“Perfect location”

Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect location”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel is in the ideal location to explore Vancouver, the West End, Stanley Park, Robson Street and is located near to many exquisite restaurants and bars. The lounge at the Sylvia is situated right across the street from the beach and is a great place to 'people watch' for hours. The restaurant is pleasant and has some good standards like the braised shortribs. The only drawback to the hotel is some of the rooms are a little outdated but work in continueing to bring them all up to date.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I also enjoy people watching from the Restaurant and Lounge as people walk and run along the beach on their way to Stanley Park. The food is great thanks for mentioning it; I will pass along your comments to the Food and Beverage Manager and Chef. The rooms in the hotel are not all the standard size as we have so many room types that if you require a curtain size or have special needs always ask the staff and they will looking what is available to try and match your needs to the available room inventory. We hope you will return for another visit and stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We loved our stay at Sylvia Hotel! The location on English Bay is great for watching sunset, taking walks and relaxing after a day of touring Vancouver. This was our second stay & the "family room" in corner of 7th floor was roomy (separate bedroom with double bed) with beds for couple and 2 adult kids. Lots of windows and no air conditioning, just fresh air. 1 block off Denman St. where there are lots of small restaurants, bars and even Safeway. We used bus, taxi, and walking to get around town. Great stay for reasonable rate in big city!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as it's nice to open windows, but can get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lucklulu
Thank-you for writing a view about your stay with us. I was happy to read that you were able to get around the city and come back to enjoy the food and beverage in the hotel and night and see the beautiful sunsets of English Bay. I have noticed more and more commenting how much they love the fact that they can open the windows for fresh air instead of the forced air from an AC unit. We all hope to see you again soon.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

love this hotel, quaint charm with modern day amenities. Service was very courteous and all of our needs were accommodated The location is the best for all of your needs, including the fireworks and the Pride parade, My only request would be to clean the carpet in our room but other than that this will be the hotel of choice when staying in Vancouver ..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank-you for taking time to write a review. I see you were here for fire works and the pride parade. What a great time to be in Vancouver, and to be at the Sylvia so close to all the action is a bonus. I will look into your concern about the carpet? Thanks for mentioning it. Hope to see you again soon.
Victoria, BC
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked at the Sylvia in December for the fireworks night on August 3rd. I received an email confirmation the day before. Imagine our shock when we arrived a bit early to learn that the hotel had overbooked and did not have a room for us! They even had a manager of another, much less quality hotel, at the desk, waiting to walk me over to his hotel. The front desk person kept saying, "It's $100.00 cheaper there.." as if that made up for being bumped. Because it was the night of the fireworks, many hotels were fully booked, but I was told to "go ahead and start shopping around if I wanted." The hotel we were bumped to was a 2*, and we both slept in our clothes (but that's another review)... Not quite the romantic holiday that I planned many months ago.

The desk manager of the Sylvia was willing to offer us a mere 20% discount on our next stay, which I thought was inadequate and patronizing. Appropriate compensation should be provided for the disruption, time, and stress it caused. High calibre hotels with solid reputations generally pay for the night's stay and at least find a hotel of the same or higher quality for the dislaced guests. Neither was offered.

I expected way more from the management and staff at the Sylvia. Next time I will not rely on an email confirmation and will call personally. Very disappointing and certainly not welcoming or apologetic staff -- I heard more excuses than apologies.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CDCVictoria_BC
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel across the street, but like you mentioned there were very few hotel rooms available in the city on fireworks nights. First, I have to say that you were "bumped" because you did not provide a current active credit card to secure your room. The credit card you gave us was denied and therefore not valid to secure your reservation on the busiest night of the year because of the fire works. The offer of 20% discount was to show good faith as the hotel can not be responsible for your error in not providing a valid credit card. All hotels cancel reservations that are not secure and resell the rooms to ensure all rooms are sold. If this was in anyway the fault of the hotel we would have handled this differently. Should you have any other comments or questions I would encourage you to call me directly to discuss further. A note to all guests when booking a room in a hotel you must ensure that the credit card you give to secure your room is valid for the time that you will arrive in the hotel to avoid what happened to this guest.
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Staff are amazing and courteous. The room is so clean. The updates are beautiful. The view is spectacular. Room service was delighful, the dinner and dessert was fine dining with large portiond. So impressed.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank-you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the room service and desserts in the restaurant. The staff I feel work very hard to exceed our guest’s expectations and when a guest writes a review and mentions the crew I know that we are on the right track. We look forward to serving you again on your return visit to the Sylvia Hotel
North Wales
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Sylvia hotel is totally unique in that it has an impressive history and is architecturally different to the other hotels in Vancouver.
We stayed 3 nights and above all we wanted a quiet room with a comfy bed...and that's exactly what we got. In fact we stayed in three different hotels during our BC trip and the bed at the Sylvia was by far the most comfortable, so thanks for that.
I would like to offer some criticism but only in a constructive way
1. The welcome could be a little more friendly. I travel a lot with my job as well as for holidays and I have certainly experienced much worse than at The Sylvia, but suffice to say it was not very warm.
2. Value for money. We stayed in three different BC hotels, The Sylvia was by far the most expensive, but was also by far the most tired and weathered. I can appreciate the character side of the hotel but we could not open the right hand wardrobe drawer because it had come completely off the runners, and the towel rail was hanging off in the bathroom. By the way we stayed in room 244.
We spent time in the bar and had a great time. Service was great.
We had one meal sat on the terrace and the food and service were very good.
Overall we had a lovely time, but for the price point one would expect a little better. Hope The Sylvia take this the way it was intended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking time to write a review and offer your comments about your stay. I will pass along your comments about the check-in staff to the Front Desk Manager to review with her crew. I was disappointed with your comments as we take so much pride in customer service at the Sylvia. I appreciate your comments and do take them with your intention in mind, thank-you for sharing. I have made a note about the issues you mentioned and will follow up with my maintenance department to review. As for the price, I feel that if compared to other hotels in the area we do offer good value and during peak season the rates are higher than the rest of the year. I hope that you will come back again and please stop by the desk to introduce yourself. We look forward to your return.
St Gervais sur Mare, France
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wonderful hotel, which we stayed in at the beginning and again at the end of our trip. On our return we had an apartment which was an added bonus. Very welcoming and friendly staff. Excellent sleep quality, large beds and quiet location. Make sure you have a good walk around Stanley Park you will be amazed at the number of squirrels of all colours.

Room Tip: The apartment was great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank-you for staying with us on the start and end of your trip. Happy to read that you had the time to walk around Stanley Park. Guests leave comments about how much they enjoyed the quality of our beds. I hope that you will return to Vancouver and stay with us again.