“Not completely bad - great location!”

Tropicana Suite Hotel
Ranked #81 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
New York
“Not completely bad - great location!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is in a great location (safe too), walking distance in the downtown/Robson area.

Rooms are dated but clean enough. We had a suite with kitchenette with basic necessities (pot, pan, dishrack, etc.), living room overlooking Robson Street and a bedroom with a Queen-size bed in it. We were on the 11th floor but could hear a few people shouting at the street level throughout the night. Free parking in the back.

Carpet in hallways were old with stains, but carpet inside the rooms were fine.

No A/C - if you leave your windows open, pigeons can get inside, if you are not careful.

Can't beat the price for the location though - we paid $159 inclusive of taxes and saved $150 per night (other hotels in the area run $300 including tax. Close to inexpensive restaurants (many Japanese), cafes and shops. Across the street from the Hop On Hop Off bus stop.

Room Tip: Don't keep your windows too wide open - pigeons can get inside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The location is convenient enough for the boutiques of downtown/Robson area as well as the cool cafes and restaurants of West End. If is also an easy walk to beautiful Stanley Park.

The rooms, however, are dated and finishing are raw. There is no air conditioning, which can be frustrating in the hot summer. The kitchenette is poorly equipped as well - the dated kettle and oven looked worn out and we didn't dare use them in case of any danger. There are better choices along Robson Street for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twcsingapore

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Absolutely disgusting hotel. Not only is everything outdated, its also not clean and torn up. The only positive review is the view. Other than that its not worth your money. I am surprised that its not been inspected. It sounds good on paper, but not in real life.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Annie S
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

After 5 weeks of travel with one person it was nice to be in this spacious hotel room (apartment) for 3 nights. The separate living room meant that I could potter around in the morning without annoying my companion who liked to sleep in. The kitchenette meant that if we were staying longer we could have made our own meals, although not necessary on Robson st. Location was perfect, our favourite street in Vancouver. The staff were friendly and happily extended our booking by a night, only charging us slightly more than what we paid on bookings.com.

The rooms however were a bit dated making it seem unclean even though it probably wasn't. The elevator was slow and it was quite noisy outside on Friday and Saturday night. The views weren't quite as spectacular as we had had the previous week across the road at empire landmark. However given the option of tropicana or empire we would probably choose tropicana again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kelly C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I picked this hotel because I was on a tight budget, wanted to be downtown, and wanted to park my car at the hotel without paying an extra $35.

Although I typically gravitate toward 3-4 star lodging, given my limited funds for the weekend, and the small amount of time I planned to be in the hotel (I really just needed a place for me and my car to sleep), I girded my loins and made plans to slum it at the Tropicana Motor Inn.

The Tropicana is a place I remembered walking by during other visits to Vancouver (what a great city!), as the awful looking dive in a fantastic location. From its looks, I'd always assumed it was low-income housing. I think I'm right about that, but it's also a low income hotel.

Bottom line: I was absolutely thrilled with how much I got, for what I paid. This place has gobs of value oozing out of it.

I tried to book directly through the front desk, but was told there weren't rooms available (it was a festival weekend). I then went to Priceline, planning to bid on downtown hotels, but found that Priceline was offering a room at the Tropicana...score!

I was given a room on an upper floor, and by "room" I mean: a bedroom, a living room, bathroom and kitchen. Space galore at a very bargain price. It's a small furnished apartment that is being rented out as a hotel room.

Oh, the views were to die for! The best city views I have had in my life. Being a corner apartment, there were large windows that faced south, west and north, and with the windows open, the breezes ripped through the apartment necessitating holding the interior door open with a book/brick. How absolutely refreshing on a summer's day. Incredible ventilation, and such a wonderful change from the sealed windows in most hotels.

The views (at least from the upper floors), the breezes, the cost (which includes parking), and the location cannot be beat by any other hotel in Vancouver.

Other good things:

Wooden hangers- which I totally would not have expected.

Blackout curtains.

Good enough bedside tables and reading lamps.

The kitchen is basic, and a bit worn looking, but clean. It comes with a four burner stove, oven, midi-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I think it would be doable, but challenging, to cook family meals there; sort of like travel-trailer cooking.

Even at the bargain price, the room came with soap, shampoo, a hair dryer, and better-than-the-cheapest toilet paper.

Shall I mention again, how very, very terrific the location is? So terrific! Right in the thick of things on Robson.

Not so good:

Parking is limited, and there was only one open space when I arrived in the afternoon. I don't know how they handle parking overflow.

The bed was a bit too firm for my liking (I do like soft beds), and the pillows too thick and firm for my comfort.

Housekeeping could have been a bit better: I found a bobby-pin next to the bed, and the carpet is spotted. (But the bathroom was sparkly clean, although honestly, I don't recall much sparkle.)
But no leftover hairs, no bedbugs.

My next trip to Vancouver, even with a thicker wallet, I'm going to make a high-floor, corner room at the Tropicana my first choice. However, I don't think I would be nearly as enthusiastic if the room had been on a lower floor. As I booked through Priceline, I think I just lucked out about the room assignment.

Room Tip: A major part of the pleasure of staying here were the incredible 270+ degree views from a high level...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank 133travels
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I'll keep it brief b/c I think I'd echo a lot of the other reviews. We were in a front corner on the 11th floor and the view from the sitting room and bedroom were amazing! We only stayed for a night but there's plenty of room to spread out if you were there for longer. We didn't have a car and walked about 6 blocks from the train station. We easily walked to Stanley Park, walked to dinner and the waterfront. We watched the sunset from the bedroom and it could not have been a better view for $100/night. The carpet and some of the furnishings are pretty tired, but my main concern was the sliding glass doors opening onto a faux balcony with rusty railings and no screen. We don't have kids, but I would think this could make a parent pretty nervous!

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JerseyGirl5781
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a fantastic location in Vancouver. We had a room on the 10th floor with a view of the harbor which we enjoyed very much. There is also parking on the premises, which is very helpful. We were able to walk to almost anywhere downtown from our apartment. The front desk gave us great information about restaurants nearby.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, including the ladies who cleaned our rooms each day.
The reason I am giving this a 3 rating, is that the hotel needs to invest a bit in renovations. For example, I had to fetch an iron downstairs, and it was in a really bad condition (basically broken). I had to cart it all the way up and take it back again as there is none provided in the rooms.
The kitchen was sparsely equipped, with no kettle (so you have to use the microwave to heat water). the furniture can do with a bit of a re-upholstery.
So although everything was spotless and clean, we think the hotel charges a bit too much for what it offers (despite the location). However, we recommend this especially for a longer stay (we were there for about one week).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor and also on the top floors to enable you to have an excelle...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business