“Ideal base for a couple of days in Vancouver”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #40 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Despite reading some very positive reviews of the Victorian here on TA and booking our stay on the basis of them, I have to admit that we didn't expect too much when we walked into the rather old fashioned (some may sat 'quaint') reception and checked in with the slighty brusque (though not rude) east European lady on reception. However, we were delighted to find that our room went way beyond those initial expectations. It was spacious, with a lovely en-suite marble-finished bedroom and an extremely comfortable queen-sized bed - I can't comment on what the older bedrooms may be like but if you're lucky enough to be staying in one of the rooms in the newer annex, you'll have no room for complaint. The other major plus for us was with the breakfast - definitely amongst the best we had on our fortnight's travelling through the Pacific north-west. Fresh strawberries, yoghurt, granola and huge freshly-baked muffins made for a delightful start to the day. The location of the hotel on the edge of Gastown was also ideal, with many points of interest within walking distance; and by booking early we secured a very competitive room rate, making this hard to beat in terms of value-for-money in what is a relatively expensive city. Excellent overall.

3  Thank JimmyTheGent
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Jimmy the Gent,
Thank you so much for your kind words, you are truly a Gent and we are delighted you had a great stay.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent 10 nights at the Victorian, late September/early October, and had a great time. Staff are friendly and were always keen to help with any information we needed. Highly recommend the beds at the hotel whichever room you have. Half the hotel rooms have been refurbished to a very high standard and the others are due to be done very soon. The location is great - so near to everything - buses, ferries, sky train etc. We walked from the station to the hotel. Walking distance to Gastown - the historic district where there are plenty of eating places - we liked the atmosphere at the Old Spagetti Factory which also had an original tram at the centre of the restaurant. If you like cycling, the hotel has a few bikes you can hire and Vancouver is so cycle friendly. Best ride is all around the bay to Stanley Park and beyond. We had two full days on the bikes as there was so much to see and we enjoyed it so much. Look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a little traffic noise. If you want a touch of class, ask about a refurbishe...
1  Thank 694SuzieO

Dear Suzie O, it was such a pleasure to have you and your husband with us. Your unbridled enthusiasm towards seeing the city and your genuine appreciation and positive attitude was infectious. I know I felt a little envious of the great time you both were having. Many thanks, and we hope to see both of you again.
PS your pictures were great!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We've stayed at the Victorian previously and found it delightful even though we chose the shared bathroom option.It was always spotless and never a wait.This time we chose a deluxe king with bath and I must admit,I was shocked by the laxness in cleanliness.We only stayed a night and were busy coming and going so I didn't notice at first but getting ready for bed I saw that the caulking around the sink was filthy.I realize that there is some mold that happens in moisture prone areas but this really needs a good scouring.Also when I took off my my white socks after walking around the room for a bit ,the bottoms were brown! I have hardwood floors at home and there is no excuse for this.The floors can be and should be wiped off between guest stays.
On a positive note,I found the reception staff warm and friendly and the location perfect for exploration.The price is also attractive.Breakfast is decent and substantial enough to start the day.
Please don't let your otherwise respectable reputation fall because of this slip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Wiesia6, thank you for sending us your comments, they are invaluable to us. I wish to offer an apology for the less than immaculate state of your guest room. Our housekeepers pride themselves on keeping the rooms spotless, so your submission is very disappointing to all of us, as everyone knows we are much better than that.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Based on previous ratings, pleasantly surpised. It is a charming hotel. Our room (202) was very well appointed - comfortable, spacious, quiet. I would definitely go back to the Victorian. Good value for Vancouver and good location. For the price, a great place to stay. Friendly service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear GM Kennedy, thank you, we certainly appreciate your comments and are very glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in Victorian Hotel from the 2nd of September to the 11th and was Very happy.
It had a very nice interior, was very clean and very resonably priced.

Pros: Excellent location - Hop off the plane, onto the skytrain then a 5 minute walk from the station. Very close to Gastown without the noise. (Gastown features resturants, shops, bars etc a lovely area). 10 minute walk to Coal harbour, 20-30 minute walk to the aqaurium.

Cleanliness - The downstairs dining area was always clean. Bathroom, showers and my room was ALWAYS kept clean and tidy. You will never not have to ask about towels etc

Comfort - I know its a personal thing, but I was very comfortable with the bed and services

Cons: Stairs - The hotel does not have an elevator, not a problem for me but hey.

Comnunal facilities: Washroom and shower was communal to each floor.

Room Size: Not the biggest rooms I've been in, but resonable

All in all a very pleasant stay, and DEFINATELY would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms are located very close to the washroom and shower, which might be helpful to avoid.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Kalifornia1, we certainly appreciate your comments and are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Walking into the hotel, my partner and I weren't sure what we were getting into. The lobby and stairs appeared to be unfinished or in the final stages of renovation, with exposed drywall in some places.

We booked the Victoria deluxe king room with private bath. When we walked into our room we were very pleasantly surprised. There were three big windows that let in lots of light, and had a mountain view. We could hear sounds from the street in the night, but it wasn't bothersome. That's what you get when you stay downtown! The windows could be opened or closed to let in a breeze or minimize noise from the street if need be. The room was spacious and nicely decorated in a modernized Victorian style. It appeared newly renovated, though it still had the character and charm we were hoping for. The bed and down filled pillows felt really luxurious, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was attractive, with marble and tile throughout. I was pleasantly surprised that the shampoo and conditioner dispensed in the bathroom was natural, locally made in BC and scented with essential oils. Overall the suite totally exceeded our expectations!

I only ate breakfast at the hotel once, and it was simple and good - definitely a step up from the continental breakfasts you would typically find at chain hotels. The fruit, yogurt, and granola I had were great, and the huge banana muffin was a meal in itself. All in all, the hotel's location was very convenient. The lobby and dining room could definitely use some fixing up, but our suite was beautiful and a joy to stay in. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to Vancouver!

1  Thank 06071988

Dear traveler from Edmonton, thank you for your comments and your understanding about our soon to be completed staircase renovations. They are sure to be finished well before your next visit.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

OK. It's a bargain. I'll give you that. Clean and pretty good location for walking to places. Nice people - mostly. Breakfast free..... 0 OJ which I've never heard of in my life! Rooms super cramped and no air-conditioning or source of air which would have enabled me to shut the windows to keep out the street noise. It's RIGHT ON the street. They're trying hard but need some upgrades. Vancouver is an expensive city so.... if you need to save a couple of dollars, it's fine. Plus, they gave me 0!! discount for staying in their place for a week. I don't think that's cool. I wouldn't go again. Private bath! UM... if you want to get up in the middle of the night and walk across the hall it is. OH.... room was very, very cramped with an antique TV and SLOW internet.

Room Tip: If you need a quiet night's sleep make absolutely sure to say so when you make the reservation!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Krazed4koots
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Julie K
Thank you for your writing your guest review. We are certainly happy to know you felt you got a bargain. We offer two distinct room types, luxury and economy and both are considered great values in the downtown hotel market.