“Distant from Centre”

Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Milton Keynes
“Distant from Centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

My first experience of HI Express.A friendly welcome on arrival, room no ready but luggage stowed away.Room a good size, a little dated but cleanA comfkrtable king sized bed, no safe but iron & ironing board & coffee maker.A buffet breakfast with good hot selection.An enjoyable stay.

e

• Stayed August 2014
Matt S, Manager at Atrium Inn Vancouver, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased your first experience with us and the brand was an enjoyable one. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Waikoloa, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

The hotel is about 5 miles from city center. So you have to have a car, take the bus, or a taxi to get into town. I wish I had thought of that during my short visit recently. I would have ruled this place out and paid the extra money to stay downtown so I could walk around to see the sites.

I think the rooms are nice and most of the property is well maintained. The breakfast area was a bit shabby.

The A/C was terribly noisy. The work around was to take the room down to freezer temperature while you were gone and turn it off when you come back. My room was on Hastings and it was very noisy at night even with ear plugs. They couldn't move me because the hotel was sold out.

The staff was very helpful and pleasant.

There is a very good Vietnamese restaurant across the street. I don't usually go to this type of restaurant but I enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from Hastings as possible.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are truly sorry this wasn't the location you were hoping for. Hopefully you were able to take full advantage of our complimentary shuttle service into downtown. Apologies for the room A/C, unfortunately we are in the process of waiting for an approval on renovations and your concerns have all been addressed in our proposal. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and next time we will do what we can to get you on the back side of our hotel to aid in your sleep needs.
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

I had to book this hotel only a few weeks before arriving, so was stuck for choice given my budget, however I wish I had paid a bit more to stay somewhere close to restaurants and other things to do. I had already spent a few days at a hotel on Burrard St with so much around, but couldn't continue staying once my friend had left, which is how I ended up moving to the Holiday Inn Express.
Being a solo traveller I was reluctant to go out late, so ended up in my room for most of the night, but I didn't love being stuck in my room all that much either.
During the day, there are several buses that run from right out the front of the hotel that will take you downtown, and getting around was quite easy but just time consuming.
The hotel lobby is lovely, but once you get in the elevator you can see that the hotel needs a bit of work. My room had 2 air conditioners, the main system seemed to be broken so I also had a portable unit coming out of the window. This was really noisy and super strong, so I ended up sleeping with earplugs. There was a note in the room that said all valuables must be left at the safety deposit box, otherwise no responsibility would be taken for their safety, however they could not fit my valuables in there - I was told there was only enough space for a purse or similar.
My experience was not horrible by any means, but I have definitely had better experiences with the Holiday Inn in other Cities.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Matt S, Manager at Atrium Inn Vancouver, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
I am very sorry that we weren't able to make your stay an exquisite one. We try our best to do this for all our guests, but sometimes we fail to meet all needs/wants. Well our area does have an amusement park and bars in the close vicinity, this of course isn't what everyone wants or needs. We hope that we were able to help you have some enjoyment while staying with us.
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Needed a place to stay for 2 nights in August before going on a cruise to Alaska. Picked this location because it was relatively close to downtown where we would embark at Canada Place, but not at the cost of downtown hotels. Since we were renting a car to explore areas around Vancouver, having free parking was key. Located on busy street, surrounded by working-class neighborhoods. Not a fancy neighborhood but did not feel unsafe. We got a room in the back so it was quiet, but I suspect might be noisy facing the street.

Likes
* Free underground secure parking
* Free Wi-Fi, one of the fastest (12+ Mps) hotel Wi-Fi I have used!
* Free decent breakfast
* Comfortable bed and pillows
* In-room coffee
* Nice lobby
* Friendly staff

Neutral
* No in-room safe
* No microwave or refrigerator
* Eateries within walking distance, nothing fancy
* Large flat panel TV but no HD signal

Dislikes
* Carpeting 'wrinkled' and a few holes
* Décor, bathroom and furniture showing age, clean enough but some stains

Summary
Not as nice as other Holiday Inn Express we have visited in other countries. This place is not fancy and rooms need remodeling, but priced reasonably, comfortable enough.

Room Tip: Room in the back, away from street would be quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Well our area is mostly a residential one, we are quite pleased to have an amusement park right next door and a sports bar right next door to us as well for good eats and a fun time.
As for our rooms, we are waiting for an approval from upper management to undergo renovations and updates. We hope to see you again in the future.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

So arrived at 2 am needing sleep with a family of 5 plus 3 pets and 2 trucks with 2 trailers.We were lost no map or GPS the clerk sat on the phone with me and gave me directions to the hotel twice. Upon arrival he was in the road waving us down. He helped us park our vehicles, which was very tight. He got us into a pet friendly room and a cheaper rate. Comfy room, a little snug for a big family like mine. Accommodations were good clean and I would return there if ever in Vancouver.

1 Thank Chris S
I am very happy to hear that our staff went above and beyond. We try our best to please our guests and make them feel as warm as if they were at home. Your kind words have been passed on to our auditor who is very pleased to have made your stay a more welcome and enjoyable experience. We hope to see you in your future travels.
Kamloops, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

If you are planning on visiting Playland/PNE, or if you are just travelling through and don't plan on doing a bunch of sight-seeing, then this property is a good location.

The only positive things I can say about this property (our 3rd visit) is that we appreciate the free parking and the breakfast. Unfortunately, the place is in need of much updating and general maintenance. The executive rooms are larger than the standard, but that's about it. Loud A/C unit made for a poor sleep.

Room Tip: Probably rooms facing away from Hastings will be quieter.
1 Thank cynlouhoo
Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel is a very prime location for any playland/pne travelers. I am glad to hear our parking facilities and location meet your satisfaction and needs.
The rooms, we are waiting for an approval for renovations from upper management. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you consider us in the future once we have undergone the necessary updates.
VA Beach, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed in Vancouver at the end of a landtour/cruise to Alaska. I made reservations in September 2013 for a room with two double beds for two nights. Lo and behold, when we arrived and checked in, we were given one queen bed. After complaining, we were "upgraded" the second night to the "Presidential Room" on the second floor which had a king bed, sitting room and mini kitchen. Both rooms were extremely dark (even with ALL the lights on). The "Presidential Room" has an outside light that can't be turned off and the shades don't pull completely shut. When I booked this hotel, I didn't realize just how far it is from downtown... I should have realized there was some reason for the lower price! They do provide a free shuttle to downtown; a taxi ride back costs about $20.

Room Tip: Don't get stuck on the second floor completely to the right as you exit the elevator; it is abov...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt S, Manager at Atrium Inn Vancouver, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We are very sorry about your room inconvenience and the fact that it did not meet your standards. We have addressed these issues with upper management and have added a few of these issues to our renovation proposal. We hope to have this fixed soon as we are waiting for approval from upper management.
We are glad to hear you were able to use our convenient shuttle service to downtown while staying with us.
Hopefully you will give us a try after we have undergone our proposed renovations.