“Close to Everything We Needed”

Atrium Inn Vancouver
Ranked #55 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Comox, Canada
“Close to Everything We Needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

This hotel is perfectly located for the PNE, Pacific Coliseum, Playland and Empire Field (we were there for the Whitecaps season opener). It is literally steps from the main entrance to the PNE. It only took us about a 10 minute walk to Empire Field- even with all of the crowds. Access is easy if coming from the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal.

When I made the reservation on the internet, I requested a room in the back, in case of street noise and that is exactly what we got. The room was spacious enough for the 4 of us and the desk and free internet access were perfect since one of our daughters had to work on an essay while there. We heard no noise from any neighbours, either beside us, above us or below us. The beds were comfy and there were enough toiletries and towels. My only complaint about the room was that the heating unit was rather loud (athough it was efficient). Luckily, it was warm enough that we slept at night without it on.

The area is great for restaurants. You can eat just about anything, from fast food, to Vietnamese, Chinese or Japanese, to Italian to plain old western. We walked about a block and a half west to the second Vietnamese restaurant on the same side of Hastings. It was full of locals (usually a good sign). For the four of us to have dinner, with tip, it was only $40!! There are also a number of shops, a Shoppers and a London Drugs all within a couple of blocks. There are a few homeless people around some of the stores - especially the liquor store (surprise, surprise) and London Drugs. However, none of them were aggressive and simply stood or sat there with their hands or hats out. They did not scare us at all.

There are not alot of touristy kinds of things to do within walking distance - with the exception of the fair, sports events etc. at the earlier mentioned venues. You will likely have to drive to see other attractions. It took us 10 and 20 minutes to get to a couple of malls. If we come back to see any of the nearby events again, we will certainly stay here, without any hesitation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Comoxbox
HIEVancouver, Director of Sales at Atrium Inn Vancouver, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for your comments! I am happy you found our location so convenient to all of your needs. It is fantastic being so close to Empire field and the PNE/Coliseum - when you stay here you can enjoy our complimentary parking and simply walk to those venues. For your next visit, take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to take you downtown or to a skytrain station to get you to most of the tourist attractions or shopping areas that are not in our neighbourhood. There are also wonderfiul companies such as West Coast Sightseeing that will pick you up right here at the door and get you out and about around the city! You are also very correct about all the great food in the area - many choices. From the complimentary hot Express Start breakfast we offer (with guest room charge), to the Pressbox pub next door plus all the variety of restaurants in surrounding few blocks.

All the very best and again thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Royce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I were visiting some friends and had decided to stay in the city. As we were planning on having a few drinks we thought it best to stay at a hotel. The people at the desk were very nice and helpful. I travel a lot on business and this was one place I thought that others should know. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. We wil stay again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChristyB44
Fircrest, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Vancouver. It’s a great location within walking distance to Pacific Coliseum, the Canucks Outlet store and restaurants. Add the HIE standards of free parking, breakfast and Wi-Fi and you’re set. However we found the front desk to be inattentive. We weren’t told where to find the breakfast, or what times it was open. I had to ask three people where the business center was to find out that it was out of service. Our room was nicely laid out, but not sparkling clean. The hallway carpet was stained so badly my husband commented on the dirt and he normally doesn’t notice that things aren’t clean. All in all our stay was fine, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traci422
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown Vancouver, but well worth it, given it's free parking and lower prices. The rooms were clean and had decent accommodations, including a soft bed, and various amenities, including a sewing kit, shower gel, etc. for the bathroom, and stapler, post-it notes, clips, etc for the desk. The underground parking is a bit tight, but hey, it's free. The free breakfast was fairly decent for this chain, and included hot food such as eggs, sausages, and simple cheese omelets. Nothing fancy, but better than Hampton Inns, for example. And yes, the heating units in the room are quite loud, but they did not keep me awake at night, like some other light sleepers have mentioned in previous reviews.
The best part about this hotel is its residential/commercial location. Only a few blocks away are many ethnic restaurants and stores, including Mexican, Vietnamese, Italian, Burmese, Chinese, Thai, Polish, Greek, etc. as well as Starbucks, other coffee houses and fast food, drug stores, etc. A nice evening stroll will give you a chance to see an authentic side of Vancouver you will not see in downtown or the touristy areas.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmilCA
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

No complaints about the actual room itself, it was clean and housekeeping did a great job. However, it was so loud we couldn't sleep. Not because of traffic, but because of the heating system!!! No parking except for underground which our truck did not fit in. Continental breakfast barely edible, and front desk service was not good. Would only return out of convenience of location, but that is a big if.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
bothell, wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

First the good - the room was clean and well appointed. The fitness center was quite well equipped and not busy. Now for the rest...I had a room on the 2nd floor facing Hastings Street. Unless you enjoy sleeping on a street corner do not book a room facing the street at this hotel. The room has sliding glass doors that technically don't open but the sound is such that it feels like they are wide open. Hastings street is on a very busy bus route with lots of street people and yelling going on all night long.
I went to the front desk after my first night and requested another room on the other side of the hotel. Rene told me that she would check and get back to me. I checked with her three more times before I left the hotel for the day around 9am. She didn't have anything to tell me before leaving but asked for my cell phone # and said she would call me "either way" to let me know. I didn't hear anything and returned around 3:30pm. I was told they had a room on the other side and asked if I wanted to move now? I said sure and was holding out my hand to accept the key to the new room when I was informed that another woman had just been booked into that very room right before my eyes! I reminded them that I had been waiting all day for some kind of transfer but all I got were blank stares.
A manager later came to my room to ask if he could make things up for the "miscommunication". I said no I just wanted a quiet night's sleep at least a sleep without sirens blaring outside my window all night.
You have been warned....I don't write many reviews- only if they are outstanding or very wrong and this one was very very wrong.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank barb3073
canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

stayed twice during july '10 and was pleased both times. It is best to get rooms with higher floor to reduce street noise, though the hotel is not that tall (5 floors, i think), but it does make a difference. Check in was fast and there's covered, underground, secured parking. Rooms were clean, spacious, the biggest disappointment would be the wireless internet, slooooooow, no really sloooooooow even in the common areas like lounge and lobby.
Bartender Tim is a wealth of knowledge of the area and can help pass the time.
secured room for bicycles
on site guest laundry
starbucks kiddie-corner
overall a very good place to stay for less than expected...will be back

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple