“Economical, Great Location, Not fancy”

Tropicana Suite Hotel
Ranked #83 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We just stayed overnight at the Tropicana Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver. I booked it because with five adults, we wanted 2 suites where we could have an economical stay while in town for the theatre. It was definitely economical at 149.00 per suite per night. The location is perfect, right close to Denman, Stanley Park, the West end, the beach, and walking distance to downtown. The hotel is adequate. Front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The suites that we had were quite tired and run down. Particularly one, with threadbare sheets and holes in the drapes. Also smelled heavily of previous smokers. We didn't use the kitchen, which was also pretty retro with a stove so old we couldn't even remember the name of that colour of appliance. We had one towel for three adults and when I phoned down to the desk to get more, I was told to come down and get them, which I did. It was a little noisy, but being on Robson you would expect that.
Overall it was fine.. Cheap, convenient, and safe. Just don't expect a luxury hotel. And for anyone sleeping on the fold out couch in the living room, don't expect a comfortable night's sleep!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 17, 2008

The location was very good, within walking distance of Stanley Park, shops, restaurants, marinas and the seabus and public transport in general.

The suites were spacious, with separate bedroom and living room. Ours had a pretty good view to two sides and a very small balcony, just for stepping on to for fresh air. There was lots of storage space and the bathroom was clean. The kitchen was very small but probably adequate. We had no reason to use it.

The buiding itself looked as though it needed updating, and the carpet in the reception area was being replaced while we were there, so perhaps this is a start!

Our only problem was that we had no hot water for 2 days. Interestingly a previous reviewer had the same problem in January this year. Fortunately the weather was warm and we did not need any heating, but we had to boil the kettle to get hot water for washing and the plug in the wash basin did not stay in place, so washing was rather tricky. Unfortunately, no representative from the hotel advised us of the problem, let alone apologized for the situation; we had to ask when the boiler would be repaired.

On checking out, we had to ask for a discount for the inconvenience and we did negotiate one, but we did have to ask. The gentleman who agreed this discount explained that boilers could break down at any time and still did not apologize.

If I were to return to Vancouver I would still consider this hotel, but I would certainly compare the price with others first, and I certainly wouldn't stay there when I may want some heating. It is just too unreliable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Upon arriving to the Tropicana, I had the feeling that I was at a rundown Las Vegas hotel. The dresser is in the livingroom rather than the bedroom and the stove is ancient. After the initial shock, I realized that I have free wifi, which works most of the time but most importantly, I am in the heart of the West End of Vancouver. I am in walking distance of Stanly Park and a simple bus ride away from Grandville Island. Saving money to me is important and Vancouver is expensive. However, for the price (in Vancouver) I feel it is reasonable. The other hotels are charging their guests $15.00 per day to have wireless internet access. I do feel lucky. It is clean here. There is evidence of previous smokers in this room but I would not have known by the smell. I only see the carpet burns on the floor. At a $100.00 per night, which is cheap in Vancouver, it is decent. Your only other choice is to pay $20.00 per night at the local hostels and share a room with 3 other people; that was no deal for me. I have sleeping issues and prefer privacy if I can afford it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AvaChic
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I was in Vancouver in early January 2008. I was originally booked at the Blue Horizon Hotel up the road (at CDN 110 a night) and was extending my stay so wanted a place that was a little cheaper. The Tropicana had availability for about CDN 80 a night and I inspected a suite on the top floor (12th floor).

The building is old but the suite was clean enough with a separate bathroom of a decent size (and more importantly no mould lurking in the corners of the bath / shower), the bed seemed comfortable and the kitchen area serviceable. My only gripe was that the TV was in a separate living area (with a couch) and not in the bedroom. I was travelling by myself and did not require a lot of room, however I can see how a more traditional apartment arrangement would benefit couples or families as there was heaps of room and storage. The suite also seemed quite bright.

Anyway, I went back the next morning to book this suite but was told that the building had no hot water or heating!!! I asked when this was expected to be fixed and the gentleman at the front desk could not tell me when. I said that I was intending to book the suite for a week but this was probably not a good time to do so and he also agreed.

For CDN 40 more a night, I ended up extending my stay at the Blue Horizon (this is a fantastic hotel and was totally worth the extra bucks!)

Incidentally, when I was inspecting the suite, there was also a lift technician visiting the building. Apparently one of the two lifts had stopped working.

My advice to those wishing to book a place in this hotel is to have something in writing from the management, saying that if the hot water system / heating system etc does not work for more than 10 hours (or whatever your tolerance level is), you have the right to terminate your stay, receive a refund for any accommodation paid upfront or a discount for the remainder of your stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank MandyPB
Reviewed November 27, 2007

This hotel is situated in the "buffer zone" between downtown and the West End. Quite a lot is within walking distance -- Stanley Park, downtown (shopping, Art Museum, etc.), Yaletown, Gastown, etc. There are abundant restaurants, bars, etc. within a block or two of the hotel. The area appears to be quite safe. The street (Robson) can be noisy at night, but our hotel room was reasonably quiet for all that. There is free parking, although probably not enough spaces to accomodate everyone when the hotel is full.

The front desk was very helpful and friendly, and the room (including the kitchen) was quite clean.

The rooms are actually suites, with a bedroom, living room and fully-equipped kitchen. (The hotel looks like it might be a converted apartment building.) The living room window opens onto a narrow balcony. There are reasonably nice views of the city and surrounding mountains.

The hotel does show its age. The corridors are rather dark and bleak, the carpets have some old stains, the furniture has some tears in the fabric, etc. The beds, however, were quite nice, with firm mattresses and cozy blankets. The room was the sort of place that was pleasant enough to be in, without holding you back from wanting to head out and explore the city.

Keeping in mind that Vancouver is an expensive city, this is a reasonably priced place for its location, and one I'd stay at again.

• Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank KuruK
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Came to about $80 per night and I was there for 3 or so nights. I simply walked in and they gave me a room on the 12 (which ever is 2nd
from top) floor, overlooking Robson Street. Everything was up to standards and worked beautifully. I asked about the bad comments I've
read and they said that they were renovating at the same time as a busy period. My only complaint is that the pool area has no windows and feels like a dungeon, but if you like to swim alone, it's perfect.

The shower had good power but the water temperature varied slightly -Put it on warm and you'll be fine. Never touched the kitchen and the balcony might be wide enough for a folding chair...maybe.

The breakfast place next door was always closed for some reason but there's a lovely pancake place just down the street, and heck, it's ROBSON street so there are plenty of places around.

Knowing that it is the middle of downtown Vancouver, it was an excellent price for the stay, and a good stay at that.

- Mike

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank Mikemc25
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Based upon previous reviews in trip advisor, we selected this location. The price was right and so were the accommodations.
It was much better than indicated and when next in Vancouver I will return.
Though we didn't drive we were amazed at the parking facility.
Also the pool and laundromat were added luxuries.
WIFI not in rooms YET.. management indicated that will be next improvement. Had to go to lobby to use.

Stayed: September 2007