treat".....the little package of dog treats are healthy and locally made....."do you have enough doggy bags?" Just for the dog owners reading this....there is a tiny piece of grass about a 1 minute walk away...even walking Heidi there alone at night I felt safe..always seemed to be lots of people around.

I want to compliment the management...the staff training is exceptional and the staff appear to be genuinely happy.

Oh and the best part was my Sunday early morning swim..alone in the rooftop pool..just getting light...rain sprinkling down....seagulls flying overhead...birds calling out below in the ocean...so back and forth I swam..enjoying the quiet, solitude & the warmth of the water....what gift..just what I needed.

Oh and the gym is very well equipped..one of the best we have seen....I went three times and never saw anyone either in the gym or in the pool.

Last...we really enjoyed/appreciated our complimentary breakfast buffet...food was of good quality, and variety and the staff more than attentive, cheerful, helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I read that someone suggested a corner room...we did and we lucky to get one...WE LOVED IT...we had...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit such a thorough review of The Fairmont Waterfront for TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to read that over all you enjoyed your stay and will take great pleasure is personally sharing your kind comments with the entire team, as our colleagues take great pride in offering outstanding service. I would also like to thank you again for your understanding with regards to the renovation noise, though we have made every effort to minimize the impact of the jack hammering by limiting it to sporadic periods between 9-5pm I can certainly empathize with your disappointment and I apologize for the disruption to your stay. I am truly looking forward to launching our re-energized product in the very near future and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once again to experience it firsthand. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and if I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived on New Years Eve 2012. It was a 30th anniversary trip for my wife and I. The next day we went to Whistler - a VERY lovely place. The Fairmont is a great hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The view was great and the bed comfortable. My only gripe was the $44 a night parking fee for our rental car - urp!

But the rest of our experience was top notch. Highly recommend.

There was some irritating Hilti hammer drilling going on a couple floors above ours for several hours during the day, but I am a contractor and I well understand the need for construction progress. No big deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view - that in my opinion is the best. Corner rooms are good too.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

From the moment you arrive the service starts, valet / check-in and up to your room quick and effeciant. Our room was unbelievale, we were upgraded to a suite ( big thanks to Ian & Robert ) we were hosting my wife birthday and they had everything set up with plenty of glasses, champagne, ice, etc. Many of our friends and family members were staying at the hotel and were blown away by the service, if you need something you just ask and they will do there best to get it for you. Location is great, and what great views from your rooms how do you beat looking at the water and mountains spectacular.
You won't be disapointed staying at this hotel, we know we'll keep going back

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stay at the Fairmont Waterfront at 4 - 5 times a year - it is definitely my preferred hotel in Vancouver. The service from the staff is unparalleled; I have never had a bad experience in the hotel. The food at Heron's is great - I host many meetings there. The location of the hotel is excellent, I can walk to virtually all of my meetings and it's central for shopping as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of The Fairmont Waterfront for Trip Advisor, I was thrilled to read that we are your preferred hotel in Vancouver. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and if I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had two stays within a couple of weeks. The first was on the 14th floor, and was very disappointing, especially since I had paid extra for an "upgrade"... for a small room with an outdated bathroom and a view of the street. Not sure what I paid extra for and when I commented on it at check-out I received no response. Would have given it 3 stars based on that visit.
But things were much improved on the second visit. This time my room was on the 23rd floor with a spectacular view. The layout of the room was much better, with a larger bathroom. I am surprised though that they still don't have soaker tubs.
Compared to all the other Fairmonts I have stayed at, the service is lukewarm at best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for completing a review of your recent stays with us on Trip Advisor. I was saddened to read that you were disappointed with your guestroom during your first stay, you may be interested to know that we are currently undergoing exciting renovations of several floors of the hotel that will in fact include revamped bathrooms. I would like to apologize that you did not get an adequate response to your question upon checkout, please know this is not the level of service we strive to provide and I will be following up with the front desk team directly. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont Waterfront, I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future; please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com and I will take care of the details personally and ensure you experience the memorable stay that we are known for. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager