“Charming”

Ranked #38 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Ventura, California
“Charming”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I also chose this hotel because of the value and was not disappointed. We stayed here two nights before an Alaskan cruise, arriving at 11:30PM. Two women, we had no trouble walking from the City Centre Skytrain station. Chris(I hope I'm remembering his name correctly), the night staff, was very helpful. We liked the quaintness of the rooms and slept very well. Walking distance to Gastown and the city was definitely a plus. The only noise we had was from the street which is to be expected when you're in the city and sleep with the window open. Breakfast was more than sufficient and we did not wait. All in all,a lovely place and I have already recommended it to others. Can't wait to go back myself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Tereza799, on behalf of Chris and the rest of the staff, we can't thank you enough for such a genuinely flattering review. To receive a comment like yours is high praise indeed and touches all of us. Thank you and we can't wait to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is my first hotel review, even though I had taken this site advice on travel planning several time before.

I stayed at the Victorian earlier this month after disembarking from a cruise. I wanted to spend a few days in Vancouver after the cruise and thought this hotel was in a great location. I like to use public transport when even possible, too, and they are within a couple blocks of several choices, including the Granville Skytrain station. Staff was helpful and knowledgable, pointing me in the right direction and offered a handy map of the area.

Safely was also a concern since I was traveling alone, and I had no fears at this location. I didn't end up going out after dark, but I would have been comfortable taking a taxi back to the hotel after a night out. I felt very secure in my room, front door was also locked after 6:30pm or so (easily to open with the key provided at registration).

I was a little leery about the place because of the lower price point, but decided to book anyway. As it turns out, just the immediate neighborhood was a little rundown, but at no time did I think this fact made my trip any less enjoyable. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I can't wait to visit again.

As for my room, it too was lovely. It had been recently redone, and it was well-appointed, clean and pretty. Brand-new flat screen TV in a lovely armoire, (of course I didn't go to Canada to watch TV).

As for my sleep experience, the bed and pillows were wonderful. Really, like sleeping in a cloud, in fact I would love to find out what line of bedding they use, I want to replicate it. Not much outside noise either, slept like a baby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Patty I
Patty, we are delighted that your stay with us motivated you to write you first hotel review. And what a wonderful one it is. With respect to your question about the bed; you were sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic pillow-top mattress. Sweet dreams are made of these...
Thanks again and keep writing!
Tustin, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Victorian (Sun, May 12th) one night before we were to embark on our Alaska Cruise. We generally had a wonderful experience. The reviews (from this website), price and location (close to the harbor) was the primary reason why we chose this hotel. Sharing a bathroom and shower was not a concern. First I will note the negatives. Given the historical time it was built, the room was of course small, no air-conditioner, walls paper-thin and the floor creeks when you walk on them. Furthermore, the hotel does not have any elevators, which would have been a problem had our room been higher than the 2nd Floor, (although you can get someone to help you with your luggage if you ask). The little room provided for the continental breakfast was not sufficient for everyone, as there were people waiting to get a seat at 7:30 am, Monday morning. Lastly, the area around the hotel was a little dilapidated. However, we did feel safe walking around nonetheless.

With all that being said, the room was quaint and had a sink and a flat screen TV. We had no problem rolling our luggage down the street to the docks from this hotel. Which saved additional costs for a taxi drive just a few blocks away. The staff was very nice. My wife lost her wedding ring down the sink (moment of panic!) and the next morning the manager was able to fish it out without any trouble. Bottom line, for a good price and a short stay, this place was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room if available. Limited space for the continental breakfast, be wary.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dutcher c
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you Dutcher C for taking the time to comment on your stay. Often when people write in I have some doubt about which room they were in. In your case it is clear as I was the one who retrieved your charming wife's wedding band. Those room types are our "double w/shared bath'. They represent our economy offerings and I'm so glad you appreciated the value.
Again, many thanks.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the Victorian in March following a recommendation from a friend. The hotel is great value for money and in a fantastic location, especially for Gastown. The staff were extremely helpful and even cleaned a hirebike for me to cycle the Sea Wall Walk and was well priced (highly recommended!). I had initially booked a small double, which was close to the stairs on the first floor, but after a noisy first night I was moved and upgraded to a larger room on the second floor.

The only thing to be aware of is that there are steep steps to the reception and no lifts inside, which for a female with a bulging suitcase, made it quite difficult to access.

Room Tip: The fans in the bathrooms can be quite load so ideally get a room away from the stairs and bathrooms...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wow MissW123! that's a terrific review. It does the heart good to hear such a positive blast. You write very well, and you're fun to read. From all us us at the Victorian, thank you and hurry back.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We chose this hotel for its price and also convenience to the waterfront passenger terminal and the access to light rail to the airport.
WE made the right choice.
This gorgeous old private hotel has been totally restored and offers all the comforts of modern motels. Rooms not large but plenty of room for the 2 of us plus all our bulky luggage.
We chose a room without ensuite and found that the shared bathroom was spacious, always immaculate and only shared by one or 2 other guests.
A light breakfast is included (cereal, toast, fruit, pastries, tea and coffee but we suggest you avoid the 8am peak period. Breakfast room is not large but a delightful place to make a tea and coffee anytime.
Only 2 blocks from the waterfront/ entertainment and conference centre and light rail terminus.
Buses at front door and many restaurants within 300 meters of hotel.
Staff were extremely helpful with directions and advice for things to do.
WE recommend Victorian Hotel to anyone who seeks quality at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to have a room with shared bathroom. The bathrooms are plentiful and always kept spot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your comprehensive review Gemlister. Your comments speak to a true appreciation of value, comfort and heritage. It's almost like a submission from a travel writer. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and certainly look forward to your return.
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel is within a 10 minute walk to the sky train station and in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Room 103 has 3 bay windows and was surprisingly quiet considering it's proximity to the street. The breakfast in the am was ample with chocolate croissants, bagels, granola, tea, coffee, juice etc. The bed was divine. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DaveKrocker
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so very much for your enthusiastic review Mr. Krocker. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back very soon.
Melrose Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The bed was comfortable and the room and bathrooms were clean. There was a cool suit of armor, which gave the hotel a distinct feel. The staff was friendly and helpful. They gave me directions to tourist spots and suggestions to other things I could do in this great city. Plus the food was tasty.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessie C
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Well thank you so much Jessie C., it's always a pleasure to have such enthusiastic travelers like yourself stay with us. Please come back soon.