“Classy, comfortable, convenient & charming” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Edmonton, Canada
“Classy, comfortable, convenient & charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

An unforgettable stay at the Sylvia with my parents when I was 12 stuck with me and had me dreaming of repeating the experience for my 50th birthday! Dreams came true and I fell in love with this "classy dame" all over again! Beautiful Stained glass accents, castle like stone architecture and rich furnishings greeted us after pulling up to the antebellum virginia creepered exterior. Checking in on Friday, Jan. 24th I asked if our room faced the ocean as it was my birthday on Sunday and I had wanted to wake up to see it. They quickly checked and explained that they only had a room with a view for 1 night which was smaller than our current room, and we would have to move back on saturday, so we chose to stay in our reserved room. Our room was lovely and although recently updated and painted, still retained the original doors and knobs and handles which was a beautiful antique touch. The beds with their pillow tops andheavenly pillows made for 2 wonderful nights sleep. Not ten minutes after we had unpacked there was a knock at the door and I was greeted by an employee asking if someone was celebrating a birthday, I admitted it was me and he proceede to hand me a card and wish me many happy returns then reached beside him and pulled out a tray with complimentary champage, 2 strawberry graced flutes and sparkling water and fresh orange juice for our youngster! The card welcomed me back (I had mentioned my stay long ago) and was handwritten, gracious and sincere. The whole experience sang with class and a feeling of homecoming and I was touched beyond words. The location of this lovely lady allowed us many avenues to adventure; to walk right across the street to the beautiful beach at English Bay ( where the sunsets are incredible) or just down the road to Denman street with its restaurants, Robson with its shopping or right down Beach avenue to the False Creek Ferries launch and across to Granville Island or the Maritime Museum! As we hadn't rented a car, this location was perfect for our family of 4 :) Given that the hotel is right next to Stanley Park, I had thought it might be noisy, but the only sound we heard was the gulls heralding the sunrise! We treated ourselves to breakfast in the hotel on the Saturday morning and were rewarded with excellent, friendly, professional and funny service, and the most delectable crab stuffed omlette in the world! All the while drinking our lattes and taking in the view of English Bay through the huge plate glass windows! I couldn't have asked for a better birthday experience and certainly won't wait another 40 years before I return "home" to the Sylvia again! Thank you :)

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor facing SE and although not a direct view of the ocean, could see it easily...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Happy 50th, it is nice to be able to spoil yourself on birthdays, I do the same. I have to say that I enjoyed reading your comments, you must write for a living as the comments were well written and would make me want to come to the Sylvia and I work here. I have to say that all your comments are correct about location and convenience for all family members. What I liked the most was the fact that you were taken care of and that we exceeded your expectations. My staff is very caring and does their best to make every stay a memorable one. I agree that you should not wait another 40 years to return. Again, wishing you happy birthday from all my crew to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We spend the night of the 31st of Jan. 2014 at the Sylvia as we have done for several years. The best part of staying there is the positive communication between staff members of all departments. Everyone was so kind and treated us like family; from the check in desk to the cleaning staff and the dining staff. The room was clean and welcoming. The visit was wonderful. Thanks again!

1 Thank Jean2014152
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank-you for your wonderful comments and rating. Welcome back, I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and recognize the hard work of the crew to make your stay one to remember. We will be here to serve you on your next visit.
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Sylvia was built somewhere around 1900 and, understandably, sometimes requires work. We have stayed at the Sylvia for over 20 years and will continue to do so. The Sylvia is doing fairly extensive repair work on the brickwork on the SW side of the building - facing toward Denman. We were in a room where the workers were about 30 feet from our window and continued working, fairly noisily, until after 8 p.m. in the evening. The staff at the Sylvia were concerned, hadn't been told by the contractor they would be working that late, however...... it affected our enjoyment of the stay. They moved us the next day to a much nicer room higher up on the northeast corner. Unfortunately, someone started tapping with a hammer somewhere nearby in the building at about 7:30 the next morning. We are planning on staying there late in February, but, be forewarned, they are doing construction. I love staying there but wouldn't advise eating there. We had nachos in the evening during the live music - most of the cheese wasn't even melted and we had a light breakfast - wouldn't do that again - go to Starbucks. The service was very slow and the toast and scone were marginal at best. Oh, and the fire alarm in our first room started beeping at about 8 in the morning - apparently low battery plus dust!

Room Tip: The suites on the front over the 4th floor have a wonderful view of English Bay and have kitchens if...
1 Thank David I
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Yes we are doing some renovations which had to be done because as you mentioned the building is over 100 year old and needs some improvements to be able to stay around for another 100 years. I am sorry that it affected your stay. The construction has been ongoing for months now and we have had very little disturbances and guests don't seem to mind as the work is done during the day when most people are out. Go over the comments over the past two months and the Reno's are barely mentioned. The night they worked until 8 was an exception as they ran into so some unforeseen issues that could not wait until the next day. I was happy to read the staff listened to your concerns and did their best and moved you to another room. There is no good time of year to do the work required but I can assure you we are all working hard to keep our guests informed and the construction crews have been very accommodating in keeping the noise, dirt and understanding that we are still open and guests comfort is OUR HIGHEST PRIORITY. The work is only being done on the outside of the east wall and most of our guests do not even know that work is being done unless they go outside and see the shrink wrap. We appreciate your 20 years of staying with us and we hope that we will see you again soon. I am concerned about your comments on the food, we have improved the menus since our new chef was hired and I have been getting great reviews and other guests have written comments on this site to verify that. I would be interested in hearing more about why you feel that why and I will forward your concerns to the food and beverage manager and chef as I know they would be very interested in why your experience was so different than others, so call or write me if you would like to talk. Thank-you for taking the time to write.
Garden Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We almost always stay at the Sylvia when we go to Vancouver. It's old world charm,comfortable rooms, great food and ambience, and excellent service all recommend it. And let's not forget the great location - right on English Bay, easy walking distance to Stanley Park or downtown - why would you stay anywhere else? There are lots of shops and excellent restaurants nearby as well.
We have an additional reason to be very happy with the Sylvia. Recently we were in Vancouver due to a serious medical emergency with a close family member. When I mentioned this while booking the room, they said they would give us a special rate for the night - greatly reduced. And then they upgraded us to a suite. That was above and beyond any concept of good customer service.
We HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old section - they have more character and often a view of the water.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank FishermansBC
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank-you for your great comments about your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that the reason you had to stay with us was for medical reason. Maybe next time it will be a pleasure trip. Thank-you for mentioning the service offered by my crew, they all work hard to exceed guest’s expectations. Thank-you for the recommendation and hope that we will see you again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Sylvia Hotel is a very special place, which we return to time and again because of its charm, friendly and helpful staff and great views from the bay side rooms.

We have enjoyed staying in various configurations of suites in the hotel and, recently, in a room on the 8th floor, overlooking English Bay on a truly splendid day.

We will be back soon!

1 Thank LoveTravel032
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank-you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the Sylvia hotel. By reading your comments it looks like you had a great time and enjoyed the service from the staff. Our location is great and being a heritage site does offer a pace from days gone by and still offers the charm of the past. Great scores and rating and we hope to see you again soon. Remember to book directly with the hotel for the best rates
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I recently had to be in Vancouver for medical reasons. A reservation was made well in advance to feel organized and calm. A day trip was even undertaken ahead to check out which accommodation would work best for myself and a friend.. So, I looked forward to a quiet, calm, stress-free stay in accommodation with two beds and a kitchen, prepared ahead for a guest with scent/chemical allergies.

Instead, the Sylvia Hotel felt it appropriate to first, before arriving, argue about my reservation (blaming a reservation agent) - before agreeing to honour as I thought I had booked. Then, and only on arrival, inform that construction was ongoing since December with scaffolding, noise, and with workers walking in front of the accommodation windows. On viewing our booked accommodation this was indeed the case, with the windows filthy too.

As another quiet room with two beds and a kitchen had not been set aside, accommodation with only one bed and a pull-out sofa (full of food crumbs when opened) in a small sitting area plus kitchen, and which had not been cleaned ahead for scent/chemical avoidance, had to be accepted. A water view (with our plans - mostly only seen at night) was a plus, but came with busy street noise.

Very poor customer service under normal circumstances, but given the reason for visiting Vancouver, particularly concerning !!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hornbyisl
I am sorry that you felt that you did not get great customer service that we are known for. Guests are told when booking that we do not guarantee room locations only room types. This is because we have so many guests extend their stays so with limited room types are in high demand and rooms with a view are often requested but only a limited number of rooms have views. We do our best to match requests with the room types available each day, sometimes we are just not able to meet all requests. The renovations are being done at this time of year (because we have less guests at this time of year) and we are doing our best to keep the guests interruptions to a minimum, so far we have not had guests even comment on the construction. I am sorry that it affected your stay. We hope that we will see you again (maybe after the Reno's have been completed)?
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

The Sylvia Hotel is a great little hotel. It has a fabulous location -- near Stanley Park, view of English Bay, a short walk to great restaurants and shops. It is a quiet spot and offered a good night's sleep. We had a lovely time in the lounge having a nightcap and overlooking the lights of English Bay. It is very charming! We stayed as part of Dine Out Vancouver -- highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank-you for the kind words about your stay. The dine out package is very popular at this time of year. The views from the lounge at night are great even on raining or foggy nights. I would suggest that you join us on Wednesday or Thursday nights for the live entertainment. The location is great for so many reasons, thank-you for mentioning it. We will look forward to your return visit to the Sylvia; we have been here for 100 years and hope to be here for the next 100 years.