“Great view from room and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“Great view from room and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We came here 2 years ago because we have a dog in our life that we don't leave behind. The other hotel we used to come to wouldn't let "Jack" come. What a great find. Old charming hotel close to Stanley Park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Colleen G
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Yes we are a pet friendly hotel and have been since 1960? I think, I believe we are the only hotel that does not charge for pets, some hotel charge $25.00 per night per pet or more, we do not think that is right, pets are a part of the family in our opinion. Happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the view, English bay is right across the street and Stanley park is just 3 blocks away. We hope that you will be back soon and remember always book directly with the Hotel to get the best rate and room type, we do not put all room types and sizes on line.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

It's an old hotel. And that is part of why I love it. If you want to spend your time (and huge $$$) in a hotel devoid of personality then go somewhere else. I have been staying here for 30 years and I love that it doesn't change much. Of course there have been improvements - it is clean and friendly and has lots of amenities. The location is FANTASTIC! Get a room with a view and it's amazing. Right on English Bay - hours of walking available right across the street (the sea wall) - and convenient to tons of transit options to get you wherever you need to go. A short walk along the water and you're at a lovely ferrry service that takes you right to Granville Island or further (the science centre etc). The staff are helpful and friendly and ... it's just great. Stay here.

Room Tip: I'm sure there are rooms that have been updated more recently than others. They have suites wit...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BeaC2013
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review and for staying with us over the past 30 years. A well written and fair review in my opinion. The room’s sizes and bathroom sizes do vary room to room which is a part of the charm of a heritage site hotel. I am very proud of the service my staff offer and the friendliness and caring attitudes that they bring to their work every day. Location is great and it is easy to get around Vancouver from the Sylvia hotel location. We will do our best to earn your business for the next 30 years. Please hurry back.
Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel was lovely! Very old world charm mixed with wonderfully friendly staff. The Sylvia is very dog friendly and the room I stayed in with my sister even had a queen size bed for my labrador. There no pet fees and they treated my dog like an actual guest. The location of this hotel is perfect! I would recommend this hotel for people who have dogs and want to walk them along the seawall, people who want to be close to Stanley Park, people who like to visit restaurants, shops and relax/read in the hotel. This hotel isn't equipped with a spa, pool, movie centre or anything high tech but it doesn't need it. Not when you are looking for quiet time or nature out the front door. The beds were comfortable, rooms were very clean, spacious and the food was gluten free and delicious. We had a VERY enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Room 808! 3 queen size beds and LARGE room. Looks over the city and it was a very quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Heather M
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am so happy when our guests bring their pets to the Sylvia Hotel, we are the only hotel in Vancouver that we are aware of that does not charge for pets. The location is great for people and pets to walk across the street to the beach and Stanley Park. Thank-you for mentioning the charm and service offered by the staff, we all work very hard to exceed our Guest expectations. Thank-you for including a few photos from your stay and we look forward to your return visit to Vancouver.
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Large, comfortable rooms with character & set right on English Bay. This is a wonderful location if you want to explore the area - you can walk to Stanley Park along the sea side in about 20 minutes. It's also well appointed for shops & restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 306KarenK306
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank-you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. So happy that you enjoyed your stay and you gave us a good rating. Always remember to book directly with the hotel to get the best rates and room types as we do not always offer all room types on third party web sites. Hope you will be back soon.
Victoria bc canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Great pet friendly hotel. Amazing location with in walking distance to a variety of shopping and restaurants. Staff was super friendly. Spoiled our dog Luna with treats. Room was very clean and bed was super comfy. Great rates. Would definitely stay there again. :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ilovemydogluna
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
I was happy to read that you brought your pet on this visit. We are a pet friendly and I think the only hotel in Vancouver that does not charge for pets. The location is great for pets and guests as well. We hope that you will return soon and thank-you for taking the time to write a review and you kind words and scores.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Sylvia fairly oozes old world character and charm. Its location is unbeatable, on English Bay, next to Stanley Park, an easy walk or short bus ride to downtown, with a wide variety of excellent restaurants and shops nearby on Denman, Robson and Davie Streets. My room was well-appointed and surprisingly large for the price - off-season rates are more than reasonable. The staff were pleasant and helpful. It was unfortunate that my stay was rather spoilt when I found and killed a cockroach in my room on the first day, and presented it to reception, thinking they would probably want to know about a possible infestation. They said they would take (unspecified) action, but I believe pest-control chemicals were introduced into the room in my absence, because every day thereafter (for four days) I woke up with a splitting headache, something I never get. They deny having done this, but to be on the safe side, I would recommend asking for a change of room if the same should happen to you. Either that or just don't report anything.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
I see that you enjoyed your stay with us for the full four days you booked. You and I have sent back and fourth emails about your comments of a cockroach in your room. As I said in my emails to you, we had our professional pest control company come to the hotel on two occasions to follow up and they nor my staff could find a cock roach anywhere in the hotel and we looked back three years and no evidence of cockroaches ever at the Sylvia in the time period. As I also said we nor the pest control company sprayed anything in your room as we do not spray unless the need has been verified and since no issues were found no spray was used or needed. Your threat to write a bad review on trip advisor unless you were offered four free nights was unacceptable to me. We take all concerns of our guests very seriously and we do follow up on all issues brought to my attention. In short I do not know why you had a headache but I can assure you that we did not spray chemicals in your room. I appreciate your business but we will not he held hostage for a discount if threatened by a bad review on trip advisor. Should you have any new information of want to speak to me please call me directly.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were only in Vancouver for two days and this grand old hotel made our visit quite successful. The room was a bit old-fashioned, but that's what we were expecting. The restaurant had a delightful menu and the waitstaff were very pleasant. We had a slight view of English Bay and really enjoyed being so close to Stanley Park.

Room Tip: This is a delightful grand old hotel. If you are expecting state-of-the-art amenities this may not...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I hope that you will return for more than two days on your next visit. Thank-you for taking time to write a review, remember to always call the hotel directly to get the best rates and room types. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service and menu in the Restaurant. Nice review and comments. See you again soon.