“Charming, budget hotel”

Ranked #38 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle
“Charming, budget hotel”
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I stayed at the Victorian for one weeknight in early December and it far exceeded my expectations. I stayed in a King bed w/ bay window room for a very reasonable rate. The room was nice, comfortable, clean, and had a big sink w/ towels provided. The shared bath was always super clean...although I think I may have been the only one using it. The location is great too--will definitely stay there again!

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 23, 2007

The Victorian is a very nice boutique hotel in downtown Vancouver. It is only two blocks away from Gasstown and is very convenient if you don't mind to walk.

I stayed there with my wife for rour nights, two when we arrived to Vancouver and two nights more just before leaving Canada. We booked rooms with private bath, which was just across the corridor. The hotel staff ewas very nice, the room was clean and we enjoyed very much our time there.

The continental breakfast is serevd in teh lobby, which is quite crowded early in the morning, but you can take it to your room. The hotel has no elevator, so you will have to carry your luggages, what can be a nuisance afer twelve hours of flight.

All in all, it is a very good otion if you a re travelling on a budget, but it is OK to save some money, as you will surely need it if are heading to The Rockies or to Vancouver Island.

It is important to reconfirm your reservation a week before your arrival there.

• Stayed September 2006
nc
Reviewed September 27, 2007

We read the reviews and decided to go for the delux room. Wanted proximity and charm but unfortunately we did not get the room we reserved. We reserved over a month ahead of time the delux king room with the large bath on the top floor but were moved with no notification to the king in the basement with the micro bath. They charged us for delux until I brought it to their attention and gave us no reason for the switch. Finally, after I made a stink they gave us an abatement on price. Too late to move we were stuck in the basement and the first night of our vacation was spoiled. Management was defensive and the clerk couldn't issue the refund. Again after a stink she gave us cash because she couldn't authorize a credit card refund , said we would have to wait to am. Won't stay here again as they have no integrity. Be warned , your reservations are worth nothing. And make sure you are being charged a proper room rate.

• Liked — l;ocation
  • Disliked — attitude of staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ktminnc
London
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed in the victorian Hotel for 3 very comfortable nights. We were in a delux room which was very comfortableand clean. The staff on reception were helpful and friendly. We also hired bikes (for free) from reception which were very handy for cycling around stanley park. The location is good and only a short walk to bars and restuarants. There was also free internet access. Defo recommend it.

• Liked — character
  • Disliked — Poor view
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Missymcp
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel: it had great character, attractive rooms, friendly staff and a good location. A room with a shared bathroom was quite affordable (for a downtown hotel) and wasn't much of an inconvenience since there was a sink in our room.

Gated parking was $15 per night and there was a computer available with free internet access for guests.

I wish I could have stayed more than one night!

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Bobby44
Bruxelles
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I was reading some of the reviews, and I felt I had to react. The hotel is much better than the reviews are showing. We stayed there last year and the year before (we came back twice to the same place as we found it was so good value for money). The hotel is one of the cheapest we found. The location is in downtown vancouver, so you can walk every where in the city. Ys, it is in front of the salvation army, but vancouver is a very safe city in general. I was a bit concerned about sharing the bathroom, but I could not believe the cleanliness of those shared bathroom. I don t rember the soap was cheap ... The rooms are small but very nicely decorated. the staff at the front desk is very helpful and one of them (Cecile) gave us some great tips (eg a all you can eat buffet in the same street, a great bakery and lunch restaurant) within walking distance. There is no elevators and no air conditionning but fans are more than enough. The free internet PC is also a great addition. I would definitely go back in the same place again.

• Liked — the victorian style, the staff, the cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Minifee-Europe
Boston
Reviewed August 9, 2007

This was a very charming, European-style hotel close to downtown that I found out about through a travel guidebook. Overall, my husband and I were very pleased with our experience there. The staff was very helpful, the hotel was impeccably clean and the location was central to most of the major attractions in the area. In fact, the hotel offers an information sheet listing important sights and how to get to them by using the many convenient buses close by.
The only downside about staying at the Victorian Hotel is the noise. Because the hotel has hardwood floors--which definitely add to the charm--sound is amplified. If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend ear plugs to avoid being woken up by your neighbors talking and moving around in the room above you in the middle of the night, or other guests taking showers at 4:00 in the morning. Additionally, rooms situated at the front of the hotel tend to get a lot of street noise. Opt for one in the back of the hotel if something like that would bother you.
Oh, and one other thing: The information pamphlet offered by the hotel, as well as the guidebook I was using, said that a continental breakfast was served in the lobby in the morning, which is in fact not the case. Only coffee and tea are provided.

• Liked — Style, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Sound from common areas/other rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple